cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

tylr
Adept I

Re: Threadripper 2990WX Crashes / Instability

Similar situation here, I tried going down to d sticks of ram, but the problem remained, so I swapped in another 4 sticks of ram, which gave me a BSOD, then I pulled out all of the ram and put them all back in, and uninstalled the NZXT CAM, reinstalled the lateat G.SKILL Royal RGB Lighting utility, now at the time of posting this thread, my pc has been running without an issue for almost a week.

Another thing I did was changing the RGB Lighting effects of the ram sticks to Strobing, I had set it to Flash originally, but I doubt the issue had been caused by this.

So I'm not sure about how I seemed to have fixed the issue, good to hear your good news btw.

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

Yeah when i reinstalled windows I didn’t install CAM again or ICue which I used for my rgb lighting before.  

Yeah, its a hard thing because it never really feels fixed without knowing what exactly it was.. like it feels like it could always happen again randomly.  Think it could be CAM?  I saw there was a firmware update that came out a week ago but they dont say what it fixes so I haven’t installed it yet. 

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

cgorange, Google finds several 'hangs' blamed on NZXT CAM.  Please search.  I would suggest you remove all free SW not really needed and see if there are any problems.  You can put them on one at a time later if needed.  Just removing then plugging the memory back in could have cured a problem.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

Yeah after I reinstalled windows I didn’t install any free software like CAM.  I’ll do some searches though. Now I’m curious. 

0 Likes
tylr
Adept I

PC hard Freezing using CAM Software – CAM CUSTOMER SUPPORT 

CAM really might be the culprit, in the post I see very similar issue to ours. And last time I said my PC ran without an issue for 2 - 3 days, I seemed to have closed the CAM software. Until I restarted my PC and CAM auto started then the issue came back.

cgorange
Adept II

I just ran into this post.. Haven't tried it yet but this looks really interesting and sounds like the instability I was having. 

Why does Windows 10 suddenly slow down to a crawl, partially freezes - Microsoft Community 

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

I suggest redoing your CPU cooler with MX-4 which outperforms the stuff you mentioned you used with the Kraken cooler

use a small dot (half a bb) and put the cooler back and boot up

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

Hmm. the 2990wx needs a lot more than a small dot.  Couldn't hurt though. But, I think the main issue is the size of the kraken x52 plate and the size of the 2990wx.

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

cgorange, more than a dot is indeed needed.  I have applied TIM to a couple of TRs and removed one.  The TIM brand makes little difference.  I know some have a favorite but AnandTech tested many from liquid metal to toothpaste and denture cream and all worked about the same except for the liquid metal and last two.  The liquid metal was well best but dissolved AMD processor cases (please avoid).  Toothpaste and denture cream were poorest but really not all that worse.  The important thing is to get a good even coverage.  MSI and lots of others have videos of applying TIM on TRs.  I use a rather long but very thin bead down the middle of the HS and two shorter ones parallel on the sides.  It would not hurt to remove the cooler and see if the entire HS is covered.  I think it is also important for the cold block to cover all of all chips in the processor module - thus my choice of the EnerMax.  I do not remember what cooler you have but you might consider replacing it if your TIM coverage looks good and the cold plate does not cover all of all four chips.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

cgorange wrote:

Hmm. the 2990wx needs a lot more than a small dot.  Couldn't hurt though. But, I think the main issue is the size of the kraken x52 plate and the size of the 2990wx.

lots of people are mislead and use 10-20x too much

the defects are at the micron level, not mm level

0 Likes