Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

misterj
Exemplar

Re: threadripper 2 raid

Jump to solution

smath, what MB do you have?  If it is MSI, you need to consider what to do with your HDDs and the data on them.  Please let me know.  If you are not going to create a RAID to install your system, then it is faster and easier to create  using RAIDXpert2 (RX2)  in W10.  You only need to enable RAID in BIOS, then open RX2 in W10 and create away.  I am curious what quad M.2 card you are using.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
smath
Adept I

Jump to solution

John,

My system consists of an Asrock X399 Taichi motherboard, Threadripper 1950X CPU, Geforce 1080 TI GPU, 64 GB ram, two Samsung M.2 EVO 960 500 GB drives and four Toshiba 4 TB HDDs. The machine was built for video editing and was running perfectly till a Windows update crashed it last week.

The OS and all apps are on one of the 500 GB SSD drives and the four HDDs were striped in a RAID 0 for data. The RAID was created using RAIDxPert2 in the BIOS. The second SSD drive is currently empty, I was previously using it as a cache drive for my video editing and motion graphics work.

As I posted to the forum, after the initial crash I was unable to restore the system and I did a clean install of Windows 10 1809. After booting, the RAID was not recognized by Windows. The BIOS sees the RAID when I boot into RAID mode, and when I boot into AHCI mode the BIOS and Windows see the individual drives. The problem is getting Windows to see the RAID.

I’ve been in touch with Microsoft tech support and they think the problem is getting the proper drivers installed. I’ve had several remote sessions with an MS tech support person and they were unable to fix the problem.

I would have re-installed everything, including the RAID, except there is some data on the RAID that I would like to recover.

Thanks for the help,

Stuart

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

Jump to solution

Thanks, smath.  In order for you (Windows) to see the data on the RAID, you will need to set the SATA mode in BIOS to RAID.   I have a ASRock X399 Professional Gaming and a 1950X (also the 2990WX above).  I suspect my ASRock works about the same as yours.  I assume you have set only SATA mode to RAID and not the NVMe mode.  I cannot understand why your RAID was damaged (maybe not).  I would suggest you go into BIOS and set SATA mode to RAID, then boot into W10, install the latest RAIDXpert2 and open it (DL from AMD Driver Download site).  Then post a screenshot.  Here is an old one of mine:

pastedImage_1.jpg

There is a lot of junk here but I think you can get the idea.  Enjoy, John.

EDIT: I have never run an HDD RAID on Ryzen, weird.

0 Likes
smath
Adept I

Jump to solution

John, thanks for that information. In fact I have set the SATA controller to RAID mode in the BIOS and I have also set the NVMe mode to RAID. That doesn't work.

I will try re-installing RAIDxPert2 and trying again. I access RAIDxPert2 through the BIOS screen. I have also installed a version that looks like it is internet based but I have no way to log on. It doesn't accept admin/admin when I try to log on. Which version of RAIDxPert2 are you referencing?

Finally, the screenshot you posted, what is that a screenshot of? I don't recognize it. It doesn't look like a screenshot of a Device Manager window.

Best,

Stuart

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

Jump to solution

Smath, there are two RAIDXpert2 applications.  One is in the BIOS and the other is installed in W10 and accessed via a browser - I use Firefox.  That is a screenshot of an old RAID of mine from RAIDXpert2 in W10. The only thing you need to do in the BIOS is set SATA mode to RAID.  If you do not plan to use NVMe drives (SSDs) in a RAID, I recommend you do NOT set NVMe RAID to active.  There is no way to reinstall the BIOS RAIDXpert2 (part of BIOS).  If you do have a RAIDXpert2 in W10, please remove it, DL and install the latest from AMD Driver Download site, install it and open it using the shortcut:

pastedImage_1.jpg

Enter admin for both and you will get another essentially same screen but with two places for Password.  Enter a Username, enter & reenter a PW.  That should open a screen looking much like mine.  Post a screenshot.  If you cannot login, tell me the error message and we will go from there.  I am beginning to suspect your RAID0 and data are present.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
smath
Adept I

Jump to solution

Thanks John. I will try your suggestions and post my results. It will take a few days because of other work demands.

Stuart

0 Likes