cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ziggy1971
Journeyman III

Threadripper 2920X/2950X coolers?

I'm looking for some advice on a really good liquid cooler (AIO).

I've been looking at systems on PCPartpicker to check out what others are using on their Threadrippers and it seems that the NZXT Kraken X62 and the Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 360 TT Premium Edition are popular choices.

I have a new Corsair H115i and my temps hit 68C (Tdie temp using HWiNFO64 5.92) pretty easily. Though I don't see it getting any higher than that, is that good?

I've been reading reviews and watching Youtube videos trying to make sense of how the thermals work in AMD Ryzen CPUs.

For instance, I've read/watched reviews stating that the reviewers were getting temps in the 50's-60's above ambient temps.

My understanding is that Threadripper begins to throttle at 68C. So, for a reviewer to be getting temps in the 50's-60's C range, that would mean that their ambient temps are below 10C. Otherwise, if the ambient temps were in the low to mid 20's C, the CPU's would be throttling, thus giving inaccurate results.

I also understand that the Threadripper will down-clock when temps reach 90C and shut down at 105C. Is this correct?

Can someone please clarify this for me as it doesn't make sense.

0 Likes
2 Replies

Here is AMD Recommended Liquid CPU Coolers for Ryzen Threadrippers: https://www.amd.com/en/thermal-solutions-threadripper

0 Likes

The Rzyen 2920X/2950X have the same TDP of 180 Watts with a Maximum Operating Temperature of 68C defgrees:

Not sure, But once it starts reaching close to the maximum operating temperature of 68C the CPU starts to throttle to lower the temperature. If it goes past 68 the cpu will throttle maximally and if it can't bring the temperature below 68C it will automatically shut down the computer to prevent CPU or Hardware damage in the computer.

The CPU Cooler you have must be compatible with TR4 Socket Threadrippers. Otherwise it won't be able to cool the CPU efficiently since it won't cover the entire large surface area of the Ryzen Threadripper. Plus the CPU Cooler must be rated to cool CPUs with over 180 Watt TDP ratings.

EDIT: Your new Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler is listed by AMD as being recommended for Ryzen Threadripper cooling.

0 Likes