cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

zersoandones
Adept I
Adept I

Threadripper 1950X base clock at 2.2Ghz - Why?

Jump to solution

Hey guys,

First I would like to say that this is my very first AMD build ever but NOT my first computer build. I am coming from the intel camp over the AMD.

So as the title suggests. I built up my new system, installed the Ryzen master and it read to me that my base clock is 2.2Ghz. I am not sure why this is? isn't the base clock suppose to be 3.4Ghz on this thing? No before you go and shouting to me what are the specs of my system here they are:

• nVidia Graphics Card
    •    Titan Xp (pascal GPU). Two of them
  • Desktop Build
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit
  • Display Devices
    • Asus ProArt PA279. WQHD 2560X1440 @ 60hz using active DP
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • Asus Rog Zenith Extreme Bios version 0503
  • CPU/APU
    • Threadripper 1950x
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • Corsair AX1200i Platinum
  • RAM
    • Corsair Dominator 23GB

I even took a picture of my desktop so that someone can see what I am talking about:

Prime Photos

Any information why this is happening would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cem1950x
Adept I
Adept I

Re: Threadripper 1950X base clock at 2.2Ghz - Why?

Jump to solution

This is just P2 p-state (power saving).  P0 is the normal 3.4 GHz.  Put your computer in Performance or "Max" profile and it should stay at or over 3.4 most of the time.  The p-states on 1950x are 3.4 GHz (P0), 2.8 GHz (P1), and 2.2 GHz (P2).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
whiskey-foxtrot
Forerunner
Forerunner

Jump to solution

Keep an eye on it while putting some load on it. It's trying to trick you, but be careful - it will rip some serious threads!

On a serious note, take it for a spin; if it doesn't change, report back.

0 Kudos
stone_age
Adept III
Adept III

Jump to solution

It's more than likely just the p-states which under-clocks it at little or no load like this:p-state.png

cem1950x
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

This is just P2 p-state (power saving).  P0 is the normal 3.4 GHz.  Put your computer in Performance or "Max" profile and it should stay at or over 3.4 most of the time.  The p-states on 1950x are 3.4 GHz (P0), 2.8 GHz (P1), and 2.2 GHz (P2).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
hardcoregames_
Big Boss
Big Boss

Jump to solution

recent processors all have dynamic clock systems, the so-called based clock is simply a default speed, when saturated the turbo boost kicks in for while as long as the cores do not get too hot and then back down when the load is reduced

my i5-2520m runs at 2.5 ghz but jumps to 3.2 when loaded hard on grid power, ryzen works the same way albeit with different clock speeds depending on the power use and heat

0 Kudos
hardcoregames_
Big Boss
Big Boss

Jump to solution

modern cpus can reduce clocks way down when idle, now < 1GHz and remain ready for work when needed

0 Kudos
zersoandones
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

Really I feel like a damn noob right now. How could I have forgotten about the p-states? wow...

Thank you for pointing that out. I am now reporting back 3.7Ghz on all cores. Happy camper.

Thank you for everyone else for being helpful and responding to my inquiry. Hope I was not to much trouble and provided as much information that was needed.

Zerosandones

whiskey-foxtrot
Forerunner
Forerunner

Jump to solution

No worries - that's why I posted to keep an eye out on the numbers; as you put load on it through p-states, you should see those jump up and devour whatever you throw at it!

0 Kudos
hardcoregames_
Big Boss
Big Boss

Jump to solution

this is why i called my old HD 6970 a power pig, 267W it needed all the power management possible

zersoandones
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

you did and the thing rips like crazy.

I did a fresh install of windows in 8 minutes with this thing. I had a 3960x before and the best I could get was 25 minutes.|

Thank you for all the help.