cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

blathenberg
Adept I

Temperatures too high on ryzen 5 3600

Hi i recently bought ryzen 5 3600 sitting  on msi B450 tomahawk. I updated to latest bios. Temperatures are too high even on idle its average 60 degrees. While gaming it averages 80 degrees and hitting the max value of 90 degrees. I tried a new thermal paste it helped a bit but not so much. Lots of people having the same issue. Dont tell me about ryzen balanced plan cause i've already done that. AMD has to do something or at least we need an explanation.

0 Likes
14 Replies
dacq
Adept III

If you get the 3600, 2600, 2200g, or 2400G the Wraith Stealth is a bad cooler. Try the Cooler Master 212 evo or the smaller Be Quiet pure rock slim. Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut is a very good paste.

0 Likes
whyamd333
Adept II

I had a temp problem with mine too the fans were not throttling up when it got hotter but a bios update took care of that but just to help it out I bought a Cooler Master 212 Black edition with a push n pull fan set up and now at idle is 32c @ 700rpm and with games or stress test for a few minutes its 65c @ 1450 rpm.  Make sure your fans are throttling / spinning up as the temps go up.

My motherboard is a Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming with Bios #1607 and a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU

Good luck

0 Likes

Thanks. I've heard about cooler master 212 but i'm thinking about a liquid cooler. Something like corsair hydro H100X or thermaltake water 3.0 extreme. What do you think about those cooler or do you think a liquid cooler would be better.

0 Likes

They are better but some air coolers come close so I stick with air. Its just a matter of choice. Liquid sure looks nice and clean inside. I don't over clock much and I don't have heat problems, if I did I would go Liquid.

0 Likes

I decided to buy noctua nh-12s but havent tried yet. I've used cinebench test. On multicore test temp goes up to 94, on single core goes up to 67. I will do the test with the new cooler to see the difference.

0 Likes
gabe
Journeyman III

Check your voltages, I run mine almost a volt under the stock setting. You will see a big change in temps.

I'm running a 360mm custom system and I could still see a big change...

0 Likes

My idle voltages around 1,4v. I didnt manage to lower it but some says these voltages are normal.

0 Likes
whyamd333
Adept II

I would either put that Nactua on or re-seat that cpu cooler and make sure you screw the mount screws all the way down good and snug not torqued.

0 Likes
dacq
Adept III

Someone wrote: “Just idling I was to 30% CPU and running Plex I was at 99%. Follow these steps on windows 10

1) Press Windows key and R at them same time, and then type in the search box regedit and hit Enter.

2) Follow the path to locate the correct system files:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TimeBroker

3) On the right side of the pane, right click Start entry, then choose Modify

4) Change the Value data to 4 then hit OK.

Disable Superfetch

Now idle is 3%.”

0 Likes

Hmm. I wonder what does that changes.

rodrox
Adept III

Also you could try and disable every PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive) option in BIOS.

PBO is not the same as PB (Precision Boost) which is like Intels Turbo Boost. PB is alright, but PBO try to overclock your CPU and is not really working properly with many motherboards. Also from my personal testing and opinion and some known reviewers on youtube too, the performance win of having PBO is really not worth it for now.

Cheers

Thanks for the advice. I bought noctua nh-u12s. Temps reduced significantly but valtages are still high. Maybe thats the way 3rd gen ryzen works.

0 Likes

Good to know, Im planing on getting a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 in a few months (I been actually planing on getting one the last 5 years ....), for now I will stay with the stock cooler till I save some money :-).

0 Likes

There is a new bios that has come out in the last week if you want to try it. I just looked yesterday and asus had it for my motherboard this is to address Linux and Destiny 2 not working right but it could have other tweaks in it that might help volts and temps. I don't need it right now mine is running pretty good. It also seems every time I update the bios it makes it slower.

0 Likes