Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

alexmhm
Adept I

Threadripper 3960x Cooling

Hey everyone, first post here!

I recently made a build with a Threadripper 3960x and a Kraken X73 360MM AIO cooler.

When running render tests with Cinebench R23, I am hitting between 85 and 90 degrees celsius. The clock speed is set to auto, and is running at 3.9GHz at 1.27v. Cooler is running at 2700rpm with liquid temps of 33-36 degrees. 

I've applied aftermarket MX4 paste, and have adequate contact. The weird thing is, that seems like pretty low liquid temps and the air it exhausts is relatively cool. The radiator itself is pretty cool too.

What should I do here? Is it normal?

0 Likes
7 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

alexmhm, please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) - simply drag-n-drop the image into your reply.  Any measurements not made by RM are probably wrong!  Enjoy, John.

Thank you so much for your reply! Here's a screenshot of RM under load:temps.jpg

0 Likes

Looks fine to me, alexmhm.  I have a 3970X and a SS for R20.  Will post it soon when I find it.  I run with a purely stock system and default BIOS settings.  What are your CB scores, please?  More later.  Enjoy, John.

So 90 degrees temperature is fine? In R20 I'm getting 13650 score, and in R23 about 32000. I'm really worried about the temp. I watch videos online and people are getting 60 degrees with air coolers... how am I at 90+. Thank you for your input!

0 Likes

alexmhm, I cannot find my SSs of my 3970 - will keep looking.  There is only one valid temperature for Ryzen and that is reported by RM.  Temperatures between vendors cannot be compared.  Each vendor measures them differently.  The original Threadripper had a limit of 68C and starting with 3xxx series it is 95C.  The processor manages the powers/temperatures and I do not try to interfere.  I would suggest you try doing a Clear CMOS and running again.  Do the temperatures change much between R20 and R23?  I will try R23 when I get my 3970X back together.  I am waiting an RMA for my Enermax cooler.  My R20 score on the 3970X was about 17000.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Yeah I know. But my reported temp in RM is 90 degrees. There's no way that can good. No, the temps don't change between R20 and R23

0 Likes

alexmhm, it looks like I will not get at my screenshots until I get my 3970X system back up.  The cooler should be in California today and then coming back soon.  Maybe by the end of next week I will be running again.

@alexmhm wrote:

There's no way that can good.

I would say 'no way that can be bad'.  I suspect AMD does not like paying warranties. Silicon can easily run 200C (Google large Si rectifiers - 2000 Amperes or so, specified at 200C ambient).  Military specification is 125C.  There is an article of an IC running at 400C - don't know the details.  Lots of video processors run at a 100C+.  Each user does as they like.  I run my system stock (except for 3200 MHz XMP) and let it run as it wishes.  I trust AMD to protect their product and income.  I cannot remember my temperatures but I suspect they are less that yours.  My approach is to run all my fans and pump at 12 volts directly from the PS.  I run NO vendor software and only a freeware Internet speed reporter.  I find vendor software to be poor quality at best and lots of freeware just plain wrong.

Enjoy, John.

0 Likes