cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Ryzen Threadripper 1950x very low benchmark scores (3D Mark)

Hi, first, I'd like to apologize for grammar mistakes and such, as English is not my native language.

I recently got my hand on a Ryzen Threadripper 1950x (My first AMD Processor <3, always had Intel before), and I have been using it for approximately two months.

So far I have experienced some lags (mouse cursor becoming slow or even freezing sometimes) and some programs freezing up before starting (Like the task manager), but I didn't think much of it, mostly blaming it on software related issues.

But now, I recently got 3D Mark and launched a Time Spy benchmark and got thoses CPU results :

- 5163 with a 1070Ti, stock frequency : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X,Micro-Star Int...

- 5000 with a Titan Xp CE, stock frequency : NVIDIA Titan Xp Collector's Edition video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X,Micro...

- 5251 with a Titan Xp CE, at 3.9Mhz. : NVIDIA Titan Xp Collector's Edition video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X,Micro...

- 5057 with a Titan Xp CE, at 4.1Mhz. : NVIDIA Titan Xp Collector's Edition video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X,Micro...

(Please note that I'm focusing on the CPU score, and not the GPU score)

When I'm comparing to other benchmarks, the results I'm getting are impressively low, being at least 40% to 50% lower than most benchmarks with the same CPU and 1 GPU.

Now, I don't really know what's causing this, it might also be a good idea to mention that I bought this Threadripper as reconditioned, and that this processor saw 3 different motherboards, as the first two (Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7) died on me after a few days of usage, until I got fed up and changed the motherboard model for an MSI. It worked very well since then (Well at least it did not die).

So, can I have some ideas on why I am getting those results and what I should do ? Is it a mistake in my build (It should be linked on my benchmark results) ? Should I send the processor to warranty ? Did I make a very stupid mistake (I'm betting on this one) ?

Thanks for your time !

0 Likes
1 Solution

That is low...I only have one Timespy score and it's overclocked at 4.2GHz on a 1920X but it is 9500 so you seem to be missing maybe half your score...

So immediate question is are you running Game mode...i.e.8 cores?

It would probably also help if you listed your specs in detail...particularly RAM

Those freezing symptoms are very typical reading around the net...for people who have less than ideal RAM for this system.

Actually looking at your results seems you are running only dual channel?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies

That is low...I only have one Timespy score and it's overclocked at 4.2GHz on a 1920X but it is 9500 so you seem to be missing maybe half your score...

So immediate question is are you running Game mode...i.e.8 cores?

It would probably also help if you listed your specs in detail...particularly RAM

Those freezing symptoms are very typical reading around the net...for people who have less than ideal RAM for this system.

Actually looking at your results seems you are running only dual channel?

0 Likes

Yes, I figured that's low, and I also had a feeling about the RAM, I wanted to be sure before actually doing anything.

Game mode is not enabled, all 16 cores and 32 thread are running at full capacity.

My RAMs are Corsair Vengeance running at 2 798 MHz, and yes, I use only two modules. Do you think I should use more modules ?

I opened a Reddit thread on /r/AMDHelp : https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/800ju8/ryzen_threadripper_1950x_very_low_benchmark/

No offence to the AMD forum, but the administration of every message takes hours, and is making the forum insanely slow (And annoying).

0 Likes

Well, should, I can't say...that's personal choice but I guess if the platform is set up for quad channel memory then I guess that's the way to go for top performance. This platform is very picky with RAM from what I can gather and doesn't like high density modules.

4x8 is a sweet spot from what I can tell...G.Skill Trident Z or Ripjaws V with Samsung B-die are the best from what I have seen.

I have a set of F4-3200C14Q-32GVK that run very well

0 Likes

Well, I had planed to get more RAMs in the future anyway. I already ordered a set of 4 * 8 GB of RAM at 3466Mhz (The max supported frequency for the motherboard is 3333Mhz). Hopefully that'll work, otherwise I'll send the CPU back to warranty.

I'll let you know, I receive the RAM tomorrow.

(This is the RAM I bought, should work just fine : Corsair Vengeance RGB - Kit de Mémorie Enthousiaste (32Go (4x8Go), DDR4, 3466MHz, C16, XMP 2.0) - No... )

0 Likes

I'm not entirely sure it will...it is qualified for Intel 100/200 platforms not really TR4

You have to look carefully at the QVL for the motherboard...fingers crossed!

0 Likes

Woah, I am baffeled.

It was indeed the RAMs, with the RAM modules, I went from 5000 CPU at stock to 11000 at 3.9 Ghz. (I can't push it to 4.2, I have a two fan sized cooling closed loop).

I activated XMP profile 2 in the BIOS (Strangely, my motherboard had two profiles, profile one pushes the RAMs from 2800Mhz to 3333Mhz, but profile two pushes them actually beyond OC motherboard limits to 3466Mhz, dunno why, I'm not an experienced user in overclocking).

Now everything is smooth and the benchmark is insane .

Thank you Arnesaknussemm, the problem isn't always where we think it is .

(Plus now I got cool RGB lights on my RAMs \o/)

0 Likes

OK cool! Glad the new RAM is working good

0 Likes