Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

pck1980
Adept I
Adept I

Temperatures - again...

After all these talk about a temperature offset of 20 degrees on the 1800X and 1700X, I'm pretty confused how hot my CPU (1800X) actually gets.

I compared temperatures shown by AMD's Ryzen master with Gigabyte's Hardware Monitor. Currently, my system is virtually idle, and Ryzen master reports around 60 degrees, whereas the Hardware monitor shows less than 30. Of course I'd prefer if the latter was correct, but I'd expect that AMD knows best how to read the CPU's temperature sensor.

Does anyone know whether Ryzen master is right or not?

0 Kudos
20 Replies
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Temperatures - again...

Ryzen Master should show the correct temperature.

pck1980
Adept I
Adept I

Thank you for your reply, although it is not the answer I had hoped for.

If you are correct and Ryzen Master shows the real temperature, my 1800X gets very hot, and - even worse - the CPU fan control would be based on the wrong (i.e., more than 20 degrees lower) values.

0 Kudos
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

60c bios temperatures are actually 40c. Focus on temps under load, and take 20c off whatever Ryzen Master tool tells you. CPU will not throttle until 75c. (95C in Ryzen Master Tool)

0 Kudos
pck1980
Adept I
Adept I

So Ryzen Master does or does not show the real temperature?

Under load, temperatures shown by Ryzen Master go up to 90+ degrees, whereas those shown by the Gigabyte Hardware Monitor remain around 65 degrees.

0 Kudos
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ryzen shows the correct temperature with the -20c offset. So what you are seeing is 70c.

pck1980
Adept I
Adept I

Thanks again. With correct I meant the real, physical temperature without any offset, so I misunderstood your reply.

0 Kudos
gkeawe
Challenger
Challenger

The only way to get the accurate temperatures is to place a thermal sensor  under the cpu cooler. Can someone with the questionable cpu temps do that?

0 Kudos
noodles59
Miniboss
Miniboss

I really wonder what is the reason to have two temperatures at all? - just one, the real one, not enuf?

what do I miss to understand this?

pck1980
Adept I
Adept I

I also think that this offset and how it was communicated leads to a lot of confusion, while it still remains unclear why it was introduced at all. The community update says

[...] but it may be offset on certain CPU models so that all models on the AM4 Platform have the same maximum tCTL value. This approach ensures that all AMD Ryzen™ processors have a consistent fan policy. [...]

which raises more questions than it anwers, imo. It's up to AMD to shed some more light on this issue.

0 Kudos