cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mackbolan777
Forerunner

Ryzen Master says I need Windows 10

I have Windows 10 Pro x64 build 20H2 19042.804 and it installs but when I try to run it, it claims that I need Windows 10. I was hoping this newer version of Ryzen Master would've fixed this but I guess not. It's not a preview build or anything. 

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes
1 Solution

Nope, we both overlooked a major item we all do and thanks to a troll posting about disabling DCOM, I realized there's another thing to check for some weird issues. We turn certain Windows services off, at least I do to save resources, close potential backdoors, limit the "attack surface" for APT and zero day type things, and other seemingly useless items. One I turn off, because I don't use "Home Group" or share a printer or files, is "Workstation".

I looked up what dependencies Ryzen Master needs to work and it smacked me in the face, because I then remembered. So I navigated to "Services" and enabled "Workstation" but only made it "manual". This allowed for Ryzen Master to work perfectly until it had to reboot to apply changes and auto-restart. Sigh, so I then went back to "Services" and enabled "Workstation" to "auto" and Ryzen Master will work any time.

Side note is all that to get it to work and this 5600x won't boost much past stock limits, ~4.7ish. Doesn't get hot, just locks and reboots or hard crashes depending on the voltage. I was trying for the under volt, PBO, Auto OC trick, but it's a "unicorn". Ryzen Master did tell me which cores were best and I only have 2, to succeed you need at least 4.

One video brought up how AMD "grades" their CPU's and silicon in general and why they feed them so much juice to start with. They liken the silicon wafers to "gold", "silver" or "bronze" in quality, so you get a mixed bag of all of that. "Life is like a box of chocolate's" applies here. I got the one with mostly borderline die quality that barely makes the 4.6 non-PBO let alone much more. In my case I found it pretty impossible to even use the per core method of the "curve optimizer", running a negative 5 for starters, resulted in weird behavior and uhhg. I tried the all core version, turned PBO off, and set a negative 30 all core and it worked pretty good but still boosting to stock levels and scores were lower than expected, so were temps but it missed the mark. 

So apon hours and now days, of trying every avenue to achieve the 4800 "unicorn", the efforts failed. Maybe I don't have the patience for a solid per core under volt, because 2 out of 6 cores will do 4.85 and then some, or this silicon is borderline and no lottery here, lucky it even does what it does. AMD should take the "X" off these and call the CPU's flat numbers because none to few are worthy of an "X" title. My former 3600X was one that broke the mold and was a simple PBO +200 and done. It did 4395 single core and 4.2 multi core heavy load, so it at least hit the mark of the +200 claims and could've done better if I had a way to run a negative offset with my AsRock board.

Final thoughts are 4.7 is doable with PBO, Motherboard, +100 as a maximum, safe OC. No voltage dropped, results in reboots. A solid all core isn't worth a few points to run at 4700/1.4v due to heat under a multicore heavy load like Cinebench R23, where it will hit 95c quickly. Yes, I have an AIO. These run best at lower voltages or higher ones to get the clock you want on a single core boost. I also found the 2 best cores are the ones that go to 4.6 or boost in general more often for longer, the others seem to lay around base or near base clock speed of 3700. Core 5 is pathetic, it actually drops from time to time below stock speed at any voltage, under load. That alone could be a reason to RMA but the wait time for that, exceeds my patience. 

I'm nearly ready to just switch teams, the competition is beating AMD due to the stability and consistent performance they have. I wouldn't need to sit for hours or days "tweaking" anything and for $20 they give you an OC warranty for the life of the chip. Sadly, like my RX 6800 and I can't afford to switch teams for a while. I mean who cares if AMD is faster if it can't stay running at advertised speeds? Scattershot quality is why they came out with the "curve optimizer", it's to make up for lower quality silicon and it does so in increments of 3-5MV per tick of "magnitude". What the bleep is that? "Let's guess how many mv this negative 5 drops or gains". No hard values, the firmware decides, another "raffle" So one could literally spend 48 hours testing and rebooting until you really fine tune the CPU that should be mostly "click n go". Maybe I should take my mom's advice and sell this CPU, go back to the 3600X for naow and try again but this time go to the 5900X for a more expensive mental beating. Then I'm guaranteed the 4.8, but back to the fight if I want any more. Insanity of it all! 

View solution in original post

11 Replies
mackbolan777
Forerunner

If it helps, the entire AMD folder is outside "program files" with it's own folder. See pic. Inside is a Ryzen Master but no where else on the drive, like it should be.AMD folder.png

0 Likes

That is the AMD installation folder that is automatically created every time you run a AMD Driver package.

You can safely delete that folder. Sometimes it creates conflict or corrupts newer AMD drivers installation since it will have the previous AMD driver and software already in that folder.

Each time you install a AMD Driver package the AMD Installation folder keeps getting larger and larger. eventually it can be several GBs large.

Nvidia does the same thing. That is why I tend to delete that folder (AMD or NVIDIA) before installing a AMD or Nvidia Driver package.

0 Likes

Ok, so I'll delete that but it installed half way in Program Files so I need to uninstall it first... Then I'll try to reinstall it. If it works, you get a solution!!

0 Likes

No dice! Say missing required OS. I really kind, sorta need it to figure out my new 5600X undervolt curve.

Try using Microsoft Troubleshooter MS Install/Uninstaller to uninstall Ryzen Master and to install it.

It does more than just work Windows Registry. It sets up Windows to install or uninstall a program.

CClean is good for many things but I use Revo Uninstaller and for my wife I use the free Wise Uninstaller. Both does the same thing in getting rid of Registry and folders not deleted during the normal uninstallation process.

Basically it sounds like you have left over files or Registry entries that is corrupting the installation process. Or the latest Ryzen Master version has a bug in it.

0 Likes

It's done this since I fresh installed back in December. And before that over the summer, it never worked. Always says "Missing Required OS!" and quits. CCleaner removed it by invoking the Ryzen Master Uninstaller, then I used the registry tool part to remove the leftovers. 

I'll try Windows Troubleshooter but that tried to use Windows 8.1 compatibility, which is a no go. I can't believe I'm the only one running version 20H2 and has this problem.

Maybe I should rip my DCOM out like another OP says is a smart thing to do on here! lol

0 Likes

Ryzen Master is only compatible with Windows 10 and no other OS.

If you did a fresh install of Windows 10 and still have the same problem then most likely it is a hardware issue.

It could be a your 5000 series processor the problem

To eliminate that if you can install a 3000 series cpu and see if Ryzen Master now installs correctly. If it does that mean the issue is with your 5000 series processor.

Note: At another Windows Tech site that specializes in BSODs it mentioned that if you do a clean install of Windows and the computer still crashes then it is most likely a hardware issue rather than a software issue.

EDIT: Another User was having issues with Ryzen Master after installing using a 5000 series processor. He ended up installing the latest version of Ryzen Master but also updated his BIOS on his motherboard.

In your case have you tried updating the BIOS on your motherboard - if you haven't done so yet.  Updating the BIOS might make your new CPU more compatible with Ryzen Master.

0 Likes

Nope, we both overlooked a major item we all do and thanks to a troll posting about disabling DCOM, I realized there's another thing to check for some weird issues. We turn certain Windows services off, at least I do to save resources, close potential backdoors, limit the "attack surface" for APT and zero day type things, and other seemingly useless items. One I turn off, because I don't use "Home Group" or share a printer or files, is "Workstation".

I looked up what dependencies Ryzen Master needs to work and it smacked me in the face, because I then remembered. So I navigated to "Services" and enabled "Workstation" but only made it "manual". This allowed for Ryzen Master to work perfectly until it had to reboot to apply changes and auto-restart. Sigh, so I then went back to "Services" and enabled "Workstation" to "auto" and Ryzen Master will work any time.

Side note is all that to get it to work and this 5600x won't boost much past stock limits, ~4.7ish. Doesn't get hot, just locks and reboots or hard crashes depending on the voltage. I was trying for the under volt, PBO, Auto OC trick, but it's a "unicorn". Ryzen Master did tell me which cores were best and I only have 2, to succeed you need at least 4.

One video brought up how AMD "grades" their CPU's and silicon in general and why they feed them so much juice to start with. They liken the silicon wafers to "gold", "silver" or "bronze" in quality, so you get a mixed bag of all of that. "Life is like a box of chocolate's" applies here. I got the one with mostly borderline die quality that barely makes the 4.6 non-PBO let alone much more. In my case I found it pretty impossible to even use the per core method of the "curve optimizer", running a negative 5 for starters, resulted in weird behavior and uhhg. I tried the all core version, turned PBO off, and set a negative 30 all core and it worked pretty good but still boosting to stock levels and scores were lower than expected, so were temps but it missed the mark. 

So apon hours and now days, of trying every avenue to achieve the 4800 "unicorn", the efforts failed. Maybe I don't have the patience for a solid per core under volt, because 2 out of 6 cores will do 4.85 and then some, or this silicon is borderline and no lottery here, lucky it even does what it does. AMD should take the "X" off these and call the CPU's flat numbers because none to few are worthy of an "X" title. My former 3600X was one that broke the mold and was a simple PBO +200 and done. It did 4395 single core and 4.2 multi core heavy load, so it at least hit the mark of the +200 claims and could've done better if I had a way to run a negative offset with my AsRock board.

Final thoughts are 4.7 is doable with PBO, Motherboard, +100 as a maximum, safe OC. No voltage dropped, results in reboots. A solid all core isn't worth a few points to run at 4700/1.4v due to heat under a multicore heavy load like Cinebench R23, where it will hit 95c quickly. Yes, I have an AIO. These run best at lower voltages or higher ones to get the clock you want on a single core boost. I also found the 2 best cores are the ones that go to 4.6 or boost in general more often for longer, the others seem to lay around base or near base clock speed of 3700. Core 5 is pathetic, it actually drops from time to time below stock speed at any voltage, under load. That alone could be a reason to RMA but the wait time for that, exceeds my patience. 

I'm nearly ready to just switch teams, the competition is beating AMD due to the stability and consistent performance they have. I wouldn't need to sit for hours or days "tweaking" anything and for $20 they give you an OC warranty for the life of the chip. Sadly, like my RX 6800 and I can't afford to switch teams for a while. I mean who cares if AMD is faster if it can't stay running at advertised speeds? Scattershot quality is why they came out with the "curve optimizer", it's to make up for lower quality silicon and it does so in increments of 3-5MV per tick of "magnitude". What the bleep is that? "Let's guess how many mv this negative 5 drops or gains". No hard values, the firmware decides, another "raffle" So one could literally spend 48 hours testing and rebooting until you really fine tune the CPU that should be mostly "click n go". Maybe I should take my mom's advice and sell this CPU, go back to the 3600X for naow and try again but this time go to the 5900X for a more expensive mental beating. Then I'm guaranteed the 4.8, but back to the fight if I want any more. Insanity of it all! 

I never disable or change any Services unless I am troubleshooting an issue.  Which is probably why I never thought of mentioning that in this thread.

Good troubleshooting on your part. That is good to know for the future if other Users are having installation issues. But I would think that troubleshooter MS Install/Uninstall would spot that and alert you that a certain Service is needed to run.

I also looked at that User mentioning to disable DCOM but when I researched the matter it was mentioned that it should only be temporarily disabled until a patch was installed that fixes the issue or for troubleshooting purposes concerning DCOM. 

Otherwise it was highly recommended to keep DCOM enabled since many programs uses that feature to run.

You should mark your last reply as "Solution" so other Users will know what you needed to do fix your Ryzen Master installation problem.

NOTE: The only Service I may disabled or change are those specifically connected to a 3rd party program or software.  Like when you run Intel own  Driver updater it creates two Services that allow Intel updater to run all the time in the background. So the only way to prevent the Intel Driver updater from running all the time I need to disable both of the Inter Driver Services.

I hate marking my own as a solution but I guess that's the only way others will find out that Workstation is a service they might need for various things, Xbox Gamebar or Xbox TCUI are 2 others that need it or games like Forza 4 won't work. Forza 4 is junk anyway, so disabling Workstation seemed ok. Less network connected services the better in my book. 

The services I disabled save quite a bit of CPU clocks and RAM and many are really for business things. LRPC is one that it even says to disable because it is a security hole and not in use since Server 2008 and is there for compatibility if you need it. Windows does come with much more than needed running, however, if your firewall is set up right, one has little to worry about from the outside. Hackers would rather have you download something willingly or click on something then fight through the OS. 

To truly figure out what is safe to disable, I make it "manual" first, this way I can flip it back on if need be. Windows hasn't added much through 20H2, so my list of disabled or set to manual services has remained the same. Aside from Ryzen Master, for my personal, daily use, I've never run into a need for Workstation. I tried Forza 4 out and that was another time since it needs the Xbox stuff running to work, very annoying and another Microsoft way of spying on our activities. I've nothing to hide but just send me a survey, or ask me in an email. No need to add an extra resource to glean info against my will. Lmao!

Thank you very much. I set up a special account on this site to thank you

0 Likes