cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

Re: threadripper 1950x on asus prime x399-a

Check to see if there is a BIOS update to better support your CPU and memory timings

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Problem is he can't even boot into BIOS. The motherboard original version of BIOS shows it to support his CPU.

He is using Memory not listed in the motherboard's QVL list. But it should still boot up. The CPU Fan doesn't even turn on. It is as though the motherboard doesn't see any CPU installed at all. The only thing that shows power to the motherboard was the RGB lites.

Is there any way of updating the BIOS even though the CPU is not working or being able to log on to BIOS visually?

The OPS did ask me that question, but I personally have no idea how to update the BIOS on a motherboard that doesn't even boot up or the CPU doesn't seem to be powered on.

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

maybe different memory might work

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Am not that familiar with how the RAM Memory exactly interacts with the Motherboard, but would a non compatible RAM Memory prevent the CPU from not working at all. If the CPU Fan is not working, does that indicate that the CPU is not being detected by the motherboard?

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

elstaci and hardcoregames (TM), the OP's board has FlashBack and should not require a CPU installed at all to update the UEFI, just a USB stick in a special socket and press of a button on the rear.  I have used it on my ASRock MB with no problems.

BTW, hardcoregames (TM), how do I get the neat TM superscript like you do?

Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Nice feature of updating BIOS without booting up. Good work around for updating Motherboards with wrong BIOS version installed. Easier than having to ask for a AMD BOOT KIT to update an AMD Motherboard BIOS.

But I have a feeling that updating the BIOS in this case may not work. Since the Motherboard already has a compatible BIOS installed from the manufacturer. I would think that the CPU fan and all other fans would be working even if the Motherboard is not compatible with the CPU.

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

I agree, elstaci and the OP has said RMA is in process.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

HARDCORE GAMES™

0 Likes
falloutboy
Journeyman III

The only other things I can suggest and bare in mind I'm walking into the middle of this.

Ensure fan header for CPU Cooler is plugged into the CPU cooler fan connector and not another by accident.

Ensure Vid card is in the first slot and has all the pre requisite power cables attached.

Ensure your connections are solid to your PSU and you have everything in the right connection holes if it is modular.

With the power disconnected and using anti static protection remove the memory modules and leave them out. reconnect power - are your results any different when powering up?

Remove motherboard from chassis and try running it on the bench in case you have a chassis short.

Sorry if you've done all of this just trying to help as I know how frustrating this can be.

0 Likes
tomdooley
Adept I

Hi all,

the MB and CPU are currentlly in RMA-Process, so no more testing on my part. @falloutboy yes I have all of your suggestions tested and nothing changed. Meanwhile I recieved a tip for the mounting of the CPU. AMD says to open the socket follow the screws 3-2-1.That's OK. To close the socket in reverse order, but it's better to

turn on screw 2 and 3 first one or two turns before turning screw 1 to the limit, then turn rest to the limit.

To anyone who reads this: Use the Mounting-Tool that is provided with your Threadripper. It's a Torgue-Tool which clicks at the right torgue