cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Raiden2000
Journeyman III

Threadripper 1900x overheating

My CPU is overheating even if it is not overclocked. The peak temperature limit for my CPU is 68 degrees. Still it gets upto 72-74 degrees even at just 86% CPU usage. Even my side panel is open . According to toms hardware the max temps at 4.1ghz it should be around 58 degrees with Noctua cooler at full load . My CPU reaches 72 degrees at just 86% usage . Also my fan speed is at full speed 1200rpm .

Specifications : -

CPU - Threadripper 1900x 8 core
CPU cooler - Noctua NH U14s (Single fan)
Motherboard - MSI x399 SLI PLUS

Screenshot of the overheating issue 

0 Likes
5 Replies
Thanny
Miniboss

First, that's not overheating.  Those temperatures are fine.

Second, you can't look at a cooler review and expect the same numbers.  They might have used an open test bench, or a completely different case.

If you want better temperatures, then look to your case airflow.

0 Likes

Generally AMD Recommends a Liquid AIO CPU Cooler for the ThreadRippers: https://www.amd.com/en/thermal-solutions-threadripper

This is the only Noctua Air CPU Cooler that is recommended specifically for the ThreadRipper and listed at AMD: NH-U14S TR4-SP3

"Please note that the NH-U14S TR4-SP3 is a dedicated version for the AMD sTRX4/sWRX8/TR4/SP3 socket. Due to its customised larger base, it cannot be used on any other sockets and is incompatible with Noctua’s standard mounting kits."

You are correct, the Maximum Operating Temperature of the Ryzen ThreadRipper 1900x is 68C. So even under heavy loads or stress it shouldn't reach 68C with a powerful CPU Cooler.

That processor also has a high TDP Wattage of 180 Watts.

If you have the above mentioned Noctua Model than you need to check if is installed correctly or the Thermal Paste needs to be replaced or add a second fan to the Noctua Heatsink.

Also if you have a warm or hot room temperature, above 83F,  that will cause your CPU to run hotter than normal.

0 Likes

One guy on LTT forum said that the temperatures are fine because the reference temperatures which are used in reviews are delta over ambient. So the Tctrl on the AMD website is 68C, so + ambient temperature which is around 22-25 degrees it should be 90-93C. And also at other reviews such as tom's hardware showed in their review that the full load temps with this cooler were around 58 degrees which on adding with ambient temp goes upto 80-83 degrees .

Is this theory true?

0 Likes

As far as I am aware the Max Temps shown by AMD is the Temperature in which the CPU can run safely without endangering the CPU or be considered to be overheating.

Doesn't matter what the Ambient temperature is. What matters is what the CPU Temperature is.

Once the temperature starts to reach or has reached the Maximum Operating Temperature, the CPU is engineered to automatically throttle the CPU speed to lower the temps to the Maximum Operating Temperature or lower.

The only direct effect that Ambient Temperature has is that it can cause the CPU to reach the Maximum Operating Temperature much faster than in a cooler Ambient temperature or cause the CPU to run hotter than normal.

If the Maximum Operating Temperature of the CPU is 68C I am certain before it reaches 85C it will shut down the PC to prevent damage to the processor.

I had a FX8350 whose M.O.T. was 62C. Before the Temp reached 75C the computer would shut down to prevent damage. Doesn't matter what my ambient room temperature is.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use the AORUS LIQUID COOLER 240, in Windows from 43 degrees and in the game up to a maximum of 70 degrees. Full load temperature is given as 77 degrees.

0 Likes