cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

pastorpastor
Journeyman III

threadripper 3000 (zen2) road map question

HI, I am a recent AMD customer, I bought a threadripper 1950x and a compatible motherboard in december 2018 , because AMD roadmap was planning to release new threadripper 7nm zen2 after ryzen 3000 zen2 this year.

While the  TR 1950x is a good cpu for rendering or encoding ...I feel it really slow for everyday usage (a lot of hanging and latency when used in a heavy loaded environnement ) so for me it was just temporary.... I bought a TR4 Motherboard because I was waiting for the TR 3000 zen2 like the messiah ...

And now ....... I'm seeing in the last roadmap published last week that threadripper 3000 is no more in the 2019 roadmap, so .... What a big disappointement !!! So , sorry to say this, but I feel I've been duped !

Could you reassure me with good news ?

Thanks

0 Likes
10 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

pastorpastor, this is a user forum, I am a user, I do not work for AMD and most who post here also do not.  I know nothing about AMD's Roadmap.  I suggest you open a support ticket with AMD Online Support.

I have a 1950X and see not crashes or hangs but do not render.  If you would like some help, please post your specifications, problem descriptions and a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) - simply drag-n-drop the image into your reply.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Thanks john for your Answer.

I contacted AMD online support, I hope they will give me good news

I never have crashs with the 1950x (a very good point!), but the cpu become sluggish and slow when the system is heavy loaded (info: the RAM is not running full), it seems that there are some latency problems or someting like that ..

The single core performance is not very good neither so this HEDT CPU is slowing me down all the day, I just save time when i'm running the 3D rendering ... It's a bit annoying while it is supposed to be HEDT hardware.

So that's why, when I bought a x399M taichi, it was with a view to get a threadripper 3000 zen2 7nm later but ASAP ...

Now I don't know how long I will be obliged to keep the cpu, But I'm really pissed off.

0 Likes

pastorpastor, I hope they do respond.   I think you are a brave person.  I have heard all kinds of rumors about when DDR5 and PCIe4 are going to be available (mainly last year). 

Especially if you are interested in OCing, post the screenshot of RM and I may be able to suggest something.  My everyday system is a 2990WX and I run XMP 2 (3200 MHz) when I am not doing certain testing.  Most users, I suspect, are not aware that the AMD Fabric (communication between chips)  runs at memory speed.  So especially on my 2990WX with 4 numa nodes, really zooms at 3200 MHz vs 2133 MHz (default, SPD).

pastedImage_1.jpg

Coherent Links is Fabric.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

hi misterj,

I got an answer ... they don't know ...  wait for the computex :-/

but I'm not very optimistic to see the new threadripper this year

I know about the infinityfabric throughput, that's why I was focused more on the next generation TR that at least double the throughput.  this 1950x is very good for rendering but it is so slow for everyday use (latency on software interface and such ) , I guess that for the 32 cores it is worse.

0 Likes

pastorpastor, got an answer from whom?  I never noticed my 1950X not being anything but responsive and my 2990WX is by far the snappy-ish machine I have every use!  Both have a 3xSamsung 960/70 EVO SSDs in RAID0 and that is much of the secret.  If that is important to you then it can certainly be done.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Just so you know. They do read these from time to time. Someone submits them to the head board. So it MAY get through to them. I have had some of them read my post an get to work on some projects based off my comments an concerns.

0 Likes

Sorry, warsun, I do not have a clue who or what you are talking about.  Please explain.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
pastorpastor
Journeyman III

Got the answer from amd support.

by the way I have the same motherboard as you.

I have also a M2 ssd samsung 970 1To for system, and a Samsung 850 EVO 4 To for data. (raid doesn't add much difference except in rare cases )

The storage speed is not the problem anyway.

I feel this cpu is slow because I'm comparing it to the other pc I have at home, a small i7-6700k@4.4Ghz (4cores with HT) witch is way faster when using 3dsmax modeling, or photoshop , etc .. My ex-workstation was a i7-6950x 10 cores (with HT) @ 4Ghz that was also faster in everyday use (not rendering)

the 1950x is way faster for a mono-task multithreaded software like encoding , rendering  but as soon your system is heavy loaded (I don't mean memory loaded,  because I have 32gb and my system is most of the time using only 20Gb max) with a lot of software: photoshop, 3dsmax, acdsee, firefox with a lot of tabs (50 average), acrobat with at least 5 tabs, word and powerpoint (all this on 3 screens, 1 in 4K ). the system is becoming sluggish and unresponsive.

even with 3dsmax alone I can feel the latency, the way the icons, tabs and panels are opening, it is really less responsive than a 6950x or a 6700k in the same situation, ok the frequency is higher (the i7 6950x was @ 4Ghz, the 6700k is @ 4,4 Ghz ans my 1950x is @ 3.8Ghz) but the feeling is worse than the number, in a heavy loaded windows situation it's even more sensible.

Maybe it is a windows related problem, but I don't care, this piss me off!

0 Likes

OK, enjoy, John.

0 Likes

you too john

0 Likes