Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

randa71
Adept III

Threadripper 1950X - Max Temps

Hi all,

i'm a very happy happy owner of a 1950X CPU. Incredible CPU, really.

I have this question: i've read that maximum CPU tdie temp is 68° (AMD Spec for 1950X). My CPU is at default. No overclock. Yesterday, i was doing a stress test and only for 2 or 3 seconds tdie temp reached 75° then i stopped the test. I've seen that CPU was not throttling, but CPU only disabled XFR, so clock was 3.4ghz on all 16 cores. I want to know if reaching tdie temp 75° for 2 or 3 seconds can have damaged my CPU. After this test i have done other benchmarks and everything is fine. Performance are what expected. Temp are fine too: running cinebench max temp is 50 or 51°.

Thanks to all

0 Likes
19 Replies

Re: Threadripper 1950X - Max Temps

All Ryzen based processors have a Tmax of 91°C.

0 Likes
randa71
Adept III

my question was if a temp spike of 75° for 2 or 3 sec could damage CPU.

0 Likes

Not yours no.

0 Likes
arnesaknussemm
Adept II

These CPUs are pretty intelligent and manage themselves very well with their SpideySense MI or whatever it's called. Transient spikes in temps or volts will do no harm and sometimes software readings aren't that accurate anyway. No cause for concern in your case I reckon. But you did well keeping an eye on things...no point running the CPU to throttling temps.

68 Tdie/95Tctl is the recommended max, yes.

0 Likes
defalkner
Adept I

arnesaknussemm is exactly correct. 75 isint anything for the 1950X if thats as hot as it gets intermittently (I also have the same CPU in the Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7). I've overclocked the piss out of mine locking all cores at 4GHz @ 1.386v using custom PState control - and I've had mine floating on 85c for a good couple minutes here and there. No issues. If the CPU gets too hot or is saturated with too high voltage it will force off all overclocks and throttle down - mine never did at 85c floating on 1.365v (during VDROOP). Have you considered water cooling? I have a 360mm radiator /w 3 120mm fans and under normal gaming or workloads I sit around 54c 98% of the time. Its only when I use CINEBENCH & Prime95 that the beast gets unleashed and turns into a fire God.  

Also - it's important to understand when AMD suggest a temp of 68c Tdie its the temp suggested by them if the CPU was to be running 24/7 365 - then they suggest 68c for the max temp to be at for those durations. (eg. You dont want to run it 24/7 at 78c ).

But under occasional circumstances such as gaming/benchmarking/encoding video, where its only a few hours here and there once and awhile; the CPU can run much warmer. Now the 95c comes into play. What happens if you hit 95? Will it explode? Nope - it will begin to 'thermal throttle' lowering the frequency to get the temps down automatically. The only real way to destroy the CPU is if you were pumping some outlandish voltages into it at the same time, and the CPU protection mechanisms were disabled in the BIOS - you would only disable these protections when your doing; for instance an LN2 (liquid nitrogen) overclock benchmark. I've had mine at 78c a LOT for long (hours) periods of time benchmarking. The CPU is water cooled and that was that. I don't normally run it that warm but it's a benchmarking circumstance which the CPU is perfectly capable of handling fine. Its still running and kicking rear.

markozawr
Adept I

aida.pngHi,

I liked you explanation so I suppose I can rely on the answer for this question. Is it true that if AIDA64 shows the temperature for Thredripper 1950x in the way that I need to decrease it by 27C to know what exact temp of my processor?

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

My CPU runs a bit cooler but like others said Tmax is 91C which is above the thermal throttle. At 91C you machine will likely GSOD to save itself.

0 Likes
markozawr
Adept I

Do you mean Tmax 91C for Tdie or tCTL?

0 Likes
defalkner
Adept I

Honestly if your wanting to pull raw/accurate data from the motherboard get rid of AIDA64, me and a lot of other technicians have found HWINFO64 (google it) drastically more accurate and detailed (fully supports all threadripper and equivalent motherboards) - it's completely free and supports a portable installation so we can have it on our thumb drives. Threadripper & the TR4 platform will report usually 3 separate temperatures for the CPU. One sensor under the CPU on the motherboard and 2 for each DIE. I dont fully understand the logic but one of the temps for each DIE is around 33c higher and is used as an offset for the motherboard to control temps or the CPU for throttling (I dont understand it either way but its there and not the actual temp, I had a tech explain it to me and that was a year and a half ago). HWINFO64 will correctly expose and show you the temp sensors on the CPU and what the motherboard temp sensor shows. It will save you a lot of headache. 

0 Likes