cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

cgorange
Adept II

Re: Threadripper 2990WX Crashes / Instability

Yeah, I saw that AnandTech test which is why I didn't think about changing the paste.  There's also a really good youtube video I forget which guy did it.. But he benchmarked a bunch of different ways to apply paste on a 2990wx.  Pretty interesting.  So I did the method that got the best results which was 5 dots. one in the middle and one over each of the 4 chips. Kraken x52 isn't great in my opinion because its a circle instead of a rectangle so it inherently doesn't have the same surface area.. I think it covers all the chips but I've never really looked at it. I'm going to wait for a different brand to release a full plate cooler. I like the EnerMax but I hate that it says Enermax right on the front of the cooler in RGB.  (Yeah, I know most coolers do that). It just looks so bad in my opinion. 

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

hardcoregames™, I disagree.  I have seen several overheating system users reporting removing the HS to find significant HS areas with no TIM at all.  Your half a BB is for AM4 type not TR4 type processors and is probably still too little.  I have also seen users with TIM oozing out the sides - not good either.  To each their own.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

check this out:

xxx.youtube.com/watch?v=nWu2tcm4wL8

Ironically he uses the same type cooler I do where the plate is a circle.

He makes a good point around min 22 where he says that there may be a problem where the screw holes are in the plate because that may be too close to a die or chip and that may cause air bubbles or heat pockets. 

But hey the cooler is on the amd threadripper supported list so it must be ok right?

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

I do like how your cooler directly says it supports 500w TDP and that its full plate.. It's deff better for TR4 no doubt as is your motherboard... no fair

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

cgorange, sorry, the YT link is bad.  Would you expect AMD to put only the very best on the supported list?  Why is there hundreds of memory sticks on the QVL?  I would assume being on the supported list means it is adequate, for more performance get another one on the supported list and probably pay more.  The world is never a very fair place.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

Replace the xxx with www or just copy the YouTube part of the link

I do think that list should be clearer about which are actually made for the product. But, I get why it needs to be general.

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

cgorange wrote:

check this out:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWu2tcm4wL8

Ironically he uses the same type cooler I do where the plate is a circle.

He makes a good point around min 22 where he says that there may be a problem where the screw holes are in the plate because that may be too close to a die or chip and that may cause air bubbles or heat pockets. 

But hey the cooler is on the amd threadripper supported list so it must be ok right?

All 6 of the suggested patterns are still far from the reality of the size of the surface defects to be addressed

a micron is 1/1000 of a multimeter which is below the human eye perception

a 600x microscope would clarify the situation but hardly anyone has one of them handy

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

The different patterns don’t matter that much which is what the benchmarks reveal.  The important part is that the surface gets covered without gaps in the compound.  Which is why a single half a bb dot is really questionable that it will spread enough to cover the whole surface. But, test it and upload a video and show what the coverage is. 

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

thermal pumping with temperature changes combined with the tension will spread it far and wide

power down and let it cool, do the MX-4 as I said, put the cooler back and make sure the clips are on right. Boot up and carry on.

Check the CPU temp with HWmonitor and you will see a little goes a long way

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

Thanks for finding that post. Very helpful.  The guy in the post describes it as everything freezing. For me maybe one or two applications open would freeze but some of the applications wouldn’t like the game i was running or the internet browser i was using and I couldn’t open new applications. But this deff does look promising.

You have CAM software, what cooler do you have tylr? And did you end up putting in your 8 sticks again?  Are your 8 sticks one set or did you get 2 4stick sets?

0 Likes