Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

cgorange
Adept II

Re: Threadripper 2990WX Crashes / Instability

pastedImage_1.png

yea, this is the first I had heard about it too.  I'm not sure how much it matters though since it just crashed while testing it with the half ram. 

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

G.Skill TridentX RGB F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR Quad Channel is at 3200mhz oc.  Sorry I updated the original post with the gpu.. its a Geforce 2080TI. 

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

cgorange, are you running two quads (64GB)?  I would suggest you try the one quad, then the other and see if you run.  Leave the XMP to 3200 MHz.  Then try it at SPD speed.  I would like to see your Taiphoon Burner output. Thanks and have fun, John.

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

I was originally running two quads to get 64gb then when I noticed the QVL list said it didnt support that ram on 8 dims I took one set out. XMP is still on at 3200mhz but it's still crashing. I'll post a Taiphoon Burner output later. I want to log the psu and see if the voltage is dropping like the guy in the other post's problem. 

I'll also test the ram at spd speed. 

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

The last time it crashed I was playing a game on steam.. I restarted the comp by pushing the restart button. Went back to steam and now it says that that game isn't installed. Very very strange.  There are files still in the install location. 

I did notice one time when I was working on a file and my comp crashed I tried to save the file I was working on. When I restarted the file was corrupted. 

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

Really weird.  Are you running the latest W10 and when was your latest install?  I found a Tom's Hardware article that said an 11 GB version of your video card can  consume up to 350 Watts.  Is this your situation?  You have reduced your power need by removing your Quad kit.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

I am running the latest windows 10 pro install.  I don’t think its a max power issue because my psu software says I’m only using 450 watts max output while gaming.  I think that’s a total for the whole computer, and I have a 1000 watt psu so there should be plenty of headroom. There should be plenty of clearance.  I monitored the psu voltage log while playing earlier to see if it has voltage drops like the person in that other post has and so far there are no drops. It’s a steady 12.5 - 12.3 volts. It hasn’t crashed yet though so I need to see if it drops before a crash so I need more testing. I also took off the XMP overclock on the ram.  The QVL list for my ram has a lower case v instead of an upper case V under XMP. I wonder what that means. Does upper case V mean supporting quad channel? So maybe that would mean in XMP mode it doesn’t support quad channel since it’s a lower case v?  If only they put a key somewhere so you knew what it meant. 

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

Thanks for the link but I don’t see anywhere where in the link where it says what “V” (uppercase v means) Did I miss it?

0 Likes
angryphoton
Adept II

Try testing with only 4 sticks at stock memory speed (no XMP) which I think is 2133MHz. If I am not mistaken, 3200MHz speed is XMP speed. Curious thing also, in GSkills QVL, your motherboard (or even X399) was not listed.

xxx.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16q-32gtzr

Also note that GSkill memory that is tailored specifically for AMD usually ends with the letter "X". This doesn't mean that non "X" ending memory is not compatible for AMD, but the one's with "X" at the end are probably a better choice. 

Here is my RAM:

xxx.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2933c16q2-128gtzrx

Scroll down a bit and see the middle of the page and see their "X" marks the spot for AMD!" description. 2990WX from what I have read are notoriously finicky with RAM and I read a lot of forums (vRay, corona forums) saying that you need to be very selective with RAM and the 2990WX. This is why I chose the RAM I bought very carefully. 

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Oops, made a mistake, accidentally deleted the message while trying to edit it.

Post back with Gigabyte Support reply if they should answer.

0 Likes