cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Threadripper 1950X system crashing and freezing when gaming or watching videos.

CPU: Threadripper 1950X

Motherboard: ASUS Prime X399-A

RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 (4x4GB)

Graphics: GeForce gtx 1060

600 Watt PSU

Multiple clean installs of OS and all drivers. When playing games system will crash and/or freeze. The same happens when watching videos (youtube, twitch, etc.). When crash occurs while viewing videos sometimes the video windows will simply stop playing and go green, leaving all other content visible. When gaming the display will black out then come back, or it will stay black and the audio and inputs will remain unaffected. Different, known working, RAM and graphics cards have been tested in the system with the same results. All connected devices function correctly when connected to other systems. Sometimes the system will blue screen. Any one have an suggestions? I'm anxious to get the system up and running.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Adept I
Adept I

Re: Threadripper 1950X system crashing and freezing when gaming or watching videos.

This is pretty much a shot in the dark, but can you try using the GPU in another slot?

0 Kudos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: Threadripper 1950X system crashing and freezing when gaming or watching videos.

It was a good suggestion, unfortunately one we already tried. However, I'm happy to report that after a full day of troubleshooting and reaching out to manufacturers we were able to pinpoint a single stick of the ram as the culprit.

Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Maybe an (unfixed) bug like this? AMD Confirms It's Issuing a Fix To Stop New Ryzen Processors From Crashing Desktops | Digital Trends

My PC crashs too. Using 3D-Software Cinema 4D by Maxon. My YouTube crash video: RenderPC und Cinema 4D. Crash - YouTube

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X mit 69 °C (Tctl, Tdie 40°C)

RAM: 8,00GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 1599MHz (16-18-18-38) (or 32GB G.Skill SniperX Urban Camouflage DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16 Quad Kit: SKU F4-3200C16Q-32GSXWB)

Motherboard: Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. X399 SLI PLUS (MS-7B09) (SP3r2) 38 °C

Graphics: S2243W (1920x1200@59Hz) @ 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 (Gigabyte) 36 °C or GTX970 4GB

Storage: 465GB Crucial CT500MX500SSD1 (SSD) + 931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 (SATA) 41 °C

Optical Drives: No optical disk drives, Audio: High Definition Audio

NOW I changed the RAM, too. DDR4 32GB (2x16384MB) F4-3200C16D-32GTZSK. still crashs. help, please.

0 Kudos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Changed SSD and RAM... installing Win18.03 and Cinema4D R 19.053.

Last updates:

BIOS 7B09_A20 -> 7B09_A33

Intel Network Drivers -> 22.9.16.0

AMD Chipset Drivers 17.4.2011 -> 17.7

realtek audio 6.01.8302 -> 6.0.1.8412

Working with Cinema 4D crashs again.

0 Kudos
Exemplar
Exemplar

misfit, the most obvious problem I see is insufficient power supply!  I use a 850 Watt Enermax and see no problems.

misfit and schro, make sure you have plenty of horsepower in your supply, are running qualified (by your MB vendor) memory and no OCing till you have a stable system.  Enjoy, John.

BTW, most 16 GB memory sticks are dual rank, meaning double load on bus and slower speeds.

Journeyman III
Journeyman III

misterj, Do you use Cinema4D? I use a 750 watt power supply unit and only one graphics card. 750 watts seem more than enough to me. Rendering should demand more power from the power supply than a few mouse clicks. 40 minutes of rendering worked perfectly so far. But a few seconds to click is already too much for the PC.

Missfit solved the problem by swapping RAM, not me. My new RAM is qualified by your MB vendor.

0 Kudos
Exemplar
Exemplar

Thanks, schro.  I do not use Cinema4D and am not familiar with it.  Is it something I can play with for free?  If so, with some help, I can try.  I think 750 Watts should be enough and your temperatures all look good.  I would be surprised if misfit continues to run fine with only a 600 Watt supply.  Your system should be faster with 4x8 GB.  I assume you are running 2 channel memory.  Your problem could still be memory.  I suggest you try another 2 Channel memory slot pair.  Try all pairs if still failing, then try one stick in several slots, then the other stick.  If you have a stick problem it should show and if you have a slot problem it should show.  Please let us hear what you learn.

Does you system produce minidumps when it crashes?  If so, please compress and post the folder: "C:\Windows\Minidump".

Here is my system:

ASRock Fatal1ty X399 Pro Gaming, Threadripper 1950X, 2xSamsung SSD 960 EVO RAID0, 1TB & 500 GB WD Black, G.SKILL [Flare X (for AMD)] F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Windows 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.0

Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Kudos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Hi, thanks for your answer. You get a Cinema4D Demo for free Demo Download - MAXON | 3D FOR THE REAL WORLD

I tested 8, 16 and 32 gb ram. I always used the prescribed slots.

No Minidumps.

0 Kudos
Exemplar
Exemplar

Thanks, schro.  OK, I have DLed and installed MAXON Cinema4D R 19.053.  It had several Demos that I did not install, but I assume I can later.  Do any of those crash your system?  I opened and updated the application but do not know what to do next.  Can you post a file for me to test with?  Thanks and enjoy, John.