cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

nec_v20
Challenger

The TLDR version of my definitive guide to properly configuring 3rd and 4th Gen Ryzen CPUs

When 3rd Gen Ryzen first came out I spent eight months of work trying to figure out how to best configure them.

This works for ALL motherboards, and you will end up with lower temps and higher performance.

1) Go into BIOS and because I don't know what you have configured there, I would suggest that you load up the advanced system defaults (in my GigaByte motherboard BIOS that's F7).

a) Make sure you are running the latest BIOS (AGESA) version.

2) Find where to change the following

a) VCore LLC (Load Line Calibration) and set that to the second or third highest value - NOT THE HIGHEST

b) SOC LLC (Load Line Calibration) and set that to the second or third highest value - NOT THE HIGHEST

No matter which motherboard you have you will find two Load Line Calibration values to change (different BIOS's call them different names).

c) Apply the XMP profile for your RAM (or DOCP for ASUS).

3) Get rid of the logo at boot (saves you a few seconds of boot time) - optional.

4) Don't enable Fastboot (enabled on ASUS by default) - optional.

For Ryzen, that's ALL you need to change in the BIOS.

5) When you have booted into Windows, make sure you have the latest AMD Chipset Driver for your motherboard installed.

6) Download and install Ryzen Master.

7) In Ryzen Master, make sure you are in the advanced mode

8 ) In advanced mode, click on the first profile "Creator Mode"

9) At the top under "Control Mode" click on "Manual"

10) Under "Voltage Control" enter the Value 1.3 Volt under "Peak Core(s) Voltage

11) Under Memory Control make sure that the Memory Clock and Fabric clock are running at the Data Rate of your RAM (that's half the "Clockspeed" - so for 3600 RAM that would be 1800).

12) Hit "Apply" down at the bottom.

13) Using CineBench R20 you can now chicken clock your CPU clockspeed until it crashes in 25 MHz increments.

14) If you have a dual chiplet 3rd/4th Gen Ryzen CPU then you can tickle out a bit more gaming performance by disabling SMT and running the CPU at a straight 12/16 Cores instead of 24/36 Threads. To do this all you have to do is to create another profile identical to the one above, and under "Additional Control" disable SMT.

You will then be able to clock the CCXs higher than you can running with SMT enabled.

Your CPU will also run a lot cooler.

If you have any questions you can reach me on Discord under the name "Michael Nager#2239"

2 Replies
Bruciemayne
Journeyman III

Works like a charm! He even helped me troubleshoot another issue i had before over discord! Kind guy and a good and concise guide! 

here's the results:

https://imgur.com/a/TKiMul5

p.s. I'm using a Dark rock 4 (NOT PRO) AIR COOLER

The thing is that you were using an air cooler and not an AIO.

0 Likes