Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

noxenvon
Adept I

Ryzen Master EDC at 100%?

Jump to solution

I've recently made a new build with a 2700x, it's not overclocked, everything (CPU, GPU, RAM) is running at stock speeds. My question is; why does Ryzen Master software show the EDC, whatever that is, at 99-100% at idle? What is EDC, is it dangerously high for my system, can I change it? I've tried google searched on this topic but there's little to no -entry level- explainations. Threads and reddit posts have gone into such extreme details referring to VRM's and other techno jumble I don't quite understand just yet. I'm very new to the enthusiast PC scene, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Ryzen Master EDC at 100%?

Jump to solution

This issue can be resolved by using the Windows Balanced Power Profile and the latest version of Ryzen Master Tool which you can download here: AMD Ryzen™ Master Utility for Overclocking Control | AMD

From Redstone 3, the Windows Balanced Power Profile now contains the changes that made the Ryzen Balanced Power Profile Unique, but with the added benefit that the processor can now lower voltage and frequency when idle.

View solution in original post

37 Replies
misterj
Exemplar

Jump to solution

noxenvon, I am with you and trying to determine what EDC means.  I installed Ryzen Master to see what it says about my system but cannot find EDC, so far.  Apparently there are two; CPU and SOC.  Which are you looking at? Here are my specifications, please post your equivalent:

ASRock Fatal1ty X399 Pro Gaming, Threadripper 1950X, 2xSamsung SSD 960 EVO RAID, 1TB &

500 GB WD Black, G.SKILL [Flare X (for AMD)] F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Windows 10 x64 Pro,

Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.0

Got to run, check later.  Enjoy, John.

0 Kudos
noxenvon
Adept I

Jump to solution

Here is what I have on my Ryzen Master screen, I'm looking at the EDC (CPU) option, second from last.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

My specs;

Ryzen 2700x

MSI x470 Gaming Plus

240GB M.2 WD SSD, with 2TB HDD Storage.

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 2666MHz

Corsair H100i V2 CPU Cooler

GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X

Win10 x64 Pro

EDIT: I've found that changing the Windows power plan options from the Balanced for Ryzen CPU to the standard Windows Balanced plan takes the EDC down between 20-30% at idle, and 95-100% at load though in doing that, my core clocks fluccuate sporadically from 2.2GHz to 4.5GHz

misterj
Exemplar

Jump to solution

noxenvon, thanks much for the screenshot, good idea.  Here's mine:

MyRyzenMaster.jpg

It is quite different from yours and no EDC(CPU).  You also have several other quantities that I do not.  Somehow you have selected Core 1 and don't seem to be able to do that.  I will continue to investigate and let you know what I learn.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

EDIT: Found this in the Ryzen Master manual:

"DC Current (amps) and Power (Watts) reported for Ryzen 2000 Series CPU and APU processors"

I suspect the EDC and other settings you are seeing at only available for the 2000 Series and not my 1950X.

0 Kudos
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

Jump to solution

given you are running your gear at stock, you should have little to worry about

check for BIOS updates and make sure windows is updated and you should be fine

video drivers are a tad flakey sometimes but often a game patch will fix most problems

noxenvon
Adept I

Jump to solution

Everything is a fresh install/uptodate, including bios.

Video drivers are set to automatically update and i reinstalled the latest version (Nvidia drivers) earlier today.

I say running at base speeds, but the processor seems to fluccuate randomy. THe stock speed is supposed to be 3.7, but it runs anywhere from 3.9-4.135 without any input from myself... I don't know why it does this, or how to correct it, but it's what came out the box so i'm not touching it xD

0 Kudos
misterj
Exemplar

Jump to solution

noxenvon, I suspect your varying speeds are due to Precision Boost.  This can be disabled in the BIOS/UEFI.  The processor boost as conditions permit.  With EDC pegged, boost will be restricted.  Working to getting the 4-pin power cable installed?  Enjoy, John.

0 Kudos
noxenvon
Adept I

Jump to solution

Thanks again to everyone who posted and helped.

I've since disabled Precision Boost and Core Boost in the BIOS and I'm now running at more comfortable temps (65-70% EDC) at base clock speed of 3.7GHz. While that may be selling the 2700x short of what it's capable of, it was never my intention to overclock on day one. I got the parts with the options to OC in the future, and I've learned a lot more from this experience than I thought!

So once again, thanks to everyone who posted/left feedback/gave support. I'm wiser for it now!

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

Jump to solution

Modern processors (CPU and GPU) both have dynamic clocks to reduce overall power consumption.

AMD GPUs can also switch off parts to reduce even more power when not being used for gaming etc.

NVIDIA is doing something like that with more recent hardware as well.

0 Kudos
misterj
Exemplar

Jump to solution

noxenvon, please update Ryzen Master to version 1.4.0.0728.  It has some new information for EDC.  Please post a screenshot.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Kudos