Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

lights_a5
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: Ryzen linux kernel bug 196683 - Random Soft Lockup

Came here to say that I as well have similar problems and think this bug is the problem.

I'm running Arch Linux with Gnome desktop.

Hardware:

Motherboard: ASUS X370-Pro

Processor: Ryzen 7 1700

Graphics Card: RX 480

Kernel: Linux 4.18.9

I updated the BIOS and tried the suggested work around to setting the power supply idle control to typical. A day later I got a hang. Less than 3 hours uptime and I was idle for like 10 minutes. I came back, moved my mouse to a text field on Firefox and it hung.

I am very disappointed in this.

0 Kudos
rbkreckel
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Can you, please, check using the zenstates.py script if "C6 State - Package" really is disabled after you changed the power supply idle control in the BIOS?

If it's indeed disabled, then you seem to me to be the first one speaking up here whose system still hangs when idle. For all others, this worked.

0 Kudos
lights_a5
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I ran zenstates and it appears to be enabled still. I went ahead and used the script to disable the C6 State. I guess we will see what happens now.

0 Kudos
zankuro
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Hi. I have a notebook Asus ROG Strix with Ryzen 7 1700 and it are freezing on idle too. My CPU was manufactured on 2017 46th week (UA 1746PGS, yes, I need to repaste my CPU) so, no segfault bug here, but idle freeze. I'm with Linux (Ubuntu 18.04.1). As a notebook, the option "Typical current idle" does not exist, so I tried several other things. Various kernel versions (from 4.15 to 4.19-rc5), parameters, etc. So far, what has resolved, was to compile a custom kernel (I compiled 4.18.9) with the option "CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPU" together with the parameter "rcu-nocbs=0-15". I confirm that this solves the problem. When Ubuntu 18.10 is released, instead of compiling a custom kernel, I'll just try to disable C6 state with zenstates.py.

0 Kudos
imshalla
Adept II
Adept II

In my experience, "freeze when idle" is when I leave the machine idle (typically overnight) and when I return to it, it responds to nothing -- the machine is still on, but the mouse, keyboard and network are all (apparently) ignored.

What you describe, however, is the machine responding to the mouse when you returned to it, but then freezing -- which is not quite the same.

Having read 196683 – Random Soft Lockup on new Ryzen build​, it seems to me that there may be two or more problems which result in a frozen system.  Indeed, the initial report in that thread sounds more like the problem you report. This "random soft lockup" is characterized by logging messages of the form:

NMI watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#12 stuck for 23s! [DOM Worker:1364]

which appear, possibly many times, before the system freezes completely.

The "freeze when idle", on the other hand, has no precursor messages... the system just freezes (and logging just stops).

Many moons ago I did see "random soft lockup" (complete with logging messages), but that went away, and I just got the "freeze when idle".  Sadly, I have no idea why the "random soft lockup" went away. 

It could be that "freeze when idle" and "random soft lockup" are related problems, or even variants of the same problem.

Or it could be that these are different problems, which could be why "Typical current idle" does not work for you.

Who knows ?

AMD and/or the Linux Kernel folk might know -- but they have taken a vow of silence :(

0 Kudos
imshalla
Adept II
Adept II

Before "Typical Current Idle" I suffered freezes on various kernel versions.   My impression is that "CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPU=y" + "rcu-nocbs=0-15" + "zenstates.py --c6-package-disable" reduced the frequency of freezes -- the longest I went without a freeze was ~12 days.

In my experience, it is possible to know when something does *not* solve the problem -- the machine freezes.

On the other hand, with "Typical Current Idle" it is ~5 months since I last saw a "freeze when idle" -- so far, so good.

0 Kudos
shinobi
Adept I
Adept I

imshalla​, There is a new BIOS update for the Asus X370 Pro. Any luck with it in its default settings ?

PRIME X370-PRO BIOS & FIRMWARE | Motherboards | ASUS USA

Version 4024 2018/09/28          8.16 MBytes

PRIME X370-PRO BIOS 4024
1. Improve system performance

More tight-lipping here too. They never clearly say, what they fixed.

0 Kudos
imshalla
Adept II
Adept II

What the "Typical Current Idle" option does is secret :(

On my machine (Ryzen 7 1800X, Asus X370-Pro, BIOS 4012), zenstates.py tells me:

Low Current Idle    : C6 Package Enabled   : C6 Core Enabled

Typical Current Idle: C6 Package Disabled  : C6 Core Enabled

Auto                : C6 Package Enabled   : C6 Core Enabled

and all three have the same three P-States:

P0: FID=90 DID=8 VID=20 Ratio=36.00 vCore=1.35000

P1: FID=80 DID=8 VID=2C Ratio=32.00 vCore=1.27500

P2: FID=84 DID=C VID=68 Ratio=22.00 vCore=0.90000

[I thought that "Typical Current Idle" might be fiddling with P2, but that does not seem to be the case.]

I imagine there are many more parameters I could look at, if only I knew more. For completeness, I leave all other BIOS options in their default state.

While I was checking the effect of the "Current Idle" options, I noticed something peculiar about setting "Typical Current Idle". I started with:

0)                       "Typical Current Idle"   was: C6 Package Disabled

and then:

1) reboot into BIOS, set "Low Current Idle",     gave: C6 Package Enabled

2) reboot into BIOS, set "Typical Current Idle", gave: C6 Package Enabled !

3) shutdown and restart,                         gave: C6 Package Disabled !

So... after a cold boot, you may find that "Typical Current Idle" has more effect.

0 Kudos
imshalla
Adept II
Adept II

Omertà :(

As noted above, I had a look yesterday to see what I could discover about the "Power Supply Idle Control" options.

Surprisingly, for BIOS 4012 the "Typical Current Idle" option does not take (full) effect until after a cold boot -- or, at least, C6 Package is not disabled until after the cold boot !!

I have just installed 4024.  As far as I can tell:

1. the "Auto" (default) setting for "Power Supply Idle Control", is still "Low Current Idle".
  2. but setting "Typical Current Idle" no longer requires a cold boot -- hurrah !

The effect of the options appear unchanged, so I will continue with "Typical Current Idle".

samx
Adept II
Adept II

Guys I'm having the same problem of freezing and restarts when i do simple tasks like watching youtube or just idle. I even changed my PSU but same problem. BUT this problem started after I updated to windows 10 1809(the version that released in October 2018). I am reading about disabling c states and the "typical current idle". Can this problem happen on windows too? If i remember even my Windows installation hung(The spinning dots just stopped in motion) when I tried to install it 3 days ago and the machine was restarting every 30 mins. Since yesterday it only restarted twice in a day while doing light tasks.

I have ryzen 1600 + gigabyte b450 motherboard. Please suggest what to do. I was almost going to RMA my board until I read this thread...Can the cpu shut down during windows install due to the "current idle" thing ? ( I also did a bios update a few days ago after which this started but i have reverted to the old bios but still it restarted once yesterday) .I really appreciate your replies.

0 Kudos