Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

bolek83
Adept I

Stability problems with R5 3600

Hi

My R5 3600 is very unstable on low power loads ( like watching You Tube, using programs that take 10 -30% of CPU etc.) when Core Performance Boost is on.

CPU is only stable on low power load when CPB is off locking CPU on 3.6 GHz. When CPB is on it boosts cores to 4.14-4.19 GHz with vcore up to 1.475 volts. Temps are not the problem because when on low load and CPB starts boost temps go up to 60 C for a few seconds and than drop, at idle CPU temp is around 35-38 C.

When the PC is under high load everything works normal and there are no crashes or BSODs.

Also did stress test on CPU and GPU and everything worked fine, under full load CPU was stable on 3.9 GHz with temps of 74 C.

Components:

Ryzen 5 3600

Gigabyte x570 Aours Elite

Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super OC

G.Skill TridentZ neo 3600 2x16 GB

Corsair RM650x PSU

CM Hyper 212 Black edition cooler

Samsung SSD 250GB860 evo

Samsung SSD 1 TB 860 qvo

Does anyone have a similar problem and is this a CPU problem (faulty CPU) or is it a motherboard (BIOS) problem?

Thanks

6 Replies
bolek83
Adept I

Hi

I found one interesting thing yesterday.

When I run prime 95:

in smallest FFT's it runs fine

in small FFT's it runs fine

in large FFT's it runs fine

but when I start blend test (all of the above) PC goes to BSOD in 2 seconds

Maybe software issue?

0 Likes
bolek83
Adept I

Hi founded a new thing in prime 95.

Just now tried to run prime 95 again and all test, including blend, report errors when started in threads 7 and 8.

CPB is off. 

And now blend works for some reason but reports error.

0 Likes

Based on your information I would suspect that a couple cores have issues and an RMA might be in order for the CPU. 

If you do RMA it don't mentioned you used CPB or PBO or the like as AMD will tell you that it voids your warranty. 

bolek83
Adept I

Thank you for the answer.

But that is strange because CPB is on by default on MB, cleared cmos two times and is on.  

Wouldn't that mean that CPU is unable to work in his default settings? 

0 Likes

I don't disagree with you they advertise ram at 3600 being compatible to but you have to enable XMP to get that speed. Then it's considered overclocking and voids your warranty. So add XMP to the list of don't mentions.

bolek83
Adept I

Yes, thank you, I will remember that.

Have a nice day.