cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Threadripper 1950x performance not as expected.

Hi guys, I recently bought a new PC and I'm in a bit of a struggle here. When I built it I benchmarked it in Cinebench and I got a score of 1977pts which was way too low. I then went into BIOS and activated the X.M.P. and then the score went up to 2650pts. After that, I overclocked it @4.0 GHz and the score was around 2950pts. So, yesterday I decided to benchmark it in Corona 1.3 benchmark and the results were way lower than expected. I'm posting screenshots from both benchmarks. I hope someone has an idea what's going on, any help would be highly appreciated.

AMD Threadripper 1950x OC@4.0Ghz

Gigabyte x399 Aorus Gaming 7

Enermax LIQTECH TR4 360 (water cooled)

Corsair Vengeance 2x16GB @3000MHz

Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Samsung 960 PRO M2

PSU: Corsair HX1000i (1000W)

cinebench_score.jpg

Corona benchmark.png

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi, thanks for your reply. I figured out that the power cord for the CPU (8+4 pins cable) wasn't properly inserted in the MOBO and after I reconnected the cables I got a score in Cinebench - 3244 (@4GHz). Anyway, the score in Corona hasn't changed that much but I'm guessing it has to do with something else rather than the hardware itself. The lower number of rays per sec is the thing that bothered me. I downloaded a test interior scene from Corona and Rays/sec number was above 10 million which is the performance you'd expect from a Threadripper.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies

When you say "way lower than expected" what were you expecting? I'll post mine for comparison. With twice the number of cores and threads, and considering I run my 1800X at 4ghz and not 3.6, you're getting about twice the score in Cinebench, though your Corona score is low compared to mine, but that doesn't mean anything. You using the correct memory mode?

0 Likes

Hi, thanks for your reply. I figured out that the power cord for the CPU (8+4 pins cable) wasn't properly inserted in the MOBO and after I reconnected the cables I got a score in Cinebench - 3244 (@4GHz). Anyway, the score in Corona hasn't changed that much but I'm guessing it has to do with something else rather than the hardware itself. The lower number of rays per sec is the thing that bothered me. I downloaded a test interior scene from Corona and Rays/sec number was above 10 million which is the performance you'd expect from a Threadripper.

0 Likes

Did you resolve this issue?

If so would you mind posting the resolution or marking it as such to clean up the message boards here for those searching for answers related to 1950x performance?

Thanks,

Justin

0 Likes