Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

zizomass
Adept I

Threadripper 1950x slow

Hello

I have a 1950x threadripper, but it's basically impossible to use it in create mode. Even without any open program, windows is constantly slow, drop frames or even freeze the system. Forcing me to turn on compatibility mode, which basically shuts off half the processors.

I have an Asus x399-A. A H100i v2 liquid cooler. 32gb RAM, a VEGA FE liquid and two M.2 corsair MP500, even so the performance of my computer in the creation mode is ridiculous.

Would anyone have any idea why my processor is performing so low?

Thank you

0 Likes
8 Replies
waltc
Miniboss

Hmmm....doesn't seem to be slow for anyone else...;)  What is "creation mode," btw?...lol...;)  Never heard of it...;)

0 Likes

It's a preset mode in the AMD ryzem master software :v

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

zizomass, I have a 1950X and it is not slow, in my opinion, but I, like waltc, do not know what creation mode is.  Please run some standard benchmark, such as PassMark, and post the results for us to compare.  What OS are you running and where did you get it?  Where did you get your drivers?  Please tell us more about your system - memory details, video card, etc.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

It's a pre set in the AMD ryzem master application.

I use Windows 10 64bit.

I take all my drives in the respective manufacturers websites.

OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Versão 10.0.16299 Compilação 16299
Tipo do sistema PC baseado em X64
SKU do sistema SKU

Tipo de processador 16-Core AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X, 3700 MHz (37 x 100)
Nome da Placa Mãe Asus Prime X399-A  (1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x4, 4 PCI-E x16, 2 M.2, 1 U.2, 8 DDR4 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN)

Chipset da Placa Mãe AMD X399, AMD Taishan, AMD K17 IMC
Memória Física (RAM) Instalada 32,0 GB
DIMM1: Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX4M4C3200C16 4 GB DDR4-2133 DDR4 SDRAM

DIMM2: Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX4M4C3200C16 4 GB DDR4-2133 DDR4 SDRAM

DIMM3: Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX4M4C3200C16 4 GB DDR4-2133 DDR4 SDRAM

DIMM4: Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX4M4C3200C16 4 GB DDR4-2133 DDR4 SDRAM

DIMM5: Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX4M4C3200C16 4 GB DDR4-2133 DDR4 SDRAM

DIMM6: Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX4M4C3200C16 4 GB DDR4-2133 DDR4 SDRAM

DIMM7: Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX4M4C3200C16 4 GB DDR4-2133 DDR4 SDRAM

DIMM8: Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX4M4C3200C16 4 GB DDR4-2133 DDR4 SDRAM

Tipo de BIOS AMI (01/03/2018)

Adaptador gráfico AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition 16GB HBM2

Monitor LG UltraWide WQHD (DisplayPort 10-bit)  (2702250080)

Thanks, John

0 Likes

Run Memtest86 to rule out a faulty RAM module and/or RAM controller, and Prime95 SmallFFT to rule out a faulty processor. If it works perfectly with half the cores disabled I'd bet it's a faulty processor, and you'll get an error on one of those.

0 Likes

zizomass, thanks for the additional information.  I think black_zion has Game and Creator modes confused.  Game mode runs one chip (8 cores) and Creator runs both (16 cores).  I do not use Ryzen Master nor OC.  So here is what I suggest:  open your BIOS/UEFI and hit F9 (Default) and F10 (Save and boot).  Then run PassMark​ (free trial) and post the results here.  Please look at your Taskmanger-Performance-Memory and make sure W10 is seeing all 32 GB of memory.  Use a command prompt to run winver and post what patch level you are running on 16299 (I'm on 431).  Open Settings: WinKey-i - Apps - AMD Software - Modify.  After a few seconds, you should get a screen like this:

AMDsft.jpg

Please post it here.  Just close the dialog.  What is making you think your system is slow?  black_zion's other ideas are good.  There is a W10 memory tester I have used.  It probably does not do as well as Memtest86 but is easier to use: Windows Key + R, type “mdsched.exe”, then reboot.  Please let us know what you learn.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

EDIT: The F9 and F10 keys are from my ASRock MB.  Please use the appropriate keys for your board.

Hi there guys

I did some tests on my computer. And apparently all the memories and cores of the processor are working perfectly.

But I seem to be able to solve the problem. I downloaded Avast to make sure it was not a virus that was damaging my computer. And after some scans, the program informed me that it had about 150 corrupted windows registry files.

I asked the program to carry out the repairs. And now my computer went back to working as usual.

I honestly can not understand how this may have affected my performance, primarily because it only affects the performance of the computer with the 16 cores connected. But the problem seems to have been solved for now.

Many thanks, guys.

0 Likes

Thanks, zizomass.  Great that the problems are resolved.  You may want to consider a fresh install of W10 including a fresh AV from the start.  Enjoy, John.