cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

zyryte91
Adept I

ThreadRipper 2950x 90 Degrees Air and AIO

I have a Threadripper 2950x and the mobo is the Gigabyte x399 Desginare ex. I have tried an enermax liqtech ii 280 aio and the amd coorsair wraith ripper and one is air cooled one is a liquid aio and my temps are 90 Degrees Celsius when Idle. I have tried many things and i cant reach the 35-40 Degrees at Idle no matter what I do. Can anyone Help me figure out why. There should be no reason I am 90 degrees Celcius when Idle.

This is a brand new system I just built so all parts are brand new

16 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

zyryte91, what you posted is not possible since the maximum temperature for your 2950X is 68C and it would have powered down already.  Please check the specification for AMD and use the only reliable utility, also from AMD - Ryzen Master (RM).

Max Temps:68°C

Please post a screenshot of RM - simply drag-n-drop your image into reply.  And please post all your parts.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

If that temp you are getting is legit and those are new parts, then I would quickly exchange that CPU, and if you have the same thing happen again then it is likely a MB reporting issue. That CPU as already stated should not go beyond 68c. 

pokester, those temperature do not count unless they come from Ryzen Master.  It is premature to suggest the user RMA the processor.  HWMonitor is known for bad readings!  Enjoy, John.

First thing I said "If that temp you are getting is legit ". 

When Zen 2 came out many utilities did not report temp correctly. To my knowledge and it certainly does on my system that has long ago been fixed with updates. HWINF CPUz/CPUID and Ryzen Master all report identically. So you feel free to use whatever you are comfortable with. I do agree it would be very wise to also check it with Ryzen Master. If HWINFO isn't reading the same for you then I highly recommend you update the app. 

zyryte91
Adept I

Ryzen master shows 41 while shows PTC is 95, I'm not sure what PTC isPTC High.jpg

Thanks,    zyryte91.  I do not know what PTC is except WRONG!  Please search for Robert Hallock's (AMD technical spokesman) article on these free monitors.  Some of them jazz the the processor to stir up some activity.  A post here the other day, I think by AMDMatt, pointed to Robert's article saying one monitor, jazzed the processor as often as every 200 milliseconds for 20 milliseconds.  The best advice is use RM and and no other and NEVER use more that one at a time.  Enjoy, John 

0 Likes

Not sure why you are resorting to yelling at the OP and telling him how wrong they are?

He is referring to the fact that the number that he thought was the actual temp in hardware info was really the thermal limit number. The actual temps are on a status page in HWInfo. It can be a confusing app to navigate. 

Then his reference to PTC is shown at the top right of "Ryzen Master" as he already posted the picture of above, exactly the app you suggested he use. PTC is the point at which Ryzen Master says the processor will throttle when that temperature is reached. That max temp is 68c as shown on the AMD spec page: https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2950x 

Has me a bit worried though as this by AMD's specs in Ryzen Master is too high. My guess is that this number is derived from a database not actual temps in any way. Since the thermal limit of this Threadripper CPU is much lower than that so must be the throttle point. So maybe a flaw in Ryzen Master?

You are correct about about many 3rd party apps having a difference in the way they report the temp. On average though, they show the same temp. 

Many of the 3rd party apps poll the cpu at much more frequent intervals and freaks some users out not knowing why the temp is jumping all over the place.

Ryzen Master sees the same thing it just doesn't report it in real time as to not give all the sporadic reading and gives more of an average. Neither is necessarily wrong. Regardless it is good to have another app to run as a double check if you think something may be wrong. Additional ways to validate are typically a good thing. I for one leave core temp running all the time and have no issues with it whatsoever. When I launch Ryzen Master the numbers are always in line with core temp. 

Just like when Zen 2 came out Zen 3 may require updates again to be compatible and give accurate reads. Obviously 3rd party apps will likely not be on parity with what an official app from the manufacturer may provide. In the case of core temp though, it's feature set is not only used by it's own app but integrates into several other utilities that many users find very helpful. Using them doesn't make anyone wrong. It's always smart to validate against the standard in this case Ryzen Master. 

PTC is the Maximum Operating Temperature of your processor when it will start to throttle. Your Processor's Max. Oper. Temp is 95C so your PTC is 95C.

Thanks I was typing a reply at the same time. 

Ryzen Master in this case concerns me though as it is not reporting the correct PTC for that processor as the max temp is 68c for that processor. 

Must be a bug or the OP has an older version installed.

The PTC that Ryzen Master is showing is for 3rd generation processors and not 2nd generation processors.

Thanks for verifying that Core Temp has similar temperatures as Ryzen Master. I use Core Temp for my Desktop CPU Gadget to keep me aware if my FX8350 is overheating unexpectedly. That was how I was able to find out my old CPU Cooler wasn't working the way it should and made me upgrade to a more powerful CPU Cooler.

I still run gadgets too. In addition to seeing the temps I can set alarms as well with the gadget that will go off if thermal limits are reached. 

A guy named Igor maintains a large library of great monitor gadgets that are resizeable and you can set the resolution so they look good too at modern desktop resolutions. 

Here are the links if you would like to try them. His page is about impossible to find through search although his gadgets are also downloadable through many other places.

https://windows10gadgets.pro

Runs great in https://8gadgetpack.net

I highly recommend System Monitor II and it uses core temp.

I also like his GPU Monitor although a couple features don't work with current gen cards. 

You will have to disable ad blocking to get his download link and be careful you click the right one. Some of his links go to advertisements. 

System Monitor II gadgetGPU Monitor gadget

Those pictures are old his current versions are from 2020. 

0 Likes

That is the same place I got my gadgets. I also have those gadgets on my desktop. Really useful.

I used 8gadgets to install the gadgets in Windows 10. 

They say great minds think alike. I have no idea what our excuse is! LOL

zyryte91
Adept I

just looked it up, so HWMonitor is showing point for thermal throttle as the CPU temp, so my cpu is actually at 42 wow, thank you guys helped a lot

You must have been looking at the info page and not the sensor status page.  You can set sensor status to run on startup by clicking settings. The current CPU temps are then about half way down the list.