Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

gerstepe
Journeyman III

Ryzen R5 3600 - BSODs with Core Performance Boost enabled

Hello,

I'm having trouble with my recently purchased Ryzen 5 3600 Processor. I'm getting Bluescreens on Windows 10 and system hangs on Manjaro Budgie with Kernel 5.9 (didn't test other kernels).

I can trigger a bluescreen / crash consistenly if i watch a video an a streaming service like youtube for a couple of minutes.

Heavy load doesn't seem to be the problem, a can run prime95 fine for a couple minutes, haven't tried it for much longer.

I also could play Far Cry 5 without crash / bsod for a couple of hours. It seems to crash only under a minimal load.

Things i tried so far without success:  

- deactivated XMP Profile

- populated only one ram slot

- ran memtest (windows builtin and memtest86) (no error)

- fresh windows 10 install on a SATA SSD with up to date chipset / graphic / etc. drivers

- flashed newest (non-beta) BIOS Update and CMOS Reset

- Tried another graphics card

- Tried another PSU

- Tried various other BIOS Settings (Power Supply Idle Control to typical, etc.)

The only thing that seems to work is when i deactivate Core Performance Boost in the BIOS CPU Settings. I still need to test if that works longterm. I attached some of the Windows 10 minidumps below.

Any ideas? I would really like to use the Core Performance Boost.

Hardware:

Ryzen 5 3600

MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI (MS-7C84)

G.Skill F4-3200C16-8GVKB (DDR4-3200 16GB Kit) (on Motherboard Compatibility List)
   AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB

PNY CS3030 500GB SSD (M.2 NVMe)
   550 Watt Enermax Revolution Modular 80+ PSU

0 Likes
7 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Go to BIOS and reset it to the factory settings. After restart, go back to BIOS and set the CPU Core Ratio value to 35 then restart again. Does the problem exist still?

Your processor is causing errors and it may be necessary to adjust the some BIOS settings...

Edit: Also, your PSU capacity is low. Testing myself I found that the RX480 consumes up to 210 watts while gaming.

0 Likes

I didn't try changing the Core Ratio value yet.

I set Load Line Calibration to Mode 3 and it runs without crashes since then.

Also, you can try to increase VRM level for this. You can stabilize your system with these settings.

0 Likes
swedishgoth
Journeyman III

I have the exact same thing. I still can not engage Core Isolation without blue screen.

Here is what I found out so far.
- ASUS motherboard B450 = Working and supporting Ryzen 5 and the feature

- AMD Ryzen 5 = Working and supporting virtualization, Core Isolation and a ton of hardware security which always is "on".
The blue screen is caused by enable Core Isolation protection for your memory.

How to "fix" to stop the blue screens
1. BIOS: Its the CPU Virtualization setting. Set it to disable. Save. Start win 10.

2. In win 10 Windows Security (settings - update and security - Windows Security), go to device security and you see Core Isolation is gone atm (because your CPU virtualization is disabled). Notice you have both Secure boot and Processor Security (TPM). IT should be TPM 2, PPI 1.3.

Create a system restore at this point, and Win 10 will automaticly revert whatever setting is causing win 10 to bluescreen.

3. Reboot. Yes, without doing anything.

Go to BIOS and enable CPU Virtualization.

Save and start windows.

Go to Windows Security - Device Security and "Core Isolation" is back. Check it and "memory Integrity" is deselected"

When you enable memory Integrity, and reboots, is where the blue screen pops up.

I have to leave it here, in order to get all other security to work properly. I have yet not gotten any answer from ASUS why this is, since their motherboard supports AMD Ryzen 5 CPU virtualization.

I Am unsure, but I THINK that Ryzen serie, do not need windows to enable CPU virtualization to get the memory integrity feature. Could anyone confirm or refute that please?

If you enable memory integrity, reboots, and you dont blue screen, make a system restore at once!

0 Likes

It is very likely that the problem you are experiencing is different from the problems of the subject owner. I cannot answer your question. But if the problem was the same, the VRM setting would not solve the problem.

0 Likes

I'm having a similar problem. When I disable Core Performance Boost, I get zero BSODs. When I enable it, I get BSOD during Windows 10 boot screen.

Should I keep the Core Boost disabled?

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

gerstepe, really! - 550 Watt power supply????  I recommend 750 Watt - maybe a little more.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes