cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

baalim
Adept I

Ryzen7 3700 high temp

So I just built this new PC witha fresh windows install but its idling at 70c, I checked the fan and applied a little bit of extra termal paste in case that was the problem but the temp remains the same.

I read about disabling Precision Boost Overdrive so I went to the BIOS and nothing changed.

System specs:
Ryzen 7 3700X
X570 gaming X motherboard
64GB DDR4 3200 G Skill

Its a Corsair Carbide c05 series ATX case, it only comes with 1 fan (I'll probalby add more) and we are currently at about 25c ambient temperature.

Is this normal?, The FAN its running at full speed all the time so it gets kind of annoying.

a1db2f90a80c1e1160e367a61449ee5e.png

8eefcdb76fe89f62cb182d9b2be7feee.png

0 Likes
22 Replies
int13h
Staff

Mind providing a full system config?

CPU cooler and OS in particular?

0 Likes

done below.

0 Likes
twerkthatboot
Adept II

Hi,

Ryzen 3000 series processors run a little hotter than expected and you will see a temperature spike anywhere from 40-60 degrees on even idle. That being said, hitting 70 degrees on idle is worrisome and not normal. Need more info to provide better support. 

0 Likes

Its the standard cooler and I'm on a recently installed Win10 Home

5ca0b07efa864fa2a1cd55354696a3ad.png

Right now I'm playing Warzone and its hovering between 82 to 92

0 Likes
baalim
Adept I

while playing Warzone temps:

967e1240374537414cbac3a17d9fdf24.png

0 Likes
baalim
Adept I

more info: 

42b7efc01e320952a8392e7fd82e4440.png

0 Likes
baalim
Adept I

also is it normal that Ryzen master and the Gibabyte information Viewer give me different CPU temps?ebe2bab67d5f3eeea454466a009d2a7a.png

0 Likes

Firstly, reaching temps of 90 degrees while playing Call of Duty Warzone is not normal. Having the only 1 fan is a major downside here and feels like could be the culprit for these extended high temps. Stock cooler too should be able to keep your temps under 85 or even 80 with a cooler ambient temperature. Secondly, On Ryzen Master select the "Creator" Profile and apply it. Run Cinebench R20 and record the temperatures and clock speeds and voltage under load on Ryzen Master. Lastly to answer your question,

baalim wrote:

also is it normal that Ryzen master and the Gibabyte information Viewer give me different CPU temps?ebe2bab67d5f3eeea454466a009d2a7a.png

Yes, both programs provide you with accurate information. The catch being, that both are updating the information and displaying them differently. Ryzen Master tends to average out the temperatures to provide a better overall CPU picture while other softwares update the information much faster and display the highest core temperature. So the other monitoring softwares like to display the highest temperature of any of the cores in the CPU at a given time and since Ryzen tends to constantly boost itself under no load you see temperature fluctuations. If you notice, these fluctuations go away when you play a game though.

0 Likes

Yes the 1 fan isn't great but I really don't think it is whats causing these temps, the CPU fan goes at max as soon as the PC is on, its not like it takes time for the case heat to build up or something.

I didnt see a record feature on Ryzen Master so I took screenshots:

Mid test:
mid test.jpg

End of test:
end test.jpg

I ran the test again and recorded it on the Gigabyte app:

Voltage: voltage.png

Temp:

temp.png
Fan:

fan.png

I thought something in windows was stressing the CPU but I checked and no,  its at 1% on Idle and goes to 100% on the test.

0 Likes

Alright seeing the above screenshots it is pretty evident that your processor isn't able to hit it's advertised clock speeds because of temperature issues. If you see the under-load Ryzen master screenshot, we see that the chip is only able to boost to 3762. The chip absolutely will not hit the advertised 4.4Ghz all core during a stress test as it'll start to down clock itself to hold it's temperatures in check. The only solution is making sure your CPU runs a lot cooler. You should be able to hit an idle temperature of 40-50 degrees with a little tune. Download 

You need to figure a way out to cool your CPU better but until then I can help you out with a slight negative offset that should increase your overall score and performance while lowering your temps. (I know it sounds weird being able to gain performance by boosting clocks and lowering temperatures but by my testing, it works better)

You should also try to change these settings in the BIOS and see if it makes any difference.

(Please perform a benchmark noting the temps and clock speeds at least twice to get a good baseline to see if this affects your performance at all)

• Global C-state control = Enabled
  • Power Supply Idle Control = Low Current Idle
  • CPPC = Enabled
  • CPPC Preferred Cores = Enabled
  • AMD Cool'n'quiet = Enabled
  • PPC Adjustment = PState 0
0 Likes

Changed the BIOS settings you told me and here are the results:

Before benchmark: 891d80ae355a913199070113abfbebc0.png

Then took 3 screenshots of the benchmark:
1610b19364f106e9072def3a2350ad32.jpg

a855fd84e1772b770d99a636fea66bd0.jpg

45a9590d6e202a1d3c1d78816ba9e01c.jpg

0 Likes
chad27
Adept III

Maybe a defective cooler? Seen a thread here not long ago talking about wraith cooler  if memory serves me correctly

0 Likes

How would I check if that is the issue wihtout buying another one?

0 Likes
chad27
Adept III

Search the thread in the processors section. It was related to a customer having issues with a 3700. Can’t remember the details but cooler I believe was suspect 

0 Likes

I couldnt find it

0 Likes

0 Likes
baalim
Adept I

So today I decided to take the side-lid off and run games to see if the GPU fans were working etc and the temps only reach 80c while under load, so it seems it was just a simple case of poor case ventilation afterall.

It has one front fan (pushint is worse than pulling air out), the case is kind of closed since I dont like too much RGB stuff and the side door is acrylic which is an isulator and the  GPU + M2 hadr drive generate a lot of heat apparently enough to this degree.

So I'll put some serious fan in the back, perhaps get a glass door instead of the acrylic too and I'll let you know if it works well.

I have two 120mm in front and one 120mm in rear seems ok but my stock 3600 cooler cant handle heavy loads it seems

0 Likes

So you had to get an aftermarket liquid cooler?

It seems that these cpus are simply pushing the boundaries of air coolers because the OEM one big and well constructed but its not enough if you want a quiet pc.

0 Likes
chad27
Adept III

Ive thought about a liquid cooler or a good air cooler. The cooler that comes with your cpu is better than mine. Though I wonder how quite liquid coolers are as they have fans also.

0 Likes

in my experiences Fans are very quiet when running under 2krpm.

I'll buy the Corsair one that has 2 fans, its almost the same price as the 1 fan option.

0 Likes

That's the one I am considering. 

0 Likes