Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

tomdooley
Adept I

threadripper 1950x on asus prime x399-a

Hello,

trying to mount this processor on this MB. The MB tells me on onboard-post cpu and on Q-code left digit 8, right digit blank. Anyone have some suggestion to resolve this

TIA

Tom

0 Likes
21 Replies

I don't quite understand your question. Can you clarify it further.

Also please post your Computer Informations as per AMD Forum Rules: INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION .

Are you saying that you are having a difficult time installing your Ryzen CPU on the Motherboard's Socket?  Or that you are getting an error message when booting up?

0 Likes

Hi elstaci,

it's a new system. AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950x, MB Asus Prime X399-A, atm one GSkill Ripjaws DDR4-3200 16GB Module, Videocard atm Radeon HD6450. It's the first Startup, Cpu-fan is not run running. Errors as described above.

btw Thank you for your reply

TIA

0 Likes

Is the RAM Memory on the QVL list for your motherboard? http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socketTR4/PRIME_X399-A/PRIME_X399-A_memory_QVL_report_201712.pdf...

This is the Asus RAM MEMORY QVL for DDR4 3200 list from link above:

DDR4 3200 Qualified Vendors List (QVL) 2 DIMM 4 DIMM 8 DIMM

ADATA AX4U320038G16-B 32GB(8GB*4) SS 16-16-16-36 1.35V ● ●

CORASIR CMD16GX4M2B3200C16(Ver3.21) 16G DS N/A Heat-Sink Package 16-18-18-36 1.35V ●

CORSAIR CMK32GX4M4B3200C16 ver 4.31 32GB(8GB*4) SS 16-18-18-36 1.35V ● ●

G.SKILL F4-3200C14Q-32GFX 32GB(8GB*4) SS 16-16-16-36 1.35V ● ●

G.SKILL F4-3200C16Q-32GFXR 32GB(8GB*4) SS 16-16-16-36 1.35V ● ●

G.SKILL F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR 32GB(8GB*4) SS 16-18-18-38 1.35V ● ●

G.SKILL F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR 32GB(8GB*4) SS 14-14-14-34 1.35V ● ●

G.SKILL F4-3200C16D-16GTZR 8GB*2 SS N/A Heat-Sink Package 18-18-18-38 1.35V ● ●

HyperX HX432C16PB3K4/32 32GB(8GB*4) SS N/A Heat-Sink Package 16-18-18-36 1.35V ● ●

PANRAM PUD43200C164G4NJW 16GB ( 4GB*4) SS N/A Heat-Sink Package 16-18-18-39 1.35V ●

PATRIOT PV48G320C6K 8GB ( 4GB*2) SS N/A Heat-Sink Package 1.35V ● ●

TEAMGROUP TF1D416G3200HC16CD01 16GB(8GB*2) SS 16-18-18-38 1.35V ● ●

TEAMGROUP TF2D416G3200HC16CD01 16GB(8GB*2) SS 16-18-18-38 1.35V ● ●

TIGO TMKU8GF58-3200X 8GB*2 DS N/A Heat-Sink Package 16-18-18-38 1.35V ●

Do you have the correct BIOS version for your Ryzen?

Your Motherboard should have the minimum BIOS version of 0318 installed

This is the latest BIOS for your motheboard: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X399-A/HelpDesk_Download/

BIOS

Version 06012018/05/025.29 MBytes

PRIME X399-A BIOS 0601
Update AGESA 1.0.0.5
recommend to keep C-state [enable]

What is the entire Q code (E8, 83, etc)?  Is your CPU fan connected to the Motherboard? Are all your Motherboard power connected?  Which version of Windows are you currently have installed?

According to your Motherboard's Manual, your Motherboard has "3" Power connectors from the PSU to the Motherboard. See the image below.

If your CPU Fan does not turn on that is a very bad sign. Your CPU will Overheat almost immediately without the fan running.

Here is a link to your Motherboard's Manual from Asus Support: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socketTR4/PRIME_X399-A/E13889_PRIME_X399-A_UM_V3_WEB.pdf?_ga=2.1...

I inserted several photos from the manual that will help you determine if you connected your motherboard correctly and what the Q-codes are. Look at each one and verify. This is taken from the link above from your Manual:

0 Likes

Hi elstaci again,

No, not in the list. The Ripjaws are a 2-Modul kit 2x16GB F4_3200_C16D-32GVK CL 16-18-18-38-1.35V. Where do i get the current Bios-Version that is installed? Do you suggest to update the Bios first and than tray again? You don't have to post pics, I have the Manual in hand LOL. As for the Q-Code that is not documented, no Beep, no reaction, only the RGB-lights which is pretty useless.

Power Connections: 24pol ATX, 8pol CPU, 4Pol CPU, PSU Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 850W also new

Thanks again

Tom

0 Likes

You are probably in the minority who actually reads the Motherboard Manual. Normally I attach photos from manuals to help Users.

When you turn on power, What exactly do you physically see that is running? just the RGB lites of the motherboard? The CPU fan or GPU Fan or Case Fans aren't running?

No need to update the BIOS yet until you are able to get an image on your monitor and the computer is booting up normally.

No chance of you installing another CPU on your motherboard is there? Sounds like a hardware failure so far. Is your PSU have the right power switch on 120 or 220v?  The motherboard's troubleshooting LED's, none are lit up?

What is the exact Error code you are getting from the Motherboard? Even if it is not listed?

I would open a Asus Support Ticket and see if your motherboard needs to be RMAed.

Plus, even if you get your computer working, with a non-supported RAM MEMORY installed it may not be quite compatible with the Ryzen CPU and cause you further problems.

Do you have your monitor connected directly on your GPU Card and not the motherboard?  Make sure your GPU card is installed in a PCIe x16  x 8/16 slot on the motherboard.

Try booting up with just one RAM MEMORY MODULE installed instead of both. Just for troubleshooting purposes only. Make sure your PSU is working (fan running if possible) and the PSU connections are securely connected to the Motherboard.

You mentioned that the CPU Fan was not running, after turning on the computer and the CPU very hot to the touch or cool?

0 Likes

tomdooley, please tell us more:  UEFI version, Drives, Power Supply.  Also tell us the status of Onboard LEDs that elstaci pointed to above.  Are you getting this code?  -  0x80 – 0x8F OEM DXE initialization codes

I am not sure what this is pointing to but are you Disabling CSM in your UEFI?  While we are in the UEFI, please do a Clear CMOS as defined by your User Guide.  Make sure the CPU power connections are plugged (all - 24 pin, 8 pin and 4 pin) correctly (4-pin can be rotated 90 degrees) and that they are CPU not PCIe cables.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

HI John,

I don't see anything on the screen , no signal. That indicates the MB doesn't send any data. So no UEFI nothing HDMI connection. Have Clear Cmos done before and I made sure the power connections are ok, no PCIe-cables. On the PSU cpu-cables are black, the PCIe-cables are red and correctly marked.

Thank you for reply

Tom

0 Likes

Thanks, tomdooley.  Please tell us the status of Onboard LEDs (upper right hand of your MB) - please see elstaci post above.  They should be useful - all off is OK.  Also is there any hex code in the Q-Code Hex display, lower left hand of MB?  Things to try:

1. Remove all add-ons (Memory, video, drives, etc... all but processor) and see if will give a Q-Code.

2. Re-seat Processor and check for bent pins in the socket.

If item 1 gives a Q-Code, then add memory and boot, then video and boot, etc.  What is your processor cooler and where is it plugged?  Do you have a volt meter to measure voltages?  I am concerned that the CPU fan is not turning.  Are any other fans turning?  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Hi all,

Thank you for trying to help me. I think too that's a HW-Issue and will send MB and CPU back to the Vendor.

Thanks again

0 Likes

The only other things I can suggest and bare in mind I'm walking into the middle of this.

Ensure fan header for CPU Cooler is plugged into the CPU cooler fan connector and not another by accident.

Ensure Vid card is in the first slot and has all the pre requisite power cables attached.

Ensure your connections are solid to your PSU and you have everything in the right connection holes if it is modular.

With the power disconnected and using anti static protection remove the memory modules and leave them out. reconnect power - are your results any different when powering up?

Remove motherboard from chassis and try running it on the bench in case you have a chassis short.

Sorry if you've done all of this just trying to help as I know how frustrating this can be.

0 Likes

Hi all,

the MB and CPU are currentlly in RMA-Process, so no more testing on my part. @falloutboy yes I have all of your suggestions tested and nothing changed. Meanwhile I recieved a tip for the mounting of the CPU. AMD says to open the socket follow the screws 3-2-1.That's OK. To close the socket in reverse order, but it's better to

turn on screw 2 and 3 first one or two turns before turning screw 1 to the limit, then turn rest to the limit.

To anyone who reads this: Use the Mounting-Tool that is provided with your Threadripper. It's a Torgue-Tool which clicks at the right torgue

Check to see if there is a BIOS update to better support your CPU and memory timings

0 Likes

Problem is he can't even boot into BIOS. The motherboard original version of BIOS shows it to support his CPU.

He is using Memory not listed in the motherboard's QVL list. But it should still boot up. The CPU Fan doesn't even turn on. It is as though the motherboard doesn't see any CPU installed at all. The only thing that shows power to the motherboard was the RGB lites.

Is there any way of updating the BIOS even though the CPU is not working or being able to log on to BIOS visually?

The OPS did ask me that question, but I personally have no idea how to update the BIOS on a motherboard that doesn't even boot up or the CPU doesn't seem to be powered on.

0 Likes

maybe different memory might work

0 Likes

Am not that familiar with how the RAM Memory exactly interacts with the Motherboard, but would a non compatible RAM Memory prevent the CPU from not working at all. If the CPU Fan is not working, does that indicate that the CPU is not being detected by the motherboard?

0 Likes

elstaci and hardcoregames (TM), the OP's board has FlashBack and should not require a CPU installed at all to update the UEFI, just a USB stick in a special socket and press of a button on the rear.  I have used it on my ASRock MB with no problems.

BTW, hardcoregames (TM), how do I get the neat TM superscript like you do?

Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Nice feature of updating BIOS without booting up. Good work around for updating Motherboards with wrong BIOS version installed. Easier than having to ask for a AMD BOOT KIT to update an AMD Motherboard BIOS.

But I have a feeling that updating the BIOS in this case may not work. Since the Motherboard already has a compatible BIOS installed from the manufacturer. I would think that the CPU fan and all other fans would be working even if the Motherboard is not compatible with the CPU.

0 Likes

I agree, elstaci and the OP has said RMA is in process.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

HARDCORE GAMES™

0 Likes
soundi1337
Journeyman III

Anything new? Having exact same Issue. Updating BIOS via Flashback did not help yet.

If anyone got a solution or the cause of the error, it would really be helpful.

0 Likes

I sent the board back to where i purchased it from, between when i returned

it and when they received it there was a new bios update which they assured

me they didnt install. but according to them everything just worked. i dont

know if the board was replaced or what the story was and they just didnt

tell me or what but it now works. i did note from the photo they sent they

were using a very thin video card and had the nic in the slot right

underneeth it something i could not do because my video card is 2.5 slots

wide. maybe that config cleared the issue. im personall of the opinion that

the board was secretly replaced.

good luck

0 Likes