cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

xikavi
Adept I

Stutters in CS:GO on 5900x

Hello. I recently built new system on 5900x and while playing cs noticed that there are microstutters (screen freezes for about 0.1 sec), mostly when flashbang "flashes" somewhere on map. I've tried many things, and two of them helped:

1. Disabling both SMT (multithreading) and SVM (virtualization) in bios

2. r_dynamic 0 command in console.

Problem is, i don't want to disable SMT (it boosts perfomance in other software) nor SVM (need it for hyper-v), and r_dynamic 0 gives you disadvantage on some maps.

All drivers are latest, BIOS is latest, no OC, happens on clean windows installation. Tried different SSDs and videocards. Motherboard is Asus ROG Strix B550-F gaming. RAM - HyperX Fury HX432C16FB3K2/32. Don't have another RAM to replace, but tested it in memtest86 and several stress tests, it is stable, with XMP and without.

So, is it CPU or game issue? If CPU, do i have defective model or it's Ryzen architectural flaw? Cause i've found on the internet my exact problem appeared on older ryzen CPU's.

8 Replies
GGKirby
Journeyman III

Does the issue occur in offline gameplay as well?

Also are you just noticing the microstutters during your own gameplay time or do you have something else logging it as well (screencapture, etc.)

Been a while since I have played CS:GO but I had a similar issue with it before that only got resolved when I changed ISP's. Could possibly test that using your phone as a tether or something similar.

0 Likes

Disconnected cable, tried with bots, still have it. It is definetely hardware or game optimization issue, proven by the fact that changes in bios make it gone.

0 Likes

So I don't have a solution, but wanted to chime in. I have the same motherboard with a 5800x and I'm seeing microstutters in warzone. I have tried an exhausting list of things to no avail. Have not tried your solutions above as I have been focused on everything else besides the CPU/motherboard combo. Since most of these things didn't work I'm starting to heavily lean towards these as the culprit.

0 Likes

Good News! I Found a solution to my issue!

After 3 weeks of exhaustive troubleshooting, I did a couple of things yesterday evening and one of them fixed my the microstutters in games that I was seeing.

Possible Solution 1 - Disable windows fast boot.  In my research I discovered that Asus boards and Ryzen both don't play nice with this. Nowadays most folks have their stuff saved ion SSD drives anyway so the benefit is minimal. I hardly see a difference in boot times with this disabled. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

Possible Solution 2 - Disable Realtek HD Audio in device manager.  This one could be tough for those that rely on this for their computer audio. There are sound cards out there that can circumvent this if you would like to go that way. In my case, I use an external card to produce sound so I don't need it. Other things to try are rolling back the driver, then if this doesn't work manually updating drivers.

Hope one of these solutions work for you!

0 Likes

ty but not my case, that would be too easy

0 Likes

This could be related to the issues the Ryzen 5000 platform appears to be experiencing with inadequate PCI-E Gen. 4 support. In case you have a recently released card that would utilize PCI-E Gen. 4, try going into BIOS and switching the PCI-E mode for the x16 slot to Gen 3 support instead of Auto/Gen 4. This has resolved virtually all of my problems.

0 Likes
xikavi
Adept I

So, after hundreds of flashbang throws and measuring frame time in afterburner on different PCs and soft installed, there's my observations:
  1. on clean AMD Win10 pro system average frame time spike of flashing is 19.15 ms, it can't be felt and i suppose it's normal (when nothing happening ~9 ms)
  2. when installed Asus AI Suite it increases to 38.61 (some *** drivers i think)
  3. when enabling hyper-v low level shell it increases to 76.25 (!) (no VMs running)
  4. Switching SMT and SVM in Bios does nothing on clean system (disabling SVM simply suppresses hyper-v in OS, about SMT - no idea, maybe affects ai suite drivers)
  5. on test intel 4770k setup with same GPU and graphics settings, average flash frame time is 35.68 ms hyper-v off and 42.44 ms when hyper-v on.
So, why on 7 year old CPU perfomance fall of hyper-v enabling is 19% and on new ryzen is 298% ? Is there any explanation of that? (BTW tested Virtual Box with cpu and gpu hardware acceleration - no stutters at all)
Midoz
Journeyman III

Have you fix the problem? i have exacelly the same issue with the same cpu.

0 Likes