cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

cgorange
Adept II

Re: Threadripper 2990WX Crashes / Instability

Yeah, That’s what I’m testing now.  4 sticks with XMP off, it reads as 2133mhz.  My mobo might be a newer board so it hasn’t been tested yet but yes I don’t like how my motherboard seems to not get mentioned much. And In hindsight I would have bought one that was on the AMD threadripper website but I didn’t think I was going to have so many problems. I havent built a computer in like 15 years and heard that things got a lot easier.  

Luckily the ram is on the mobo QVL list so I assume it should work fine. 

Thanks for linking your ram, I’ll look into it a bit but.. I spent a lot of dollars on my ram and I’m out of my return period so I would need to figure something out before dropping more money to switch ram. 

I wonder if your ram is on my mobo QVL list and I wonder if its listed with 8 dim support. 

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

Thanks for submitting a ticket and asking them!  My main thought with it is for my ram its just a lower case v instead of V and if upper means like quad channel support than that might mean my ram doesn’t support quad channel and then maybe I should turn off a quad channel setting in my bios or something.. but I know it’s a long shot. 

But who knows maybe your guess is right.. It’s kind of annoying that they don’t list a key anywhere.

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

The comp crashed again while playing a game and testing 4 ram chips unoverclocked in 2133mhz speed.  I had Ryzen master open and my psu logging software and neither showed anything abnormal but both froze and stopped updating so maybe anything abnormal didn’t post to the software.  I’m going to try turning off dynamic local mode just to test it and I’m going to download Open Hardware to log that way.

I think tomorrow I may try a fresh install of windows also.

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

I just ran across this power plan.  Supposedly it's better but, do any of you non crashing, successful 2990wx users use it?

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

cgorange, I have used it since it was first available with no problems.  These plans only change the Minimum and Maximum CPU speed in terms of percent.  Please take a look at the details (you can change) on some.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

I did a fresh install of windows and it has the same problem.  I called gigabyte tech support and they suggested to swap the gpu. I did and that didn’t help.  Then they suggested to swap the psu.. that’s going to be a lot of work since i have to rip one out of my old comp.. I’m really regretting building my own comp now. 

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

cgorange, on these kinds of problems my first suspect is the memory and the second is the MB.  The steps I suggested above on memory is a starting point.  The idea is to determine if it is the memory (and which) or the MB.  My first Ryzen (1800X) build required a RMA for the MB due to a bad memory slot.  My system would hang, usually with the CPU idle.  One of my dual channels was bad and RMA (MB) corrected it.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

Yeah, I went down to 4 sticks with no OC.  I ran memtest and no errors.  I think I’ll test 1 stick and swap the psu.. But I think it’s either the mobo or the cpu. 

0 Likes
tylr
Adept I

I was happy to see this post some days ago, because I had had the exact same issue with me after building my new pc, and couldn't find a way to fix the issue. After seeing the power plan settings screenshot, I tried changing the Balanced power plan to High performance and the issue haven't happened since then, it's been running for 2 days already and the issue seems to be fixed, you may try the same fix and see if the issue remains. I'll update here if my pc crashes again. 

Also, thank you very much for posting this issue! I had been troubled for a week.

At first I also suspected that it was because I used 8 sticks of 3600Mhz Trident Royal ram which are not listed on the qvl lists of either AMD or Asrock websites, which made me really troubled, they are not cheap ram, I hope changing the power plan helps you too.

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

hello, I'm glad it the thread helped you!  Sadly I've had it on high performance for a while so it isn't the fix for me. Which problem you were having?  Did you have the screen screen going black when rendering problem or the programs randomly freezing while your mouse still works problem? did you verify that you are getting the 3600mhz speed in windows and load the xmp profile?  have you tested if it still works on that AMD Ryzen Balanced plan?

0 Likes