cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

peteypops
Journeyman III

Threadripper 2950X no longer boots with XMP enabled.

Threadripper 2950x,  Gigabyte X399 Designare EX BIOS F12, 64GB RAM (4x16GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black, PC4-25600 (3200), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 16-18-18-36, XMP 2.0, 1.35V

This system has been working perfectly for nearly 2 years. Just recently its refused to switch on, even so much as to trigger the PSU to switch on. When it does this I have to clear the CMOS, then it switches on again. It works for approx a week and then does it again.

I noted that after doing this a few times I had not been re-enabling XMP on my memory, so I did that. The system switches on but fails to post with code F9 'Recovery capsule is not found', then d0 'CPU initialization error', then switches itself off.

It does this 3 times after which it boots normally, (I assume it turns XMP off at this point) but when I check the memory speed its running at 2133. Should be 3200.

I have tested each of my 4 DIMM individually in single channel mode, they all show exactly the same behaviour.

I have reseated the CPU, the socket was perfectly clean even under a magnifying glass.

Is the d0 error message necessarily indicative of a CPU fault?

Has anyone else had a problem with Threadripper suddenly not liking high memory clocks?

I personally am leaning towards the Mobo, but not sure how to go about proving it having no way to swap out CPU or Mobo.

Any thoughts?

0 Likes
2 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

tried to respond but forum said authentication failed and threw my text away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please ask AMD to find my response they threw away and restore it.

EDIT#2 Try new PS!

EDIT#3  0xF9 –0xFF  Recovery errors (PEI)
               0xD0 –0xDF DXE errors

Aptio

0 Likes
peteypops
Journeyman III

More on this.

On advice from my son I decided to manually configure the DRAM to cut out XMP. I have configured my RAM to run at 3200/1.35v and the same problem occurs.

If I configure to run at 3000/1.35 it boots and runs at 3000! BUT its still at 1.2 volts.

So it would appear that for some reason my X399 is failing to run the RAM at the configured voltage, weather set by XMP or Manually.

Very weird.

P.S. I have a 1200W Corsair PSU and have been spending most days recently rendering in Blender on my 3090. Fairly sure the PSU is sound....

0 Likes