cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

traveller063
Adept I

Strange spot on brandnew 3960X backside, RMA?

Hi,

I just received a brand new TR 3960X and wanted to install it when I realized a strange reddish/brownish spot on the backside
It is very clearly visible in real.

I hesitate to install the CPU as it is going into a complete custom loop and it would be an extreme hassle to have to remove it again.

Should this be directly RMAed or tried to install?

Edit: If the picture is made smaller you can see the spot more clearly

5 Replies

There's a couple of other people on here who have also had that issue and it works without issues, so it's likely it's just a surface imperfection that should have sent this CPU to the OEM trays instead of retail boxes. However, if the RMA is free, an you can do without it for a few more days, then go through with the RMA since it will be a pain to remove. If not, then go ahead and install it, it should work without issues.

Thanks for your message. In the meanwhile I contacted AMD support and they told me to send it back to the retailer if it comes like that from the factory.

Turned out they don't hold their promises and sent me out a new one immediately but let me wait now an undefined time although I told them every day I am without the CPU from now on I will lose money.

Nice people there, but it does nothing to the matter here. 

I was keen to try it out, maybe I should have done it but they said better not.

Definitely exchange it. The AMD warranty voids warranty for any surface marks or anything making the writing illegible or faded. Or anything discoloring the pins will likely be blamed on user error.  In others words they use whatever they can to NOT warranty their CPU's. So it is good you noticed it before even using it. 

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/pib 

0 Likes

It is on it's way already. Thanks for your hint. Honestly I would have had no good feeling at a CPU this price putting it in although as said I was keen to try it.

Better so. 

0 Likes

discoloring like that has no impact on functionality

I simply place a CPU in the socket, apply thermal material and attach a cooler, install some RAM and if it POSTs then I stuff it in a chassis

No POST is easier on a test bench to fix

0 Likes