cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

EDSX
Journeyman III

Setting Ram Speed in Ryzen Master for rated 3200 RAM that Windows sees as 2666, can't change in BIOS

My computer is an HP Pavilion model "TG01-2170m CTO" with an AMD "Ryzen-5 5600G" (6 core) CPU and an NVIDIA "GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER" GPU card, and 16Gb 3200Mhz RAM.  I didn't add or change anything, this is the way HP sells it, I bought it new from Microcenter.  Only thing I upgraded was the memory from 16Gb to 32Gb (Crucial brand) which is still "3200Mhz".  What sucks is Windows sees the memory as "2666Mhz".  Yeah I've read all the posts and blogs about this, ...and the only answer I ever see is to "change the frequency of the memory in your BIOS".  Unfortunately, there are "no options" for changing the memory frequency in my systems BIOS.  ...and Yes, I have updated my BIOS to the most current BIOS version.  That is why I downloaded RyzenMaster, so I could tweak the memory frequency back up to 3200Mhz (what it is actually rated at).

I assume I have to:  1)  choose "Profile 1", then leave Control Mode at "Default" (because I don't want to overclock my CPU), ...and then under Memory Control choose "Included", "Coupled Mode: ON", and move both frequency sliders to half of 3200, which is "1600".  Is this correct?

I also need to know if  2)  ....there is a way that the computer can retain this setting aka launching RyzenMaster at computer startup?  ... and

3)  There is an AMD GPU on my motherboard as well, and RyzenMaster sees this.  Do I need to disable the AMD GPU option in RyzenMaster since I am using the more powerful NVIDIA GPU in my system?  Can anyone help or add any comments?

0 Likes
2 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I don't think you can set Ryzen Master to launch at startup. I have found a lot about it and that seems to be the general consensus . 

I believe you can go into your advanced graphics options in Windows and set individual apps to use the higher end GPU.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
InvaderJim
Journeyman III

I installed "Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 32GB (16GBx2)" into my "HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-2003w PC" which uses the Erica6 (SSID: 8906) motherboard.

The BIOS boot screen and 'wmic memorychip get speed' always report the stock/default RAM speed, not the configured/running speed. You can verify the true running speed in task manager or by running 'wmic memorychip get ConfiguredClockSpeed' (to see all the RAM info run 'wmic MemoryChip get /format:list' instead). The best way to check (and verify your RAM is stable) is to boot into MemTest86. MemTest86 will show the RAM's configured speed and other details. Of course it also checks if your RAM is stable.

Ryzen Master does write its settings to somewhere in the BIOS/UEFI/motherboard's memory (otherwise the configured RAM speed wouldn't be applied when you boot into another OS like MemTest86). If you mess up your RAM settings with Ryzen Master shorting the motherboard's CLR_CMOS pins says it clears the CMOS settings, but it does NOT clear out the RAM settings. To clear the RAM settings you must unplug the computer, remove the button battery, hold the power button in for five seconds, reinstall the battery, plug the computer back in and turn it on (first boot after clearing is longer, takes about a minute for me).

My RAM is stable at 1600 (DDR4-3200) when it auto selects 24-23-23-52 timings. If I try to improve my timings it won't boot. I believe this is because my motherboard's RAM voltage is locked to 1.2V. "MEM VDDIO" always reports 0 in Ryzen Master. If I change my voltage and then boot into MemTest86 it still shows it set to 1.2V.

With my 32GB of RAM running at 1600 (DDR4-3200) it completes four passes of MemTest86 in 4 hours 15 minutes. When it's running at the default speed of 1333 (DDR4-2667) it takes 4 hours 45 minutes.

[How I set my RAM speed to 1600]
-Launch RM (Ryzen Master)
-Configure RM as described in [AMD Ryzen Master - my notes] section above
-Click the pencil icon next to "Profile 1" and rename it "RAM 1600"
-Set all of the sections to "Excluded" except for the "Memory Control" section which we change to "Included"
-Slide the "Memory Clock" slider to "1600" (default 1333)
--This is works, but its timings are slower than its specs allow
--Unfortunately I couldn't get the system to boot when I manually specified its timings
--The Erica6 motherboard appears to lock the RAM voltage to 1.200V when this RAM needs 1.35V, that's probably why I can't lower its timings
--I.e. if you set a voltage, then reboot into MemTest86 you'll see its voltage is still set to 1.20V
-Click "Save Profile"
-Click "Apply & Test"
--Ensure any other apps are closed first
--Computer now reboots
--Shortly after you login RM launches and then starts its 30 second stability test
-That's it, you shouldn't need to ever run RM again
--Note, even though the initial BIOS boot screen still shows a speed of "2666 MHz" it does run at 3200 MHz (as proven by booting into MemTest86)
--I'm not sure if the BIOS boot screen info is simply wrong or if it hasn't changed to 3200 mode yet
-After the change HWiNFO reports:
--Maximum Supported Memory Clock: Unlimited
--Current Memory Clock: 1600.0 MHz
--Current Timing (tCAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS): 24-23-23-52
--Memory Channels Supported: 2
--Memory Channels Active: 2

0 Likes