cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

fnordie
Adept II

Re: Swapping stock cooler ripped out CPU

If you look on Reddit and forums it's posted regularly. It's a common problem IMHO. I agree.

heat up cpu before removal, sure but is this writtenin the manual? i can not remember such a thing. also the bond can become very hard even when hot, when the surfaces "match".

IMHO it would be more user friendly if they include a small pack of thermal paste with the boxed coolers. so it can not dry out while in the warehouse. (when it happened to me i blamed the stock TIM) but paste for ryzen is better than on fx.

0 Kudos
elstaci
MVP

Wasn't trying to degrade your comment. But generally, Customer Error is any error that doesn't involve a defective CPU,  Imho.  Like installing or removing the CPU or installing or removing the CPU Cooler, As far as I am concerned, Manufacturers don't have any controls on how Users physically install or remove their hardware except showing them instructions on the proper way to do it. If you damage the hardware, the Manufacturers are going to say that you installed, removed, or incorrectly used it (Overclocking etc) causing the damage.

Even though the CPU Cooler adhered to the Ryzen and you ended up damaging it while removing it, That isn't AMD fault that occurred unless you can prove to AMD that the Thermal paste was defective which caused the Cooler to adhere strong enough to rip off your Ryzen and damage it in the process.

Was the Ryzen properly installed tightly?  Isn't the Ryzen installed in a bracket with screws?

I can sympathize with you about what happened. Same thing happened to my FX 8350 CPU. I needed to refresh the Thermal Paste after more than a couple of years due to overheating issues. When I unlatched the CPU Cooler and tried to lift it, it was difficult. Eventually when I lifted the CPU cooler off it removed my CPU with it. Luckily it wasn't damaged. The thermal paste (Non AMD) had hardened from being old and heated for so long that it acted like like a glue.

fnordie
Adept II

I also was lucky and my FX and board survived.

Non threadripper Ryzen cpu use AM4 socket, looks same as AM3 of your FX 8350.

I think the cpu will be fine if no pin broke off.

And it can happen with any paste I know.

Also Ryzen have decent stock coolers I think made by cooler master, so paste is good.

0 Kudos
elstaci
MVP

I don't have a Ryzen, but I thought they were all installed with a bracket and screwed down on the motherboard. If non-ThreadRippers are attached the same way as AM3+ CPU then the Motherboard manufacturers are going to need to find a better way of securing these CPUs securely so that won't come out.

0 Kudos
schlitzbull
Adept I

It has two plastic pieces that screw to the motherboard. Each one has a tab. The cooler attaches to each tab and then has a retention clip on it.

This has gone exactly as I expected. I guess the homer in me thought it might have gone different. I'll post later in the week when I have time to try to fix the pins.

0 Kudos
elstaci
MVP

Hope you are able to bend the pins back erect, otherwise you will have a very expensive paperweight.

0 Kudos
misterj
Exemplar

fnordie, I have seen pictures of Ryzen using liquid metal TIM and it looked like the kind of mess that could result in the processor and HS fusing together.  I have not used a boxed processor in a long time and have bought my own CPU Coolers - usually AIO water.  Enjoy, John.

0 Kudos
elstaci
MVP

Hopefully your Motherboard's plastic brackets for the CPU weren't damaged when the Ryzen CPU came out forcefully. If the Ryzen is not properly secured you are going to have CPU problems or it won't boot up due to not making proper contact with the motherboard especially with the vibrations from the CPU cooler while running.

Don't know if those brackets can be replaced or sold separately. I know that 3rd party CPU Coolers come with their own brackets which you can install on the motherboard and replaces the Motherboard's own install CPU Brackets.

When I installed my Cooler Master Hybrid 212 EVO CPU cooler, I needed to remove the old Motherboard's brackets (Lever type) to be able to install the new brackets (Uses screws) that would hold the new CPU Cooler to the CPU.

schlitzbull
Adept I

Thanks for all the insight guys. Everything appears to be working ok now. Ended up bending the pins back into place. I'm in the process of re-installing Windows. The PC at least turns on now. I did one Windows install and it seems to be acting a little funny but it was weird from the get go with this sata m.2. So hopefully it was just a wonky Windows install and i'll be back to normal soon.

0 Kudos
elstaci
MVP

How were you able to bend to the CPU Pins straight without breaking?  Just for my own information for the future if I should bend some pins on my CPU.

If you believe your SATA M.2 is acting a little funny or odd. You might want to check out your Motherboard's QVL list for Storage Devices to see if your SSD is listed as being compatible. Most likely if your SSD is a new model and not some strange brand like from China it should be compatible with your motherboard.

Mentioned it just to eliminate any compatibility issues with your SSD and Motherboard.

0 Kudos