cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

tylr
Adept I

Re: Threadripper 2990WX Crashes / Instability

Hi, today I get the programs randomly freezing while my mouse still works problem, so I think changing the power plan doesn't fix the issue. Hope we can find a solution to the problem.

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

Thanks for submitting a ticket.  Yeah, I contacted them. They want me to swap out the psu to test it and then RMA the board if it still doesn't work. 

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

I think you should make another thread and post all your specs like I did at top of my thread and we can troubleshoot it there with your specs.  I've done a lot to fix the problem and I haven't had a freeze in a few days.  I won't consider it fixed yet though.  It's very hard to figure out since it's so random. 

0 Likes
tylr
Adept I

Thank you for your advice, I'm now doing the swapping Ram stick test to see if the issue can be fixed, if not I shall try making another thread.

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

Yeah, go down to one stick and see if it happens. I took off the overclock on the ram too.  You want to try to reduce the variables that could be the problem then reintroduce them one by one then you can tell what the problem is. Keep in touch though. There has to be some common problem solution.

So far I've:

Gone down to 1 stick of ram, taken off the overclock.

Swapped the GPU

Installed a new clean windows. (it still froze after)

Ran windows ram diag on the ram which came out fine.

Found a solution to a different problem that I was having that was caused by the latest nvidia driver which causes glitches with a 2080ti on multiple monitors. 

Ran pcmark10 and 3dmark benchmarks.

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

You should check the QVL lists of your motherboard and see if you ram is on there and the QVL list of your ram to see if your motherboard is on there.. Just to get an idea if they have tested it. For me the motherboard company said 8 sticks wouldn't work with my ram.

0 Likes
tylr
Adept I

I really regret not checking the QVL list before buying my ram stick, I have tried leaving only 4 sticks of ram today and still got the freeze problem, now I have swapped another 4 sticks of ram in to see if it was caused by a bad stick. I have also removed the G.SKILL RGB utility and CAM to see if it's caused by the RGB utilities conflicting with each other. I have seen that your ram sticks are on the QVL list, so it's confusing that you get the same issue too.

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

After reinstalling windows I didn't install cam or icue just in case there was a conflict.  That's interesting it sounds like we have some similar hardware.  I also wish I had checked the lists. I didn't even know about them when I built the computer. Yeah I still had the issue even going down to one stick.  And I tested the ram extensively so I don't think its a ram problem. 

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

go down to 1 stick and start testing between 1, 2 and 4 sticks.. try to figure out if its a slot on the motherboard vs the ram

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

Ok so, good news and bad news.. good news is my comp seems to be stable now.  I haven’t had a crash in a week.  The bad news is I’m not exactly sure what the fix was.  I noticed a different problem than the instability which I didn’t post here but I was getting a random glitch on the screen when ever I played videos like mp4s or even YouTube.  After a lot of testing I figured out that it was because of the latest Nvidia driver. For some reason it causes glitches on one of the monitors when you have more then 1 monitor and if you have a Turing GPU.   The fix is to roll back to an older graphics driver.

So maybe this was also the cause of my instability? I dont know. 

Other things I did to fix it:

-I reinstalled windows 10 pro (that didn’t fix it since it happened again after that)

-Went down to 1 stick of ram.  I’ve gone back up to 4 since and it seems to be stable.  I did windows memory diag on the sticks and they call came out fine. I’m still running without an oc on the ram so the next thing I’m going to try is either put the oc back or put in the other 4 sticks of ram. 

-I didn’t install any gigabyte drivers from their website.  The only things I’ve installed is the AMD chipset from the AMD site and the Samsung m.2 driver

0 Likes