cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

schlitzbull
Adept I

Swapping stock cooler ripped out CPU

I just got done trying to change coolers on my 2700x. After removing the latches, the heat sink would not pull off the CPU with a normal amount of force. I slighted turned the cooler to the left and right to try to break the seal. When it would give, I gently pulled straight up. However,the CPU had melded with the heatsink and was ripped out during removal. I have a couple of bent pins on one corner. I assume AMD is going to tell me to kick rocks as far as warranty goes but I figured I would check.

I've been building computers since my late teens and i'm now in my 30s. I would not consider myself a novice.

Thanks.

34 Replies
schlitzbull
Adept I

Also, is it possible this has done damage to my socket? There is no resistance on the latch anymore.

0 Likes

schlitzbull, sounds like you were using liquid metal for TIM - known to destroy AMD processors.  This is a user forum and most who help here do not work or speak for AMD (I certainly do not).  Please open an AMD Online Support to contact AMD.  I think if you post a picture here of your socket, then someone will comment.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

I used the thermal paste that came on the cooler. Ive already opened a tickey, was just curious if anyone on the forums had gone through this before.

0 Likes

hi misterj!

how do have the idea he used liquid metal paste?

i ripped out my older FX cpu too... i am sure that it was because of the FACTORY APPLYED TIM on the boxed cooler. these pre applyed thermal "pads" are much harder than actual paste, especially when cold and old.

first thing on my ryzen was removing the factory thermal paste.

i am VERY careful when i remove AMD coolers. let the system run hot so paste is softer.

schlitzbull

my fx cpu/socket was fine after beeing ripped out.

i am very sorry, maybe you can bend the pins straight with a mechanical pencil? look for tutorials

@AMD

I hope we get a better (ripp out proof like threadripper or intel) socked design some day. warrany should cover this!!

0 Likes

Tech suppory just responded with their warranty information and bolded

"incorrect installation". I was hesitant to buy AMD in the first place.

Never again. Its too bad too because it was a nice CPU.

You are suppose to heat up the CPU heatsink to melt the phase change thermal paste before removing the unit.

0 Likes

very sorry to hear that schlitzbull... i would try to bend it straigt again. there are lot of tutorials http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2177&title=straightening-cpu-pins-made-easier

0 Likes

LoL, You knew they were going to say that. When the Ryzen was ripped out and damaged it was due to Customer Error which nullifies the Warranty.

Try bending the pins back again. From my experience it probably will break unless you find a way to bend them back without breaking. They are very fragile since they are so tiny and thin.

0 Likes

Not sure exactly how that that is customer error. Unless by design the

cooler should rip out the cpu. I even made sure the CPU was in use prior to

removal. Temps hovering in the mid 60s. It is whatever. Ill mess with the

pins later this week. Same thing happened with Kyle at . But im sure hes

just a noob just like me.

0 Likes

If you look on Reddit and forums it's posted regularly. It's a common problem IMHO. I agree.

heat up cpu before removal, sure but is this writtenin the manual? i can not remember such a thing. also the bond can become very hard even when hot, when the surfaces "match".

IMHO it would be more user friendly if they include a small pack of thermal paste with the boxed coolers. so it can not dry out while in the warehouse. (when it happened to me i blamed the stock TIM) but paste for ryzen is better than on fx.

0 Likes

Wasn't trying to degrade your comment. But generally, Customer Error is any error that doesn't involve a defective CPU,  Imho.  Like installing or removing the CPU or installing or removing the CPU Cooler, As far as I am concerned, Manufacturers don't have any controls on how Users physically install or remove their hardware except showing them instructions on the proper way to do it. If you damage the hardware, the Manufacturers are going to say that you installed, removed, or incorrectly used it (Overclocking etc) causing the damage.

Even though the CPU Cooler adhered to the Ryzen and you ended up damaging it while removing it, That isn't AMD fault that occurred unless you can prove to AMD that the Thermal paste was defective which caused the Cooler to adhere strong enough to rip off your Ryzen and damage it in the process.

Was the Ryzen properly installed tightly?  Isn't the Ryzen installed in a bracket with screws?

I can sympathize with you about what happened. Same thing happened to my FX 8350 CPU. I needed to refresh the Thermal Paste after more than a couple of years due to overheating issues. When I unlatched the CPU Cooler and tried to lift it, it was difficult. Eventually when I lifted the CPU cooler off it removed my CPU with it. Luckily it wasn't damaged. The thermal paste (Non AMD) had hardened from being old and heated for so long that it acted like like a glue.

I also was lucky and my FX and board survived.

Non threadripper Ryzen cpu use AM4 socket, looks same as AM3 of your FX 8350.

I think the cpu will be fine if no pin broke off.

And it can happen with any paste I know.

Also Ryzen have decent stock coolers I think made by cooler master, so paste is good.

0 Likes

I don't have a Ryzen, but I thought they were all installed with a bracket and screwed down on the motherboard. If non-ThreadRippers are attached the same way as AM3+ CPU then the Motherboard manufacturers are going to need to find a better way of securing these CPUs securely so that won't come out.

0 Likes

It has two plastic pieces that screw to the motherboard. Each one has a tab. The cooler attaches to each tab and then has a retention clip on it.

This has gone exactly as I expected. I guess the homer in me thought it might have gone different. I'll post later in the week when I have time to try to fix the pins.

0 Likes

Hope you are able to bend the pins back erect, otherwise you will have a very expensive paperweight.

0 Likes

Hopefully your Motherboard's plastic brackets for the CPU weren't damaged when the Ryzen CPU came out forcefully. If the Ryzen is not properly secured you are going to have CPU problems or it won't boot up due to not making proper contact with the motherboard especially with the vibrations from the CPU cooler while running.

Don't know if those brackets can be replaced or sold separately. I know that 3rd party CPU Coolers come with their own brackets which you can install on the motherboard and replaces the Motherboard's own install CPU Brackets.

When I installed my Cooler Master Hybrid 212 EVO CPU cooler, I needed to remove the old Motherboard's brackets (Lever type) to be able to install the new brackets (Uses screws) that would hold the new CPU Cooler to the CPU.

You should've heated the cpu with prime 95 for at least 15mn or any other benchmarking software up to 80° degrees Celsius 60° is not safe !

0 Likes

fnordie, I have seen pictures of Ryzen using liquid metal TIM and it looked like the kind of mess that could result in the processor and HS fusing together.  I have not used a boxed processor in a long time and have bought my own CPU Coolers - usually AIO water.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
schlitzbull
Adept I

Thanks for all the insight guys. Everything appears to be working ok now. Ended up bending the pins back into place. I'm in the process of re-installing Windows. The PC at least turns on now. I did one Windows install and it seems to be acting a little funny but it was weird from the get go with this sata m.2. So hopefully it was just a wonky Windows install and i'll be back to normal soon.

0 Likes

How were you able to bend to the CPU Pins straight without breaking?  Just for my own information for the future if I should bend some pins on my CPU.

If you believe your SATA M.2 is acting a little funny or odd. You might want to check out your Motherboard's QVL list for Storage Devices to see if your SSD is listed as being compatible. Most likely if your SSD is a new model and not some strange brand like from China it should be compatible with your motherboard.

Mentioned it just to eliminate any compatibility issues with your SSD and Motherboard.

0 Likes

The damage wasn't massive. I just figured it would be worth seeing what AMD said prior to attempting to fix. I just very gently used a precision screwdriver to lean it back flush with the rest of the pins. Luckily there was only a handful of bends and all at a corner.

The SATA M.2 i'm using a WD Blue 250gb which appears to be on the x470-f qvl list. I initially had an issue trying to install the OS due to the MBR and after a reboot it magically took. I'm hoping its just something weird and not actual damage to the CPU!

0 Likes

Yeah Windows won't even load now, will definitely reformat.

0 Likes

See if this Microsoft Forum on how to install Windows 10 on a SSD might help: Installing windows 10 on SSD - Microsoft Community

Also this Microsoft on installing Windows 10 on a SSD: Windows Setup: Installing using the MBR or GPT partition style | Microsoft Docs

0 Likes

Up and running much better now! What a crazy couple of days.

0 Likes

good to hear.

0 Likes
alexnode
Journeyman III

schlitzbull‌ This is exactly what happened to me i installed the wraith cooler  then i changed my mind and tried to replace it with a corsair cooler ... but my case was worse. The motherboard hinge broke,  the pins bent in three corners, 4 rows in, and about 10 pins broke when i tried to straighten them out.  Hundreds of pounds in the bin. Funny thing is that i build xeon rendering farms for the last 20 years albeit that was the first AMD processor i ever used ! A 2700x cost me £1200 including a new intel motherboard and processor. This mounting system is not fit for purpose in my point of view, i like what AMD is doing recently but they should introduce some metal cover clipping around the socket to prevent things like that.  

undifine0909
Journeyman III

you had to slide it xD not taking up hahahhaah because of slimy thermalpaste

0 Likes
piratesque
Journeyman III

The same happened to my Ryzen 3900. Installed it  with the stock cooler according to the instructions. Then the next day a friend brought over a watercooler and I proceeded to remove the stock cooler. It was a bit hesitant at first, like it was stuck. Got it out and saw no CPU in the socket ... it was stuck on the cooler with pins bent the way the cooler came off. The cooler paste is like really sticky glue, nothing like the TIM you buy separately.

To anyone else - avoid the stock cooler at all cost. The factory applied paste is way too thick and adhesive.

I wont even bother sending in a support ticket, AMD always replies by blaming the customer when the actual fault lies with AMD itself.

c4rbon
Adept I

This also just happened to me on my 3800x.  When I disengaged the locking tabs and pulled up on the cooler, the CPU came out with it.  Bent 4 pins in the process, all in the corners.  I used a pick and a razor blade to bend them back straight and reinstalled.  Fortunately everything seems to be working fine.

I used the stock cooler for about 2 months, and just swapped to a Noctua cooler, because the stock cooler was too noisy for me.  The CPU was warm, the machine was off for less than 5 minutes before I removed the cooler (and CPU...).

My advice would be not to use the stock cooler if you ever anticipate replacing it in the future.  If you do need to remove the stock cooler, take out your GPU and RAM so you can gently twist the cooler off, instead of pulling straight out.

I really hope AMD addresses this problem.  Short term fix would be not to use such sticky thermal paste.  Long term, I hope they change their mechanical socket design.  This is a ridiculous problem to have using stock components on an enthusiast-oriented product.

0 Likes

In my opinion actually it isn't AMD problem about how a processor is attached to a motherboard. It is the manufacturer of the Motherboard that needs to find or engineer a better and more secure method where a processor won't come off if the CPU Cooler becomes adhered to the processor.

Motherboard Manufacturers can get input from AMD and Intel or maybe advice AMD and Intel about adding a special feature to the AMD or Intel Processor's case that motherboard manufacturers can use to latch down the processors in the socket much more securely than the way it is now.  Like for instance as an example, have AMD or Intel create a metallic built-in bracket similar to wings on each side of the processor's case where it can be screwed down to the motherboard's socket using two screws. Instead of a plastic Bracket like Thread Rippers.   The only problem with metallic wings is that the wings will get hot when the processor heats up. Maybe the wings can be coated with a high Temperature plastic so it won't heat up. anyway I am digressing.

I imagine that AMD gives the Motherboard manufacturers all the data and specs they need to manufacture a motherboard that can use a AMD Processor. But how the AMD Processor is latched to the motherboard is the motherboard manufacturer's concern. Since they are the ones that created and engineered the motherboard for the AMD Processor to be used.

Also the manufacturers of Thermal paste or pads need to find a way to prevent Thermal Paste or Pads from turning into glue when exposed to high temps or long use time. So basically, AMD (Thermal paste & pads), Motherboard Manufacturers, & Thermal Paste & Pads manufacturers need to get together to find a way to prevent processors from being manually damaged by Users when a CPU Cooler needs to be removed or replaced after long time use due to being adhered to the processor.

0 Likes
scrubturkey
Journeyman III

I tried to remove factory amd cooler from ryzen 2400 after 9 months of use.  I ended up pulling the cpu out of the socket.  There was no way the cpu was going to twist off etc without damaging it in the process. The motherboard was dead so it was cold.  So I tried heating. I removed the plastic fan and put the processor and heatsink into the oven at 50 Celsius.  I checked it after several minutes once it was a bit above body temp and it made no difference.  I put it in for a while longer to when it was so hot I could handle it quickly but otherwise it was too hot to hold.  Perhaps it was hot like leaving it on the dashboard of a car in the sun.  Then with a bit of force it twisted off.  This took some force so I used a huge spanner to make sure I was pressing on the sides of the processor and not onto the pins.

0 Likes

I have repaired a lot of machines that were overheating.

If the CPU cooler does not come off easily I warm it up to soften the material. I have been lucky not to bend pins when the CPU came off with the cooler.

I use Arctic MX-4 which does not gum up like many OEM products do. MX-4 is good even after several years of use.

0 Likes

I too use MX-4, it is really runny, buy stays soft forever it seems.  Anyway, when I removed my Ryzen 5 1600 a couple years ago, the CPU stuck to the cooler as well, luckily I had an aftermarket cooler (Hyper 212 EVO) that screws on, so it pulled straight up (after twisting the cooler to break it loose from the CPU) and when I looked at the CPU it was gone.  I was like WTF!  Then I look on the bottom of the cooler and there is was.  Luckily no bent pins, so it went right back in.

I don't know if Intel socket is any better.  It is so easy to bend pins if you don't get it in straight.  I see some MB come with a CPU installer guide to make sure it goes in straight every time.

Too bad the OP didn't get a replacement.  I broke my old C2D Intel chip from overclocking.  I called Intel as I was within 30-days purchase and the amazingly replaced it for free, and overnight shipped it for free as well.  Of course, that was when desktops were king and Intel on top by a big margin.  I'm not sure anyone would anymore.

0 Likes

MX-4 need only be used a very small amounts.

The defects it handles are on the micron scale, Most put far too much.

0 Likes