Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

dan1991ro
Journeyman III

Should I wait for Renoir APUs?

Hello everyone

I have a very old computer (Intel core2duo6500,2gb of ram,and geforce405) and i am thinking about an upgrade.I don't use it for games but even Google drive or Facebook struggles,plus i have windows 10 which eats my ram.

I wanted to ask you guys if you think i should wait for the renoir apus or to get one that is already out.My choices are between 2400g or 3200g and 8gb 3000 ddr 4.I haven't played a new game since 2006 so either one has great graphics for me,but i want to get one mainly for office purposes and Multitasking-especially this.Maybe some light audio and video processing because i wanted to learn about it,but thats about it.As for gaming i will play some,it would be a plus if renoir apus would be much better than 3000's but its a plus only.

Do you think the increase in performance going from 12 nm to 7nm is worth the wait?Will the speed of the processor be significantly greater or the graphics?(There was talk of Navi graphics for example).And when do you think they will come out?

Also which is better for my purposes 3200g or 2400g?-they are about the same price where i live.

Thank you.

0 Likes
2 Replies

Well Renoir will be 10-15% faster than Picasso processor wise as it will use Zen 2 cores instead of Zen+. Graphics wise it's unknown since it's not even known if it will use yet another Vega derivation (likely) or Navi. Honestly for what you use it for, the 3200g will be like a Porche compared to your current Beetle. However, you will want to use faster RAM, the fastest your motherboard will support, as APUs benefit greatly from the faster speeds.

0 Likes

Thank you very much for your response.

0 Likes