cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

amd_egt
Journeyman III

Threadripper 2990WX cooler

What is the best cooler for AMD Threadripper 2990WX? 

We tested the system with "Silent Loop 280m silent premium water coolers from be quiet”. But the temperature is around 68 C and it downgrades the clock speed to 2.8Ghz.

When we load 4GHz OC preset. The temperature goes to 78 C and after 5 min the PC blocks (stops) and needs to be restarted. 

The test with Air " noctua u14s tr4 with 2 FANs" cooler provide better results. Without overclock is around 55 C and don't downgrades the speed .With overclock is around 73C but don't stops.

PC will be for calculating purpose and will work full loaded for around 10-14 hours without interruption.

Could you suggest me cooler. 

Thank you in advance.

Asus X399-E Gaming, s.TR4
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX
BiQuiet 280mm Liquid Freezer 2 * 140mm TR4
RAM 32GB Kingston 3200MHz 4x8GB
Ati Sapphire HD6450 1GB DDR3 
Seagate 1TB 7200rpm
Samsung 512GB, 860 EVO Series, SATA3, 2.5" 
Case InWin Black 509
Zalman ZM1200-ARX, 1200W 80 Plus Gold 

0 Likes
9 Replies

If interested, Here is AMD Recommended CPU Coolers for Ryzen Threadrippers: Thermal Solutions for Ryzen™ Threadripper™ Processors | AMD 

Take that list with a grain of salt.  I got the Kraken x52. It’s on the list and looks awesome and gets the job done. But it’s not the best cooler on there if you want it to actually cool your cpu.  I get idle temps of around 33-40 and it hits 68 when rendering so it’s probably throttling the cpu when rendering.  I am still getting a nice 3.125 - 3.2 ghz at render time but.. I dont have the head room to overclock anything and I dont like being at the temp limit. So I recommend asking other people here and getting of the coolers they got. Misterj and Angryphoton both have good temps.

0 Likes

I guess you do realize that it is an AMD Official list for Threadrippers in general. Also I believe you also know that not all Threadrippers have the same TDPs as per this AMD Website: Ryzen™ Threadripper™ Processors | AMD 

The Ryzen CPUs 2990 and 2970 all have a TDP of 250 watts whereas the Ryzens 1900 up to Ryzen 2950X have a 180 TDP.  

So it is possible the CPU Cooler your purchased may not be strong enough for a 250 watt Ryzen but sufficient for a 180 watt Ryzen.

So I wouldn't dismiss the list with a "Grain of Salt" since it is possible you purchased the wrong CPU Cooler for your Ryzen. You need to make sure the CPU Cooler is capable of cooling the type of CPU you have installed.

Note: The Kraken x52 does seem to be a strong CPU Cooler. By the way, there is a recent FIrmware Update for the Kraken X series CPU Coolers: Kraken X52 Water Cooling Fan | Liquid Cooling | NZXT | NZXT 

Here is a very good review of all compatible Ryzen Threadripper CPU Coolers by Tom's Hardware: The Best Air and AIO Liquid CPU Coolers for Threadripper 2 CPUs 

It mentions all three Kraken X CPU Coolers. You seem to have the least powerful of the series but does mention it supports both 180 and 250 Watt Ryzen CPUs.

0 Likes

I probably was a little too critic with the grain of salt comment but like you said its a general list.  I’m just saying that since Threadripper has a wide range of needs. Like the TDPs you listed that list should be more selective to the coolers that are better for it.  Like I said. My Kraken does the job and in the end its my fault for not doing more research on it before I bought it. I litterally looked at that list and went for which cooler looked the best when I picked parts for the comp. 

Thanks a lot for that firmware info, I’ll check it out. 

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

amd_egt,  I suspect your water pump is not turning.  Please feel your in/out hoses and make sure you feel a temperature difference - check the speed.  Some of those temperatures you report are not possible and I suspect your reporter.  Please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM).  It is the ONLY valid temperature reporter.  I will add more later, maybe with a little less suspicion.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

EDIT: Here are my specifications:

MSI X399 Creation, Threadripper 2990WX, 3xSamsung SSD 970 EVO RAID0, 4xSSD 960 EVO on
MSI AeroXpander RAID10, 1TB & 500 GB WD Black, G.SKILL Flare X F4-3200C14Q-32GFX,
Windows 10 x64 Pro, EnerMax-MaxTytan-EDT1250EWT, Enermx Liqtech TR4 280 CPU Cooler,
Radeon RX580, Aquantia 10 GbpS Ethernet NIC, UEFI E7B92AMS.120, AGESA SummitPI-SP3r2-
1.1.0.2.  Here is an RM screenshot:

pastedImage_1.jpg

I am not familiar with your cooler, but I have never seen my CPU over 53C on RM.  If your cold block covers all four chips in the processor module (as mine does), I would expect yours to give similar results.  I do have a full tower case with two 140mm fans under the radiator and two 193mm fans above.  They all are very quiet and I run them directly off the PS at 12 Volts.

Here are your specifications:

pastedImage_2.jpg

Your maximum CPU temperature is 68C and when it gets close, the CPU voltage and Clocks will be reduced.  It should never exceed unless you disable PROCHOT, then you are asking for hurt.   Enjoy,John.

0 Likes
angryphoton
Adept II

As far as I know, there are only 2 brands of AIO water coolers that have full TR4 plate coverage. Enermax and Coolermaster, both have issues though. 

Just look at the Newegg reviews for both of them and you will see why, but below are my opinions:

Enermax Liqtech TR4 II

- pump still fails after some time

- fans not that good, can get noisy 

Coolermaster MasterLiquid ML360 RGB TR4 Edition (or whatever size)

- the plastic bracket at the pump almost ALWAYS breaks 

- fans are not so good

Honestly the best watercooling solution for TR4 now is a custom loop if you plan to heavily overclock. 

If you plan to leave it on stock, the Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 is probably your best bet. I personally use a Corsair 115i RGB Platinum but it is not full plate coverage. It is only "OK" , not great. It is however very reliable and also pretty  . I went with watercooling because I wanted the aesthetics (but did not want a custom loop). I cannot do heavy oveclocking with my cooler. 

amd_egt
Journeyman III

@angryphoton I changed cooler with this "Enermax Liqtech TR4 II" now is ok we will se how long. On 3.6Ghz after 4Hours on 100% load  temperature is 55C in office room. PC will be placed in Server room is much coldly there. And yes other water coolers don't full  cover  CPU.

On 4Ghz. temp. go to 65C MAX.

@misterj That is PC on 4Ghz with other water cooler "be Quiet!"

amd1.jpg

Thanks you.

0 Likes

Thanks, amd_egt.  Do you have PROCHOT disabled?  I am really surprised that RM is reporting CPU temperature at 76C.  That is 8C over the maximum.  I expect the processor management code to reduce the core Voltage and clocks to prevent this.  I have taken a copy of your screenshot and will send it to AMD and ask what is going on here.  I would assume if PROCHOT is disabled, then there is no limit to CPU temperature.  I have an open ticket on many RM problems and will add this.  Also PPT and TDC are not displayed and several memory parameters are zero.  I have already asked about EDC not being displayed.  How much of what kind of memory do you have?  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Wow 4ghz is a nice speed

0 Likes