Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

cgorange
Adept II

Re: Threadripper 2990WX Crashes / Instability

Yeah, there are a lot of posts about CAM and freezing.. take a look at this one

https://www.reddit.com/r/NZXT/comments/8jcx8o/cam_appears_to_be_causing_massive_hard_system/ 

0 Likes
tylr
Adept I

I actually got 4 sets of 2×8 ram, and I ended up putting them all in, without having any issue for a week, my cooler is a Kraken X72, I just finished building another rig for a friend, and I recommended him to use a Cooler Master cooler instead of NZXT Kraken, which I think is a much wiser choice.

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

A friend of mine is having problems with his Enermax water cooler. Same old worked for 3 months and now he's hearing a rattling and has bad temps.  He showed me this cooler from cooler master.  Does this cooler look good? MasterLiquid ML360 RGB TR4 EDITION | Cooler Master 

Asking because maybe one day ill switch to that instead of the kraken x52

0 Likes
tylr
Adept I

My situation was actually quite similar to how the guy in the post described, I could see things freezing, but I could still move my mouse, or maybe open the task manager, but I can't open new tabs in chrome nor see anything helpful in the task manager, and I cannot restart or shut down my PC from the start menu, the only way was to force shut down by holding down the power button.

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

that's great news.  I just put my 2nd set of ram back in which isn't on the QVL list.  But I took off my OC to be safe. So far so good. but its only been a half day so far. 

Is there any way you could post a ryzen mater screenshot at idle and one while rendering?  if you have any rendering software or run like cinebench 15 or blender benchmark for a while just to see what your temp gets up to?  I'm curious if you have around the same temps as I do and youre the only other person with a Kraken here I think.  I wonder how much better the 72 is then the 52 that I have too. 

Is the cooler you recommended the cooler master master liquid ml360 rgb?

I actually just made a post asking about that cooler which is being moderated now. 

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

This is great news. It's more and more looking like a problem with CAM

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

your kraken x72 has a bigger radiator so it'll be interesting to see if it that's enough to keep the cpu cool or if you really do need a bigger plate. It'll be good co compare our temps

0 Likes
tylr
Adept I

I haven't run any benchmarks lately, but if I remember correctly the liquid temps of my Kraken X72 has gone up to 40 something degrees Celsius, so I guess a bigger radiator could help. However, my graphics card is a Galax 2080ti HOF which is not water cooled, so maybe some of the heat is cumulated from the graphics card to the radiator.

I don't think the Kraken is good at dissipating heat from the CPU though, I have built another pc with a core i9 9900k also cooled by Kraken X72, and the CPU temps could go up to 70 degrees Celsius running cinebench, which is why I never recommend using Kraken cooler anymore.

What I like about the Kraken is its design, it looks really good from my opinion, but the RGB control is not so versatile like the masterliquid  ml360 rgb - yes, the cooler I recommended was this one - which comes with an LED controller. I'll tell u the temps after my friend run some tests, he has moved his PC back home already and I can't get my hands on it now.

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

40 while using all the cores at 100% for an extended period of time?  That sounds too good to be true.  My temps are 33-40 while idle and not doing anything and they go up to 68 when all the cores are at 100% for an extended time running fine bench over and over again. 

I agree on the design. It’s why I picked it too. Back when I had cam I made it so the color would change as the temp changed. So when it would go up to 68 it would turn red and while it was 33 it was white... it was pretty cool and functional. Too bad CAM is so bad.  I also hate when companies put their logo in RGB in prominent places on the product.  At least NZXT was more random then a coolermaster logo which is why I think its better design wise. 

I’m not really interested in the temps for the i9 9900k.. I’m really only interested in the 2990wx temps so I can compare it to mine.  Do you use Ryzen Master? I have example screenshots at the top of this thread. 

0 Likes
tylr
Adept I

When I said 40, I meant the liquid temp.

When using all the cores at 100% for an extended period of time (I use prime95's small FFTs test which I think is a better way of heat stress test than running cinebench over and over again), the cpu temp on the Ryzen Master would up to 67.50. And I guess that is normal? 

0 Likes