cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

cgorange
Adept II

Re: Threadripper 2990WX Crashes / Instability

So I put it the one stick of ram and undid all the power connections and plugged them back in to the mobo and psu.  Now when I did it I noticed that the main 24pin mobo connector on the psu wasn't in all the way so.. either I didn't have it in all the way originally or I didn't notice when I was taking off the wires that I may have tugged it without noticing.. In any case I've don't a lot of testing and it seems to be stable. (knock on wood).. I'm going to go up to 2 sticks of ram and test it then back to 4 sticks. so we'll see if its an amount of stick problem or if it was that wire problem. 

0 Likes
tylr
Adept I

My CPU is a 2990wx and I'm not getting the 3600mhz speed, I didn't have the screen going black but I did have issues with programs randomly freezing while my mouse still works, and couldn't shut down or restart the pc without pressing the power button or reset button.

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

K putting in another stick makes the computer unstable. I’m reading online some people that have had that problem manually set their voltages and one guy set his a little higher to fix it.  Has any one had any experience with that?

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

cgorange, I think it is more likely that the slot (channel) or stick is bad.  Try another stick and then another slot till you figure it out.  The simpler solution is always the first approach.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

I’m running a windows memory diag now on the ram. Is it okay to try a random slot? I thought the sticks were supposed to go in a specific slot or is that only if you want dual channel?  I’ll try the 2nd stick that i put in as one stick in the original slot to rule out if its a bad stick.. 

Do you think it could be the psu?  The mobo tech guy said to try a diff psu but I really really dont want to rip it out of my old comp to test it. 

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

I ran into this video.. he has a different problem because his ram has boot issues. But he changes the voltages to make it stable.. I wonder if I have to do that

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9uiK_JYVQH0 

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

This is so hard to debug. For instance I haven’t changed anything and I’m currently rendering something which is using all my cpu, and i have 4 games of eve online open which are running at 40fps each and I’m playing a video and its all running fine with 2 sticks. 

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

Are you running at the default non over clocked speeds then?  Are your settings set to auto or did you manually set them?  I read online some people manually set their ram speeds and sometimes up their voltages to get their ram stable

0 Likes
angryphoton
Adept II

My guess is that you either have a bad RAM stick (or sticks) or one or more of your MB ram slots is bad. You will need to try different combinations to figure this out by swapping sticks and slots. Start with 1 stick only then 2. Test each ram stick and after that start testing by using more than 2 slots. It's a pain though as the possible combinations are quite high. 

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Received a reply from Gigabyte Support but not very helpful. See for yourself:

You want to open a Gigabyte Ticket yourself and input your Motherboard specs which I couldn't.

Good Luck

0 Likes