Did you mean: 

Processors

3dms
Adept I

ryzen9 3900x temp increase to 95 c when rendering

b5a7377c-19ff-4cf5-a2a3-3a9d5b3d2490.jpg 

0 Likes
1 Solution

First, the Maximum Operating Temperature of your Processor is 95c with a TDP wattage of 105 watts.

If you are using the AMD Prism that came with the processor you might want to upgrade to a stronger CPU Cooler. preferably liquid CPU Cooler if possible since Rendering is such a CPU intensive program. The Prism is sufficient for normal use but may run hotter under very heavy loads.

Try changing Windows Power plan and see if it runs cooler or in BIOS or Ryzen Master adjust the CPU Fan to run a more vigorous Fan Curve.

See if by removing one side panel on your Computer case if the temps lower. If it does, that indicates poor air circulation inside the computer case due to dirty vents, or weak case fans or other reasons.

Others Users that use Rendering software seems to prefer Liquid CPU Coolers rather than Air CPU Coolers.

In my opinion, running your Processor at Max Operating Temp for a short time shouldn't be a problem, if running hotter than 95c, the processor will throttle and lower speeds to maintain Temps at 95c or lower. Plus it will most likely shorten your processor life time if running hotter than 95c for long times.

It is best to keep the Temps below 80c if possible. That is where a high quality Liquid CPU Cooler will be effective.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
3dms
Adept I

is it normal ?*?

0 Likes

First, the Maximum Operating Temperature of your Processor is 95c with a TDP wattage of 105 watts.

If you are using the AMD Prism that came with the processor you might want to upgrade to a stronger CPU Cooler. preferably liquid CPU Cooler if possible since Rendering is such a CPU intensive program. The Prism is sufficient for normal use but may run hotter under very heavy loads.

Try changing Windows Power plan and see if it runs cooler or in BIOS or Ryzen Master adjust the CPU Fan to run a more vigorous Fan Curve.

See if by removing one side panel on your Computer case if the temps lower. If it does, that indicates poor air circulation inside the computer case due to dirty vents, or weak case fans or other reasons.

Others Users that use Rendering software seems to prefer Liquid CPU Coolers rather than Air CPU Coolers.

In my opinion, running your Processor at Max Operating Temp for a short time shouldn't be a problem, if running hotter than 95c, the processor will throttle and lower speeds to maintain Temps at 95c or lower. Plus it will most likely shorten your processor life time if running hotter than 95c for long times.

It is best to keep the Temps below 80c if possible. That is where a high quality Liquid CPU Cooler will be effective.

The Wraith Prism has a tiny "H/L" switch. The default position is L which limits the maximum speed and makes it quieter. Setting it to H allows it to spin faster (and noisier) when required. This might be enough to bring the temperature down in this case.

badrang
Journeyman III

Hi I see this answer's been around for ages and wanted to include my own for anyone else who sees it as I don't think it's hitting on the most likely scenario based on what I've read elsewhere and experienced with the 3900x. Note: I'm no hardcore overclocker or expert so as with any forum post, take it with a grain of salt and proceed with caution but I really do hope it helps whoever is reading this

It could be the coverage of the thermal paste, the mounting pressure of your cooler or what I think is more likely is what I and many others have experienced - your motherboard manufacturer has overvolted it. It's covered in this great youtube video by JayzTwoCents:
"AMD 3900X Overclocking explained... How to get improvements!"

Bottom line: Check your default core voltage and see what it's set to, Ryzen's 3900x can happily run on 1.225v-1.3v and retain all their great performance. 1.3v+ has been set on some motherboards by default and is simply too high. You will get very little performance gain (in fact you might lose some) and your temperatures will suffer.

Note: If you are having trouble finding it in your BIOS or aren't confident in this sort of thing then download Ryzen Master, select Profile 2, mark "Cores Section" and "Voltage Control" as included (exclude everything else)

and then set it to something like this.
pastedImage_5.png

If this gets you the performance you want and better temperatures then great! Apply it on startup and jobs a gud'un (I haven't figured out how to apply this automatically on startup I'm afraid, I've been doing it manually. Will update if I do)
If you want more performance then read on (I would read on anyway even if you're not planning on / comfortable with overclocking as there is some info on testing temperatures etc.)

Start slowly increasing all the clock speeds (by 100mgz at a time, keeping the same value on all cores), run cinebench r20 and see if it runs to completion with no errors or blue screens - don't worry if you get a blue screen, when you restart your PC and Ryzen Master it will reverse the changes you made so things should be safe again - lower your frequencies or up your voltage (a tiny bit!) and try again.
Note: the Apply & Test was not sufficient to test stability in my case, I always had to give it a full pass of cinebench r20 to know if it was stable

Monitor your temperature throughout this process - if you drop the voltage to below 1.3v, have default clock speeds (3800mhz) and aren't noticing (much) reduction in temperature then your problem lies elsewhere.

Once you've got a number you're happy with run Cinebench r20 one more time with a minimum duration of 300 seconds (Under File->Preferences) and monitor your temperatures throughout to make sure it survives the long haul. If you are hitting 90c+ then you still need to fix something (in my opinion - I'm sure some enthusiasts will say it's fine. Not for me anyway; I want my silicon to last)

A good tool for monitoring temperature is CPUID HWMonitor - it will give you the max temp reached.

I had the exact same issue where out of the box tests with cinebench were getting me 95c and FAST (they probably would've kept rising too; thank god I had the temp monitor up or I coulda killed it. I had to quickly cancel Cinebench midway and figure out what the issue was)
I've been overclocking my 3900x with this method and was able to get 4200mhz on all cores with just 1.225volts and a max operating temp of ~80c under load using just the box cooler! Quite the improvement, right? (Your milage will vary, you might get slightly lower clocks or need slightly higher voltage - just don't go over 1.3v if you're not an experienced overclocker- in my case I couldn't even move up to 4250mhz without losing stability even at the full 1.3v so I stopped at 4200. If I buy a new cooler I might return to this...)

Note: As with any of this advice it's just based on my own experience and as the Ryzen master says you lose your warranty for messing with this stuff. Buyer beware and all the best.