Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

sophie_
Journeyman III

Search Official information if have "Ryzen Pro" processors ECC support

Hi.
I'm looking for official information on whether "Ryzen Pro" processors offer ECC-Memory support

Motherboards with ECC support are now offered and extra advertised the ECC function. Example: ASUS Pro-WS-X570 ACE
The manufacturer limits the ECC function to the Ryzen Pro CPUs.
So I assumed that Ryzen Pro officially supported ECC.
I've searched long enough on the AMD website and found no information.
But I do not want to guess if ECC could work. Or maybe not.
I am aware that ECC is present on the normal Ryzen CPUs but is not guaranteed.

I would like an official confirmation or official AMD document that supports ECC by Ryzen Pro.

I am amazed that it is so hard to get this information.

0 Likes
6 Replies

This Tech Website Thread does say that Ryzen Pro does support ECC Feature: https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=121182 

The link also mentions that Regular Ryzen CPU supports ECC but isn't "Validated". Here is a reply from the thread in the link above:

The negative about Ryzen Pro Processors they aren't sold in Retail Stores. They are considered to be OEM which are processors that are sold to Manufacturers directly to be installed in their products.

0 Likes

elstaci schrieb:

The negative about Ryzen Pro Processors they aren't sold in Retail Stores. They are considered to be OEM which are processors that are sold to Manufacturers directly to be installed in their products.

I do not understand the goals of AMD.
Does AMD believe people are too stupid to build anything other than gaming computer?

The normal CPUs have ECC. Not validated, but it works. The "normal APUs", however, not. 
Therefore, I am dependent on PRO APUs. I am relying on PRO APUs, as the motherboard manufacturers only confirm for this one ECC support.

Why is nowhere communicating, the PRO also support ECC? I don `t understand it.
Is that such a big secret?
Many technicians or technically interested people build their own (small) workstation, NAS, or a small server. Many people also value the integrity of their data. AMD leaves these people alone.

If there is no buyable offer of "PRO" APUs & CPUs in a reasonable amount of time then I'll just pick up Intel again.
At the moment I am very disappointed. Really pity.

0 Likes

As you are aware that AMD Forum is not official AMD Support. We are a User to User Forum but Moderated by AMD Employees.

I would suggest you open a AMD SERVICE REQUEST (AMD SUPPORT) see what they say from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

0 Likes

Here is AMD recent announcement of the new Ryzen Pro 3rd Generation Processors and how they will be sold:https://www.amd.com/en/press-releases/2019-09-30-amd-announces-worldwide-availability-amd-ryzen-pro-... 

Again it mentions it is OEM.

0 Likes

MisterJ first link is just for Retail Ryzen Processors not Ryzen Pro processors. The last link is if you want to purchase a OEM System with a Ryzen Pro Processors

The middile link is to find out if you can or qualify to purchase OEM Processors from AMD or not.

This Tech Website says that the new 3rd Generation Ryzen Pro Processors are sold only to OEM Companies and not sold in the Retail Market: AMD Ryzen Pro 3000 series desktop CPUs will offer full RAM encryption | Ars Technica 

0 Likes

sophie_, Support gave me some links that may help:

Where to Buy.  Both the Desktop and the Laptop Processors link to Ryzen PRO.

Sales.

Some Pro systems.

Enjoy, John.

EDIT: I failed to report what I learned about ECC memory support.  As I understand it all Ryzens support ECC memory.  It is the responsibility of the MB vendor and other vendors to support it or not and to validate it.  If a vendor supports ECC memory, there should be ECC memories specified in the memory QVL (Qualified Vendor List).