Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

shabbirh
Adept I
Adept I

Re: The temps are really high with 3700x

I have an AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, and use a Noctua NH-U12A cooler, and my idles are sitting at between 55-65. However, underload, I don't go above 85.  I do feel that the idle voltage looks a little high sitting at around 1.4V as viewed from CPU-Z with no other monitoring software running except Core Temp 1.14 to show me my temperatures.

I'm pretty sure it is something that will be remedied in a BIOS / AGESA update, but it is concerning, and at this time, as the temperatures here in England are significantly higher than is considered normal (around 35-28 Celcius as I write), the CPU stays closer to 60 than 55.

Come on AMD, this must be fixable, and also Ryzen Master should work with SVM enabled - please, please.

So two key tasks:
1/ Idle voltages and hence idle temperatures

2/ Ryzen master supported when SVM is enabled in bios.

Thanks

ionstorm
Adept I
Adept I

I don't think they've still given us a max voltage, a 100mhz boost and a 7nm shrink and still pretty much at 2700x clock I'd pretty bad, not to mention the big gap in some games vs Intel. 

0 Kudos
shabbirh
Adept I
Adept I

You might find that the post over on Reddit by /u/AMD_Robert is informative and gives you some useful tips to sort out your issues, while waiting for AMD to issue a new AGESA fix that will fix the problems on a more permanent basis.

See: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/ 

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
winwiz
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Above 1.5V is way to high. Of course your temps skyrocket.

If your CPU really requires above 1.5V for boost then you sadly lost the silikon lottery. My 3700x auto vid is 1.5V but actual boost voltage is 1.475

AMD might say above 1.5V is fine for short bursts, but my 20 years of experience overclocking Intel and AMD processors tell me it's really way to high for a 7nm process.

So either lower that vcore and live with 4.3Ghz burst or return your CPU.

PS: My 3700x runs 4.3GHz all core oc @ 1.35V, so the excessive voltage required to go from 4.3 to 4.4GHz is really not worth the shorter CPU life, heat and noice output.

0 Kudos
advanced3
Adept I
Adept I

Does AMD pay you John? 

Why am I not hitting my advertised boost of 4.4Ghz John?

Why does my CPU idle at ridiculous voltages (1.4-1.5v) John?

Why does my 3700x idle at stupid temps 45-55c with a X62 John?

Why does my 3700x default run at 85c with a X62 John?

Then your "advice" is to gimp your CPU by 50% and claim "your CPU is working as intended/designed". 

You're like the band on the Titanic happily playing music acting like nothings wrong while the ships going down. 

clsmithj
Adept II
Adept II

IF you are using a Wraith Prism cooler, did you enable the "H" High speed mode on the fan.  
There's a small switch on the side of he Wraith Prism cooler that out of the box is set to "L" for low speed. 
Set it to high, and you might also want to go into your BIOS and into the CPU Fan monitor section and change the CPU fan control from PWM to DC. 
PWM is usually smart monitoring, which is fine if you want the CPU to actively control fan speed, usually it works with AMD's Cool and Quiet and usually trying to keep your system quiet as possible and cool. 

OTHERWISE it's better to simply maximize your CPU fan's performance by switching the fan control to DC.  The Wraith will spin louder but your CPU will run cooler.

0 Kudos
noa
Adept I
Adept I

Hi ! I have a 3700x too, the MOBO i use is x570 Aorus elite from Gigabyte. I use the Noctua NH-U12S with a push/pull config. 

My settings are the following :

- Everything on default in bios (exception dose the XMP on the memory and PBO enabled)

- The power profile in windows set to Power Saver ( the windows one not the Ryzen one )

idle voltage 0.969-1.106 and temps as low as 31.9C in a room with 25C ambient.

Performance wise there is no loss since the CPU can reach in full load 1.49V (on single core ), 1.33V ( multi core ) and a temp of 74-76C. I measured with HWinfo64 and stress tested in blender and CB15, CB20

I hope this can be of help. 

0 Kudos
ray_m
Community Manager
Community Manager

brucer
Forerunner
Forerunner

ray_m

Should I install the chipset driver you linked above for my x370 board?   I'm running 1.07.07.0725

0 Kudos
MrMarcie
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I have the 3700X now for over a month. It runs a little hotter than my 2700X. I have a Dark Rock 4 Cooler.

Idle will be in the low 40's.

Under some load, what I do the most of the day it runs around 50-60.

When I stress it or render video it will stay around 71 degrees C.

I think these are normal values for this CPU.

AMD all the way. Waiting for the RX 6700 for now.
0 Kudos