cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

MentalReaper
Journeyman III

System Hard Locks (Black Screen) - Ryzen 9 5900X + B550M Aorus Elite

Hi. First time posting here. Been an AMD user since 2020.

I have a (maybe) weird problem here that I hope the members in this forum can shed some light on. So here goes:

1. With PBO on auto, the 5900X hardly touches 4.9GHz. Tried all other PBO limits with disabled and an undervolt (curve optimizer -15 value) showing positive results at first.

2. During normal tasks (even at idle) the PC runs fine, no crashes. During gaming however, after about half an hour the PC will suddenly black screen, system fans ramp up to 100%, and the power button on the case becomes unresponsive. My only option is to turn off the power supply directly and reboot.

3. When checking Event Viewer, I only get Event ID 41, Task 63 as an error. No other error of concern was reported i.e. no WHEA error indicating that it was a particular core not getting enough juice.

4. I've ran Ryzen Master to get optimized curve values with it consistently showing me -30 (all core or per core) is achievable. In reality, -13 all core is what I found to be stable so far (with many crashes and resets to get to this point) with PBO limits disabled.

System specs:

Ryzen 9 5900X
Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite (latest F16a BIOS + Windows 10 64-bit chipset drivers released 21st November 2022)
Corsair RGB RS 3600MHz 2x16GB
EVGA Supernova 850GT 850W 80+ Gold

0 Likes
20 Replies
Migz-DH
Adept II

What happens while gaming with the BIOS at default values for everything?

(On a side note, are you aware that PBO is nerfed for your CPU if you're using the latest AGESA?)

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

I did not know that actually. What's nerfed exactly? And will this nerf cause crashes like I've described if PBO was set to anything but auto and curve optimizer disabled?

As for BIOS at default, I have yet to go through an entire gaming session with all the settings back down to default. Should XMP be disabled as well you reckon?

0 Likes

Sorry for the delay. I only just found that you'd replied. AMD (accidentally?) limited EDC for all 5000-series CPUs to the default level instead of letting us overpower them like we used to be able to do in earlier AGESAs. In your case, if you solve the crashing problem and try to overclock, make sure to limit EDC to 139 due to the 5900X's configuration.

As for your crashing problem, yes, no XMP as well. I would also try updating your Windows chipset drivers, running Windows update, and replacing the thermal paste for the CPU. If those don't solve the issue, then, ya, your PSU thought is probably where to go next. Good luck!

0 Likes
DimkaTsv
Miniboss

Try to run CoreCycler to test CPU?
Maybe it is malfunctioning under load?

You can also stress RAM and GPU in addition to ensure, they aren't faulty either

0 Likes

I shall try corecycler. Have yet to try that.

What I have tried is:

1. Reflashed the bios back to F15 - no luck, still the same crashing.
2. Swapped out RAM for a pair that I know works - nope, same crashing behavior
3. Ran OCCT for an hour with all cores on load since while gaming is when it happens - no issues detected

I'm actually wondering if the PSU is to blame because as of right now I can't maintain a -15 all-core CO let alone -10 now. It seems like the issue is getting worse. 

0 Likes

Have you resolved the issues? Changing the psu helped? I have exactly the same problem, nothing helps, even manual oc does the same thing, I get this when doing the aida64 ram benchmark

0 Likes
FunkZ
Forerunner

Is the 4.9GHz single or all-core? That's 100MHz over the stock boost clock of 4.8GHz for the 5900X correct? The most you can get using PBO is 200MHz over stock. What cooling are you using and what are the temps like under load?

What are your PBO limits set at for PPT, TDC and EDC? Watch the gauges in Ryzen Master while running something like Cinebench, any topping out in the red?

From what I have seen the dual CCD CPUs are more sensitive to negative Curve Optimizer settings than the single CCD CPUs. You may have to use -10 or even -5 due to one or two cores (typically the primary ones) needing more juice. You could try switching CO to per core if you want to try tweaking those individually.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes

Bro, the cpu is crashing at 4200 all cores manual oc when I set the voltage higher than 1.25v, makes 0 sense, 0, I tried everything. pbo on auto insta crashes my pc and I have to turn the psu off, the shotdown button doesn't even respond, my old 5700x at 4800mhz all cores and 150w had 0 problems on this motherboard. I have a b450 tomahawk, It's like some voltage protections gets triggered and makes my psu go into safe mode but I have no idea why

0 Likes

The funny thing is that is not crashing in cinebench, is crashing in aida64 memory benchmark and in games like dead space or nfs unbound, if I set the limits of pbo to something low like 120edc is stable but I lose so much performance, I just don't understand why is crashing when i manually oc the cpu even at 4200 mhz which is crazy low, I am fully stable in r23 at 4750 with 1,2875v, but once I start aida64 memory bench I get insta lock

0 Likes
FunkZ
Forerunner

My earlier post was in response to the OP MentalReaper.

Vengeful if your 5900X will do Cinebench multi-core just fine but crashes in a memory benchmark, maybe it's your memory that is at fault? Or the memory controller on your 5900X will not handle the frequency the memory is running at? What speed DDR are you using? Have you tried it at SPD without the XMP?

I have seen many ppl attempt manual overclocks and not get an all-core anywhere near their stock boost clock. Unless you have extreme cooling it's generally easier to just tweak PBO and let it boost.

Also, why a 5900X for gaming? Unless you use the system for productivity software, a 5800X3D would be better for gaming and easier to keep cool.

0 Likes

I tried at 2133, still crashes, it crashes only when the core voltage is higher than 1.15v for some reason, and only in memory intensive aplications I tried 1.25 soc voltage, 1.00, nothing helps, vddg to 1.0 to 0.9, nothing, I don't understand, maybe the chip is busted or the motherboard has some strange protection, My psu is 850w gold so I don't see being the problem, also cinebench runs at 220w with no problem, once I hit it with aida it insta crashes at 100w, makes 0 sense to me

0 Likes

I recommend not doing manual overclock and use PBO. On my 5700X I set PBO limits to manual, 140 PPT, 90 TDC, 140 EDC. Curve Optimizer at -20 all-core, Auto-OC at +200. Boosts up to 4.85GHz.

On a dual CCD I doubt you can run CO at -20 maybe not even -15 if you use all-core. You can switch to per-core but likely need to set the primary cores to -10 or -5 to keep it stable.

0 Likes

That's at 1.2v, getting 23500 in r23 at 65 degree max with a 360 aio, I'm clearly not temperature limited but what can I do, I guess I have the most efficient 5900x in existence

0 Likes
Vengeful180
Journeyman III

I managed to overclock one ccd to 4650 and one to 4550, seems stable and not getting the hard lock anymore, need more testing tho, I think my board is limiting my oc potential, hate msi from now on, also amd, think I'm better off with intel next upgrade

0 Likes

Again, no need for a dual CCD chip for gaming. X3D V-cache is all you need for top of class. Otherwise a 6 or 8 core AMD is sufficient and very power efficient. Intel will use twice as much power to achieve the same performance. 

0 Likes

This dual ccd chip has double the l3 cache, it doesn't give a **bleep** it had dual ccd in gaming, I see it running a bit better in single and a lot better in games that actually utilize the extra cores, like doom eternal or ea games that use denuvo

0 Likes
Awol
Challenger

Why a manual overclock. I just use PBO and enable core boost and hit 4.9 GHZ without having to do anything else.

X570 Aorus Elite / Ryzen 9 5900X / Sapphire Nitro+ RX6900 XT SE / 64GB Quad Kit Kingston Fury Black 3600MHZ CL16 / RM1000 X PSU

0 Likes

Because that boost is totally fake, I also see 4600 in r23 but the score is close to 4400mhz manual oc, and it has been tested by many that a manual locked oc is much stabler and better even in gaming, even at lower frequency

0 Likes

That may be your experience but its not for me. I'm monitoring on aida64 and hwinfo and all cores boosting to 4.9 ghz and its totally stable.

X570 Aorus Elite / Ryzen 9 5900X / Sapphire Nitro+ RX6900 XT SE / 64GB Quad Kit Kingston Fury Black 3600MHZ CL16 / RM1000 X PSU

0 Likes

Was the bios the problem, unbelivable, I updated to the latest agesa and no more hard locks, just crashes in case is unstable.. msi...

0 Likes