Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

cgorange
Adept II

Threadripper 2990WX Crashes / Instability

Hello,

Over a month ago I decided to build a Threadripper computer and have been having some problems. Randomly the computer will stop being able to launch new applications.  If I try to restart it will hang on the restart window. Restarting it by hitting the button fixes it.  I do a 3D rendering from time to time at home for work and last night the screen went black and I had to pull the plug to be able to start the comp again. It actually sounds a lot like the problem that the guy on this thread is having.

Threadripper 2990WX Crashes 

Here are my specs.

Part
Motherboard Gigabyte X399 Aorus Pro
CPU Threadripper 2990WX
RAM 2 sets of 8GB x 4 G.Skill TridentX RGB F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR Quad Channel

Geforce 2080TI
PSU Corsair 1000w HXI 80+P
NVME M.2 Samsung 1tb 970 evo
SSD 2x Samsung 2tb 960 evo
Liquid cooler NZXT Kraken X52 Liquid Cooler
Case Corsair Crystal 570x
Thermal Paste Cooler Master High Performance Thermal Paste

Windows 10 Pro

At first I thought it was a problem with my windows installation but now I’m starting to think that it could be an incompatibility with some of the hardware.

Any help or advice about the hardware or why its crashing would be amazing. I’m running meatiest now and so far nothing is coming up.  The next thing I’m going to try is take out one of the sets of 32gb ram. 

I just noticed this. I found my ram listed on the mobo approved ram but it looks like there isn’t a check under 8 dim.. and I’m using 2 sets of 4 sticks so I’m using all 8 dims. Is that why its crashing you think?

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_x399-aorus-pro_250W.pdf 

Thanks

0 Likes
84 Replies
cgorange
Adept II

A friend of mine is having problems with his Enermax water cooler. Same old worked for 3 months and now he's hearing a rattling and has bad temps.  He showed me this cooler from cooler master.  Does this cooler look good? MasterLiquid ML360 RGB TR4 EDITION | Cooler Master 

Asking because maybe one day ill switch to that instead of the kraken x52

0 Likes
erata
Adept I

Hello op, me and a friend of mine have the same problem you were experiencing. Doing random stuff like not installing CAM or removing and plugging the memory sticks worked for you, correct? You haven't experienced the problem since your last post half an year ago?

0 Likes
iamhere
Journeyman III

Here's my experience on how I fixed the issue in my own case. First of all, I believe that the computer was crashing because of the heat. But I noticed that my CPU temp was only 62 degrees or less whenever it crashed. What I noticed was that 99% use of my RAM was causing trouble.  I use 64GB ram, so when I removed my 4 sticks of RAM it worked longer but still crashed my system somehow.

My PSU is fine

GPU is fine

BIOS is updated

All drivers updated

So I decided to lower my RAM (64gb) speed from 3200mhz to 2133mhz. Also, I changed my DRAM voltage from 'Auto' to '1.210V'. Lastly, I switched off 'Core boost performance'. After switching off 'Core boost performance' my 2990wx won't cross 3GHZ. Before it would jump from 3GHz to 4.2GHz automatically from time to time...

I strongly believe it is a RAM issue, and it was drawing too much power which in turn n was overheating the mobo. So I changed my DRAM voltage to 1.210V (before it was on auto) and set my frequency to 2133MHZ.

Also, its summer here. So once winter will come I will definitely increase my RAM frequency and Core speed.

So far I've done too many stress tests and it hasn't crashed once!! 

0 Likes
JC6180
Journeyman III

Coincidentally, I have the exact same problem with this chip.  There might be a flaw in the design of the 2990WX series.  My 2990WX crashes with PRIME 95 benchmark, and FREEZES randomly under Windows.  From the PRIME 95 benchmark, it points to a defective core that is causing Windows to freeze.  Even as doing a fresh installation of Windows can easily cause it to freeze on you half way through installation.  Currently waiting for AMD to replace it under Warranty, but haven't heard back from them yet.

0 Likes

JC6180, I suspect you do not have the same issue.  With no information on your system, I cannot really tell.  I suggest you open a new thread and post all your relevant information.  I also suspect you have not uprooted a design problem but it is possible you have a bad chip.  My MB had a problem causing memory errors, but not an AMD problem.  My 2990WX always ran great - never crashing except for the memory errors in the Event Viewer.  Thanks,  John.

0 Likes