Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

cgorange
Adept II

Threadripper 2990WX Crashes / Instability

Hello,

Over a month ago I decided to build a Threadripper computer and have been having some problems. Randomly the computer will stop being able to launch new applications.  If I try to restart it will hang on the restart window. Restarting it by hitting the button fixes it.  I do a 3D rendering from time to time at home for work and last night the screen went black and I had to pull the plug to be able to start the comp again. It actually sounds a lot like the problem that the guy on this thread is having.

Threadripper 2990WX Crashes 

Here are my specs.

Part
Motherboard Gigabyte X399 Aorus Pro
CPU Threadripper 2990WX
RAM 2 sets of 8GB x 4 G.Skill TridentX RGB F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR Quad Channel

Geforce 2080TI
PSU Corsair 1000w HXI 80+P
NVME M.2 Samsung 1tb 970 evo
SSD 2x Samsung 2tb 960 evo
Liquid cooler NZXT Kraken X52 Liquid Cooler
Case Corsair Crystal 570x
Thermal Paste Cooler Master High Performance Thermal Paste

Windows 10 Pro

At first I thought it was a problem with my windows installation but now I’m starting to think that it could be an incompatibility with some of the hardware.

Any help or advice about the hardware or why its crashing would be amazing. I’m running meatiest now and so far nothing is coming up.  The next thing I’m going to try is take out one of the sets of 32gb ram. 

I just noticed this. I found my ram listed on the mobo approved ram but it looks like there isn’t a check under 8 dim.. and I’m using 2 sets of 4 sticks so I’m using all 8 dims. Is that why its crashing you think?

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_x399-aorus-pro_250W.pdf 

Thanks

0 Likes
84 Replies
misterj
Exemplar

Re: Threadripper 2990WX Crashes / Instability

cgorange, we have talked before and I think your PS is large enough.  Is the memory on the QVL list?  Please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master before removing half the memory, which I think is a great idea.  I truly believe the referenced thread has a lack of power and not qualified memory problems.  Please read it again.  The problem is worked around by removing half the memory or disabling half the cores.  Got to go, more later.  Need to know video card(s).    Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

pastedImage_1.jpgpastedImage_2.jpg

Yeah the memory is on the QVL list of the motherboard but check this out.

pastedImage_3.png

It's missing the v for 8 dims.  So I'm guessing that means the mobo doesn't support 8 dims of this ram. 

Does anyone know what the uppercase V means vs lowercase? does it mean dual or quadchannel?  There's no key for any info. 

The comp still crashes in game mode with cores disabled so that isn't the fix.  But I haven't tested rendering in game mode so I don't know if it does the black screen crash. 

Is it weird that Dynamic Local mode is on in creative mode? 

0 Likes
angryphoton
Adept II

Maybe the easiest way to test the theory out is to simply pull out half the RAM? I would just do that as a first step as it is very easy to do and it has some logic to it as your RAM is not QVL certified to run on all 8 dimms. Pull out half the RAM and test it by rendering something overnight? 

0 Likes
angryphoton
Adept II

One more thing, not 100% sure but the fastest RAM that is supported by a 2990WX system running all 8 DIMMS is 2933 (some have claimed to top this but with a LOT of manual OCing and trial and error). Looking at your screenshot, you are running it at 3200 on all 8 DIMMS? I would suspect that is your problem. Running 3200 RAM is OK, but not on all 8 DIMMS, the maximum DIMM slots you can use running 3200 RAM is 4 slots only. 

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

I just took half the ram out and am about to test it. also I noticed in my manual it said to install ram in a certain order which I didnt do before.. so I did that too just in case.

yeah, I think that's part of it too.. if you look at that QCL pdf you have to go pretty far down the list to much slower speeds in order to fine ones that support 8 dims.  I wonder if its worth testing the ram not overclocked.

0 Likes
angryphoton
Adept II

Yes, sort of assumed that you would place the RAM in the correct slots. The correct placement is in your mobo manual but almost all the time it will be staggered. If you don't stagger, it either will not work at all or will only work in dual or single channel mode instead of the quad channel mode that it is supposed to work at (assuming you have 4 sticks of quad channel memory). About under clocking the RAM, not sure how that will affect your stability, I would recommend following the QVL lists. 

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

cgorange, if you mean certain order - install A2 then B2 then C2 and last in time sequence D2 - does not matter.  You should install the first Quad in A2, B2, C2 and D2.  Time sequence does not matter.  In general the more memory, the slower it will be able to run.  First one Quad of 8GB sticks is 1 rank, meaning one chip load per bus line.  Plug in a second Quad of 8 GB sticks and you have 2 rank, meaning 2 chip loads on each bus line.  This brings about twice the load capacitance and is harder to drive and almost always slower.  A Quad set of 16 GB is 2 rank and two of them is four rank, meaning 4 chip loads per bus line.  The higher the rank, most likely the slower the response.  With today's chips 8GB is the largest 1 rank stick out there.  I think soon we will see 16GB 1 rank sticks.  The SPD speed is almost always slower than any of the XMP speeds.  This is the default and is where testing should start.  My 3200 MHz sticks have a SPD (Default) speed of 2400 MHz.

angryphoton, I strongly suspect cgorange has his sticks in the correct slots.

Please do not forget Thaiphoon Burner to display your memory specifications including SPD and XMPs.

Enjoy, John.

EDIT: cgorange, please tell us exactly what memory you want to run and how fast.  If you posted your video card(s), I missed it, so please post again.

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

I wasn’t talking about the position of the ram in the slots but aparently there is an order to putting the ram in. 

0 Likes
angryphoton
Adept II

To be honest, this is the first time I have heard you need to put ram in a certain order. There are prescribed slots is you are using 1, 2, 4 or 8 dimms but never heard that you need to put them physically in a certain sequence as long as you follow the recommended slot configuration. The motherboard is dead/powered off when you put your ram so I have no idea how it will know the sequence you placed it in. 

0 Likes