cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

glnman
Adept I
Adept I

The recent announcement from Microsoft about not supporting certain CPU's has me wondering just how long it will be before I must build another machine to get Win10 support.

The recent announcement from Microsoft about not supporting certain CPU's has me wondering just how long it will be before I must build another machine to get Win10 support.  Currently my newest build has the FX 8370 CPU.  Can you tell me if this is one that will soon not be supported by Microsoft?  If I could do everything I need to do in Linux I would completely dump Windows but some software simply won't run in Linux unless I put Windows in a virtual machine but that is problematic too.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: The recent announcement from Microsoft about not supporting certain CPU's has me wondering just how long it will be before I must build another machine to get Win10 support.

It was relating to the GPU component of those CPUs. The FX-8370 doesn't have a GPU therefore it does not use drivers therefore Microsoft should not discontinue support.

mistered
Adept III
Adept III

Re: The recent announcement from Microsoft about not supporting certain CPU's has me wondering just how long it will be before I must build another machine to get Win10 support.

It has to do with Microsoft wanting people to go with Windows 10. All CPUs released in 2017 and after would only be officially supported by Windows 10. This includes Intel Kaby Lake and AMD Ryzen CPUs. Microsoft would block updates for older Windows versions installed on computers with these CPUs.

Older CPUs such as the AMD FX 8370 can be used with Windows 7, 8.1 or 10 at least for now. Of course as each O/S reaches its end of support you have to decide what you want to do about that. Which O/S you choose is a matter of personal taste for the most part. Some software requires either Windows 8 or 10 so you have to take that into consideration. Also some older software may work on Windows 7 but not on Windows 8 or 10.

End of Microsoft support

Windows 7 - January 14, 2020

Windows 8 - January 10, 2023

Windows 10 - October 14, 2025

glnman
Adept I
Adept I

Yes, you're right - thanks.

0 Kudos
glnman
Adept I
Adept I

Yes, Microsoft is slowly boxing users in to Windows.  So glad I dual boot Win10/Linux but I can hardly wait to build a new "Ryzen" machine.

0 Kudos
black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

Having moved from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I can say with absolute honestly that I have not had as many problems with programs crashing and BSODs since I used Windows ME.

0 Kudos