cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

uker
Adept II

Struggling for one last bit of stability at 3200 (b-Die memory, B350 mobo, Ryzen 1700)

As the title says, I'm running this system at 3200 with no major issues, but having minor stability issues and rare errors when stress testing the memory.

System is a Ryzen 1700 on an ASUS Prime B350 PLUS motherboard with two 8 GB modules of GSkill RipJaws V 3200 C14 memory (Samsung b-die).

Motherboard is on the latest BIOS, dated December 2018, using AGESA 1006.

All timings and voltages are at stock values.

If I enter the BIOS, and just select DOCP with no fiddling around, everything seems fine at 3200 MHz.
Windows starts and runs, and I have even played some 3 hours of Just Cause 4 (among others) with no stability issues.

The problem is, in the long run (longer than 20 minutes) it appears to show some minor hiccups on MemTest64 or Prime95.

Needless to say, no issues are found at 2133.

I tried fiddling around following this guide, and even tried his modded BIOS, but didn't help.

Below are the timings I was suggested by Ryzen DRAM Calculator (safe preset).

Tried all of those, including the alternative ones.

Given that the memory does run at DOCP timings, being forced to run it at stick speed I'm having that "so close yet so far" feeling.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution
uker
Adept II

I just figured it out.

Seems like when choosing to use DOCP in the BIOS, only the voltage, CL, RCDRD, RCDWR, RP and RAS are read from the XMP profile.
For whatever reason, RC, RFC1, RFC2, RFC4, RDDL, RDDS and FAW are ignored.
When I read these timings' values using AIDA64, I saw that they were nothing like the values that the DRAM Calculator suggested.

So I went into the BIOS, reset everything to default, chose DOCP, entered these new values manually, and the system became stable.

Ran 1 hour of MemTest64 with no issue.

Hope this helps someone.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies
uker
Adept II

I just figured it out.

Seems like when choosing to use DOCP in the BIOS, only the voltage, CL, RCDRD, RCDWR, RP and RAS are read from the XMP profile.
For whatever reason, RC, RFC1, RFC2, RFC4, RDDL, RDDS and FAW are ignored.
When I read these timings' values using AIDA64, I saw that they were nothing like the values that the DRAM Calculator suggested.

So I went into the BIOS, reset everything to default, chose DOCP, entered these new values manually, and the system became stable.

Ran 1 hour of MemTest64 with no issue.

Hope this helps someone.

0 Likes
uker
Adept II

Seems like I jumped the gun.

Still not 100% there.

While the system does pass 4 hours of MemTest64, it seems like gaming is not as stable.

Just Cause 4 is crashing after less than an hour of gameplay.

Is there anything that can be causing the RAM to fail under more CPU-intensive scenarios?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes

uker, please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) - simply drag-n-drop the image into your reply.  Please post your system complete specifications  What happens when you crash - hang, BSOD or what?  What the heck is DOCP?  Is your memory on the QVL - looks like Intel memory to me.  How does your system run after doing a Clear CMOS? <- this is what I recommend.  Enjoy, John.

Hi there, misterj.

About my system, apart from what I already mentioned, I'm Running Windows 10 x64 version 1902 (build 18362), PSU is a 600W Thermaltake TR2, GPU is a GTX 1070, and I have an HDD, an NVME SSD and a BD-RW drive.

Let me know if you need any other info. Don't know what else you may find relevant.

It's only the game crashing to the desktop. The system continues to work with no issue.

DOCP is the name of ASUS' technology for reading XMP profiles from the memory modules.

My memory is not in the QVL (the list of memory said to work at 3200 in the QVL is about 8 modules, and some are 8 GB kits and others are 32 GB, so pretty short on options there.

That said, these being Samsung B-die I'd expect them to hold up.

After clearing the CMOS the system works perfectly, but of course, unless you specifically modify the BIOS settings, the memory will be running at 2133 MHz.

Here is the Ryzen Master screenshot.

Thanks for your time.

pastedImage_1.jpg

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

Thanks, uker.  Please tell us exactly what happens when the game crashes to the Desktop.  Does your BIOS support XMP profiles?  Have you tried lifting the VDDCR SOC a little  - certainly no more than 0.1 volt? (warranty voided)  Please run the free Thaiphoon Burner and post the results - drag-n-drop a screenshot.  It will tell us what settings are available via the XMP profiles.  600 Watts is a little skimpy, but probably OK.  Have you ever had applications crashing due to the advanced release W10 (1902)?  Have you seen crashes on your game on 1809, latest?  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

When the game crashes? It just pops out of existence and I get a dialog to send a bug report to the developer.

The BIOS does support XMP via its DOCP functionality as I mentioned. However, as I described in the second post of this topic, it doesn't do a great job at it.

In any case, I have manually entered all the reported timings into the BIOS, being AIDA64 the software to report them with the most detail.

Seeing the Ryzen Master screenshot got me wondering... is it normal that Ryzen Master displays 1.1v on the SOC when I have selected 1.2v in the BIOS?

Below is the screenshot from Thaiphoon BurnerpastedImage_1.png.

0 Likes

Thanks, uker.  Do you see a real difference in your games between running 2133 and 3200 MHz?  My G.Skill memory has a 2400 MHz XMP setting (default).  I was disappointed to see yours does not.  If your BIOS will run an XMP (real XMP not DOCP)  at 3200 MHz, please try that and try the default if not.  This could be a SW problem - most obvious the code not being thread safe.  Have you talked to the game company?  Since Ryzen is the first AMD processor that supports multi threading, it does not surprise me that some SW is now failing on AMD processors.  The code has been tuned for Intel.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Difference between 2133 and 3200 MHz? LOL Yeah, some 15% FPS increase, no less.

My G.Skill does have a 3200 MHz XMP 2.0 profile. You're seeing it at the bottom of the Thaiphoon screenshot there!

I don't have a clue what you meant by "real XMP not DOCP". As I explained to you before, DOCP is a feature in ASUS motherboards that allows them to read XMP memory profiles.

I won't bother commenting about the "code not being thread safe" and "code being tuned for Intel" thing either.

But thanks anyway.

0 Likes

uker, considering your comments about the parameters set by DOCP,  I would like to see the XMP parameters displayed in Thaiphoon Burner tried without ASUS changing them. 

Difficult to help user that say things like:

I won't bother commenting about the "code not being thread safe" and "code being tuned for Intel" thing either.

Please decide if you are going to OC via BIOS or RM.  I think the problem you are seeing concerning VDDCR SOC  is conflict of the two.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I wasn't using Ryzen Master until you asked for screenshots of it.

Then, Thaiphoon burner reads the memory's XMP profile, which isn't affected by the settings you choose in the BIOS.

About "the problem being conflict of the two", yeah, no s**t.

I feel like you're wasting my time here.

0 Likes

I'm wasting your time, Uker!?!

0 Likes