cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

addserverip
Newcomer

Should I undervolt my Ryzen 2700x and Le Grand Macho RT combo?

Hi, just built my new Ryzen 2700x PC and had some questions about XFR2/PBO and the temps I'm seeing.  I'm not familiar with AMD temps, but are the numbers below normal?  I thought for the performance and price of the aftermarket cooler, I'd be seeing much lower temps.  Is XFR2/PBO pushing the CPU even more because it has a higher headroom from the cooling?  Seems like undervolting would help lower temps to something I'm more used to seeing but I don't want to hinder the algorithm unnecessarily.  My cause for concern is that idle temps and voltages are spiking even though I'm not doing anything (e.g. voltages spike from .8 to 1.3 without reason, driving up temps).  I'm on the latest Window and BIOS version with power plan on Windows Balanced.

Build:
NZXT H500i
Ryzen 2700X
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT
Asus Prime X470-Pro

Temps:
Idle: ~35C-40C

Gaming (Forza Horizon 4, 2550x1440, 144hz, Ultra Settings): ~55C-70C

General Use (browsing web, editing photos): ~45C-55C

0 Likes
2 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

addserverip, we have no way to know where are your temperatures come from.  Please post a screenshot from Ryzen Master (RM).  It is the only temperature reporter you can trust.  ALL the others are suspect.  Your specifications:

2700X.jpg

Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I'm getting my temps from Ryzen Master and HWInfo64 which show the tdie readings.  I understand the max temp for the processor, but my concern is in the low usage spikes that drive my temps and voltage up beyond its necessary capacity.  Example, browsing the web, light photo editing, going through folders will result in voltages spiking from .8 to 1.3 and sometimes even 1.4.  All of this is within the limits of the CPU but it drives my temperatures up unnecessarily for mundane tasks that don't occur with my Intel build.  So I just want some understanding of why the algorithm of XFR2/PBO is so aggressive during normal load and idle situations. 

Should I simply undervolt as others have suggested in other forums to reduce the heat?  My aftermarket cooler is a top tier model that should easily handle the heat and I've reseated it 3x because I was paranoid that was the culprit.

0 Likes