cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

softprogram
Adept I

Re: threadripper 2970wx

MSI MEG X399 CREATION   search for internet driver download . And keep it for later os installation .

The problem i think that your cpu has throttle temperature so that the cpu drops the frequency . Only by this way . What cooling system are you using ? . Buy a better one .

And so this machine gives the service for cloud computing .  How much for a month ? . I do not know how to contact with you in this forum .

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Remember that the maximum boost clocks listed for a CPU are usually for lightly threaded workloads.  So when only a few cores are in use, the processor will boost those higher.  If all cores are in use, the boost you observe will definitely be reduced.

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

ajlueke, I do not agree.  Boost is much more dependent on the quality of the CPU cooler and settings in RM.  Right now brashen has a clearly defined PPT problem - please see RM screenshot below.  Until that is dealt with, it is not possible to comment on what the maximum boost can be.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

brashen‌ mentioned that his boost clock was "supposed to be 4.0 GHz".  And was only seeing 3.5GHz.  This is probably a reference to the max boost clock of 4.2GHz quoted for his processor by AMD in the specifications.

I was merely pointing out that the max boost clock usually references the maximum clocks you would expect to see, which typically occur under lightly threaded workloads.

So the fact that he doesn't see above 3.5 on all cores is not, in fact, unusual.

Sure, you can raise the boost clocks by messing with voltage limits and cooling, but the all core boost will still be lower than those under lightly threaded workloads.

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

Thanks, ajlueke.  It appears that AMD expects the user to at least OC the processor and use a Quality cooler to achieve the boost maximum.  I would agree with you that a user will probably not get very close to the maximum boost without OCing.  When brashen returns and lets us know what OCing is acceptable, we should find out.  I think he can get very close.  Please see this thread. All 32 threads are running.  The maximum boost for the 1950X is 4.0 GHz but I stopped raising the PPT limit at 400 and could go to 500 Watts .  Also see this on PBO and watch the included videos.  I know some users will not agree to any OCing as it voids the warranty but many will because Ryzen does this very well.  The internal (SoC) protects the processor and prevents thermal runaway.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes