cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Adept II
Adept II

Re: So, here's something weird with my 3900X...

If I look at CPU-Z it gives me the same thing indeed, Combo-AM4 1.0.0.3. As for the BIOS, mine doesn't have any such entry, even things like microcode version and SMU firmware I need to get either from HWInfo or AIDA64 (both report the same version). I also tried with AIDA64 as you suggested, setting affinity to core 1 only and stress-testing CPU, FPU, cache while monitoring with Ryzen Master. Ryzen Master gives an average clock of ~4.34GHz for core 1, with a peak value of 4.377GHz, looking at the "current" tab, I can safely say that I have never seen a clock speed any higher than 4.377GHz recorded in Ryzen Master. I also monitored the test simultaneously with HWInfo, and HWInfo recorded a peak clock speed of 4.541GHz with an average of 4.359GHz. Now, you can see that the recorded average in both monitoring software are pretty similar, they differ massively in terms of the peak frequency recorded.

Here's my hypothesis: The discrepancy is due to the fact that the smallest polling period one can set is 1s, while I use 500ms polling period in HWInfo.

So, in principle, HWInfo should be able to capture more of the dynamic behavior of the CPU. Why 500ms? It was what Der8auer used when he did the polling for the maximum boost frequency of Zen 2 CPUs. But again, none of these tests or monitoring software ever recorded my CPU hitting the 4.6GHz boost, not even in HWInfo where it previously did (as you can see from these HWInfo screenshots). Right now, I can tell you that even if I ran Cinebench 1000x monitoring with HWInfo, I can not recreate these screenshots. I can't compare with Ryzen Master monitoring results since I did not have it yet at the time these screenshots were made.3600PBO-Auto-1coreR20.pngpastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

As for the BIOS, I also found a Beta BIOS 1304 and 1305 for my board and viewing those with the hex editor showed a similar ID for the AGESA with the exception of the version number changed to 1.0.0.4. So, it has this entry:

AGESA!V9.Combo-AM4 1.0.0.4

This Beta BIOS, supposedly have the newer SMU 46.69.0 and 46.59.0 or something like that, and to me, it seems like they are just lazy and only updates the version number of the AGESA, and not the specific patch versions (ABBA, ABB, etc.), since technically, both the ABBA and the ABB patches are still considered version 1.0.0.3. But regardless, I will ask ASUS about this, their customer support is also closed at the weekend, unfortunately.

0 Kudos
Exemplar
Exemplar

jeffb0918, more than one monitor application should not be used at once. 

During the height of the boost furor, AMD moved their expert (Robert Hallock) to Reddit (I do not know why).  AMD worked to determine what the problems were.  They found HWinfo was running some code to 'peak' the processor, altering the results and distorting the numbers.  AMD with the help of MS made changes to W10 build 18362 scheduler to work around some of this.  Please be sure you are running the latest patch level (I am at 418).  AMD also released the AGESA to address the Ryzen end of it and I get the impression that they were successful.  Please see if you can find Robert Hallock's post on Reddit.  Post a link here so I can read it again.  I find Reddit unusable.  Please let me know what you learn.  Enjoy, John.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

For Your Information Only:

black_zion‌ posted this link on a thread he started on General Discussion that talks about the Boost improvement on the Ryzen 3000 series Processors including the BETA BIOS you mentioned from Asus: Report: New AMD Ryzen 3000 Firmware Improves Boost Clock Speeds | Tom's Hardware 

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

As a matter of fact, at least on this Zen 2 thread on Reddit, most people seem to recommend using HWInfo and not Ryzen Master. What they don't recommend is HWMonitor for its inaccurate readings. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/db60m3/the_zen_2_faq/ 

I was unable however to find the specific post/comment you referred to.

On top of that, I don't quite see why multiple monitoring application can/should not be used together since all they are doing is recording values from an existing and continuously measuring sensors anyway. Regarding your Windows comment, yes, I am in fact using Windows 10 Pro build 18362.418 at the moment. There are updates available, but I have not gotten around updating it just yet this week and will do so soon. And of course, I too was under the same impression regarding the AGESA update, especially after watching the updated Der8auer's video with the ABBA AGESA; hence, my title "something weird", because it seems to be either not working for me, or made it somehow worse. This is also exactly why I was concerned that I have a bad/faulty hardware.

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

I see. I am inclined to try them out but I'm not sure about the risk of bricking my board over it. To my knowledge, in ASUS board, once you update the BIOS, you can never downgrade. So, if this Beta BIOS is unstable or unsuitable somehow with my system, that means I will be screwed until they decided to release an official version of the new  BIOS, which can take anywhere from days to weeks, to months even.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes, that is true. But normally in the BIOS download section it usually mentions if you can revert to an earlier BIOS version you had.

Best thing to do is have a "Live Chat" with Asus Support and asked them if the BETA BIOS can be downgraded. If they say no then no need to install it since it isn't official BIOS yet. Also ask if installing the BETA BIOS will void your Motherboard Warranty if still in effect.

I personally have used Asus Live Chat. Fastest way to get simple answers. If the Tech doesn't know they usually escalate the ticket and you will be sent an email from Asus Support with a future answer. I believe they are 24/7.

I just mentioned the previous link to show you that AMD is working on improving the Boost problem in 3rd generation processors in future BIOS versions.

Okay, I let the other User continue his reasoning in troubleshooting so as not to interrupt his flow in solving your problem.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

Yes, I contacted ASUS support and they didn't really recommend installing a Beta BIOS as while it can be reverted back once the newer version is installed, I will have to force that through BIOS flashback. They also didn't really know what's going on, but recommended me to go back to BIOS 0804 instead. Kinda weird recommending me to downgrade instead by forcing a BIOS flashback to see if that fixes my problem...

Adept III
Adept III

Did this fix your problem? Because I'm having similar issues, and am on "1407 AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.4" and it seems all of my issues started after updating to this BIOS from 0804. My system used to idle at 3.8GHz and boost up to 4.6GHz, when I first ran it. It was very well behaved, ran cool at 35-38c, low vcore at desktop. Now, it's like it's bipolar, voltages and clock speeds bouncing around all over the place at the slightest movement of the mouse, idle temps at 45c to 50c, package temps reaching 65c randomly just sitting here. It's a mess now and I legitimately hate it. 

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Same here..

I habe a 3800x and a x570 gigabyte elite wifi board.    The board came with the F1 bioe its first revision and i was seeing boost clocks consistantly at 4500mhz for single core..  and all core boosts of 4300mhz using cinebench 15.   And in games i was seeing it averaging around 4400mhz or so.

Then i updated the bios to the latest F10 which is aegesa 1004 and updated windows and all that fun stuff.. and now ny cpu wont eveb see 440pmhz single core boost.  Im seeing 4350mhz average for single core and 4166 for all core.  In games im seeing 4300mhz or so.

Something with the new bios or whatever has severly crushed this cpus boost clocks..  Either that or my cpu is degrading.    Im going to flash the bios back to an older version if i can and see if i csn get my old boost clocks back.

Also yes my cpu jumps all over the place now.  Up down up down up down.   

Im royally pissed off that my 38p0x i paid extra for isnt even reaching 4400mhz let alone 4500.. yes i know ite a single core boost but im not seeing a single damn core boost to 4500mhz.     Also my 3800x used to idle at stock clock speed.  And now its idling at 3300-3600mhz often..  

If i had the money id sue this company for false advertisement.    

0 Kudos