cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Zapionics
Adept I

Ryzen Power Plans - Should we use them?

I'm posting a new thread about the power plans as I dont understand which ones we're supposed to use.

I'm using Win 10 on a desktop PC with an X570 chipset based board and a Ryzen 9 5950X. I originally did a fresh install of windows 10 with a Ryzen 5 3900XT, however my current CPU is the Ryzen 9 5950X.  All drivers are up to date as of today, including the latest chipet drivers.

I see the Ryzen special power plans shown under "Preferred plans" : AMD Ryzen Balanced and High Performance.  The windows default Microsoft plans are shown under "Hide additional plans".

If I select the Ryzen balanced plan then the power slider is displayed in the "power and sleep" settings.  If I select the Ryzen High Peformance plan then the slider is removed.

My questions:

Which power plan am I supposed to use for this setup?  I have no concerns about power use, I just want best performance at all times, although I dont expect devices to be running flat-out when they are not in use.

I read that the Ryzen power plans are no longer needed for Ryzen 9, is that correct?  If so, then why are they shown in the settings?

What does that power slider actually do?   If I change it nothing seems to change in the power plan settings?

Any help much appreciated

0 Likes
1 Solution
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

We have an existing thread that answers your questions here, no need to open another thread on the same topic. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

We have an existing thread that answers your questions here, no need to open another thread on the same topic. 

0 Likes